Marathon Trainers

Happy New Year - Week of 1/4/10 (Read 251 times)

Dave

Happy New Year, Blister!

Because I'm not a pre-dawn runner, I have no running to post to this thread (yet). 

Sending out the healing vibes to our injured comrades out there.  For the rest of you, get out there and log some miles.  

Except Perry who should rest or something.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ringmaster

My condolences to PDR and Lou. I'm thinking of you and praying for comfort and peace.

Pam, I'm so sorry you're not well! You're still a rockin' mama, and I hope you find a good solution for your injury and to minimize the pain.

Well, the 20-miler was just plain foolishness, is what it was. I had in my head that I wanted to see how it went to see if I should run the marathon in late February, and so I did it. But probably I shouldn't have. I hadn't run anything longer than 11 miles in over a month. But I'm nothing if not stubborn, and I refused to quit even when (1) I had to come back to the house for a hat because it was about 40 degrees out; (2) Garmie died before the first half-mile. What I did prove to myself is that I can run a long way when I make myself. I ran EVERY STEP of the run, which was actually 21 miles since I was running blind. But it wasn't worth it! I was so tired post-run, tireder than I've ever been after a run of that distance. And today my knees were shot--I set out for a 6-miler and ended up walking 2 because my right knee felt so strained.

So I think continuing to train with the mileage and effort required of 26.2 is a bad idea. Instead I'm going to shoot for the 15K and 5k Saturday, then the 13.1 Sunday. I'll probably stack 12-milers back to back to train for it but I don't have to do the 20-milers that keep me on my feet so long.

Are you all freezing too? It was UNDER 40 today, and no matter what you might think about my great rack, I looked like a small sausage as I set out all bundled up. Two friends gave me belated Christmas gifts yesterday--a great beanie with a ponytail hole and a reflective vest--and I tell you I had no waist. Running pants, tank, short sleeve over that, long sleeve, then reflective vest--I was a running-walking cylinder. But warm! They say temps will keep dropping so I'm thankful to have some cooler-weather gear.

Mason, our English bulldog caught a lizard once, and just looked at us with this look of "Now what?" as the lizzie ran around in his mouth. He promptly spit it out.

Great moose, Erika. Sometime I'll take pictures for you of all your ducks, which are hanging out with us (or were until the freeze warning), and some bright pink flamingos. I'm sorry about your setback, by the way. I feel the same way about my knees derailing my spring marathon. In my case it's my own dumb fault--lack of cross- and strength-training--and I'm determined to do better this year.

Still have to lose about 10 STUBBORN pounds. Thank goodness all that holiday junk is out of the house.

(It's funny that a few months ago I didn't have a web-enabled phone, but now that I do I'm so frustrated that it won't let me post to the thread anymore. I'm checking on you guys all the time, though, even when I can't write in.)

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

Yeah, 287 days in a row and counting.  Looking forward to seeing Perry and his DW in March at the National races.

3 recovery miles this morning.

Funeral at 10, reception at 3, then 25 people coming to our house for dinner.  We've hosted 15-25 people at our place since last Wednesday and we're looking forward to tomorrow when things start getting back to normal.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Ran 4.5 on the treadmill because I was being a baby about the cold wind.  I feel like I can take the temps but not the wind.  It's 30 degrees but with the windchill it feels like 18.     

Did hill repeats, though, and that was good.

Good to hear from you Karina.  I was wondering how you've been.  21 miles?   Sounds like you're being smart, not stubborn.  Me, I run the marathons even when I'm not trained for them.  And I desperately need to lose 10 pounds too.

I worked at the gym this morning for the first time in awhile and I was annoyed at how much weight I've gained.

Ok, who's running National- full or half?   It's decision time.  I have some friends who are running the half at National who want me to run with them there and I have some friends who are running the Shamrock 1/2 Marathon in Virginia Beach which is the same weekend.    Need to pick....  Smile

Lou, We'll continue to think of you and the family as you go through this hard time.

Hail to The Victors!

Getting ready to go out here.  Snow just fell here, just enough for me to comtemplate indoors as I have some speed to do.  Time to go around and around in circles for 9 miles.  At 8 laps to the mile, it gets dizzy!

Dave, four days in a row!   Keep it up!  You should come up to Traverse City memorial Day and run the Bayshore 10K!  The wife and I are really thinking about it.  The half filled up quick, and I'm not running the full 6 weeks after Boston (no way!), so I'm thinking the 10K.

Dave

I hate the 10K distance but it does sound nice.  Might be a plan.  I'm also considering running the HM in Toledo. 

I'm trying to keep a streak up and see how it goes.  Day 5 today.  3.75 miles on the treadmill with 2.5 at tempo pace.

Snowing outside my window (again).  Not expecting much.

Vixi, 40F is shorts weather for me.  .  Hope your legs feel better.  I think it's best if we all left the running stunts to Perry and Pam.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

{peeking around to see if I'm still allowed here}

Hey guys.

Sorry to be so sparse around here the last 3 weeks or so, but I had some pretty frustrating pain in my right knee on my last run and decided to take the last 2 weeks of the year off.  Coming in here and seeing all your running made me want to run too much, so I stayed away.

Lou, I'm really sorry for you and PDR's loss.  My prayers are with you and all her family.

Looks like I'm not the only one feeling the injury pinch - hope everyone recovers well from what ails them.

I did run a little over 2 today and felt good.  I'm taking it very slowly right now, because that 2 week break was brutal and I sure don't want to have to sit for an extended break.  My only regret is that I didn't get my run done and logged before Dave kicked my butt on Facebook.  

Happy New Year to everyone.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Time to start getting serious if I plan on doing the Pig as prepared as I would like. Still sore from the New Years Run. Its like Im starting from scratch--which isnt a bad thing. Im basically going to follow the novice training program for this one since my results have gotten worse when Ive tried harder training. Havent put the plan together tyet, will do so this afternoon. But likely will just have 3-4 miles on tap for today.
                  Kimmie

good for you murphy!

maybe I should go with novice...  That might work better than shooting for the stars and not making it.

Good luck at the Pig.  That's on my to do list someday.

Hey facebookers, how do you integrate the RA log and have it show up on your wall?

theyapper

On the road again...

Kim - go to the Application page on facebook and click the preferences tab.  You should see an option on the right side for publishing your activities.  I publish all mine but check the option to exclude my log notes.

Hope that helps.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Dave, Perry has to run so much because he's running for me. Makes sense? My miles have to go somewhere, he might as well have 'em.

Hey Vixi, it was under 40° here this weekend, too! Actually, it was 75° under 40 at a couple points. And don't beat yourself up for the 21 miler. You ran the whole thing and got tired. I don't see the problem there... The next day should've just been a 2-3 mile recovery run anway.

Hi Paul! You're certainly welcome back here. You've got that big ol' red marathon bar on your log, remember? Good job on taking the break you needed.

{{PDR and Lou}} Sure hope you guys get some peace and quiet soon. The stress of having all those people around, even if it's family (especially if??), adds a big load.

Kimmie, I'm with ya on the icky weight gain. Frustrating because I've been working out a lot and I didn't think I was overeating that much. But apparently I was. Bleh.

30 more minutes on the ellipti-hell at lunchtime today.

Last family member left, the kitchen has been cleaned, and it's quiet here.  Well Nate Jr and his mom are leaving tomorrow morning, but they don't count.  It's been a long week.  Of course it was good to see everyone -- too bad these are the circumstances which bring that.  We will have a reunion in the next couple of years.

Kimmie, Harriet and I will be running the half.  Another friend, David (tramps from masters) who you may have met at the start of the race last year will run again, too.  I'm trying to talk him into meeting us for lunch this time.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Just went for a run. Didn't feel like it; getting tired of wind and cold. But DW was going, and  I decided it was worth getting it over with now, so I could enjoy the nice warm shower afterward, and not do it later. 3mi. It was "snowing" - really, just a few flakes barely visible swirling around...

PS: Lou: Glad you all could enjoy the company, and sorry about the circumstances.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

Me too, tired of the wind.

Ran 6 miles- first 3 straight into the wind and over lots of ice... Smile

Turned around and it was a bit easier...  did some pickups.   all in all a good workout.

Bugs

Well, the 20-miler was just plain foolishness, is what it was. I had in my head that I wanted to see how it went to see if I should run the marathon in late February, and so I did it. But probably I shouldn't have. I hadn't run anything longer than 11 miles in over a month. But I'm nothing if not stubborn, and I refused to quit even when (1) I had to come back to the house for a hat because it was about 40 degrees out; (2) Garmie died before the first half-mile. What I did prove to myself is that I can run a long way when I make myself. I ran EVERY STEP of the run, which was actually 21 miles since I was running blind. But it wasn't worth it! I was so tired post-run, tireder than I've ever been after a run of that distance. And today my knees were shot--I set out for a 6-miler and ended up walking 2 because my right knee felt so strained.

Sorry, I am behind on details again but why have you not ran more than 11 miles? Were you sick? And your marathon is 2/22 right? So if you do a two week taper (my preference anyway) you wouldn't even need a 20 quite yet, so you would have had some time to rebuild that long run, not? I agree 6 miles after a LR is too much. Usually I just do 20 minutes EASY ellipitcal and 20 minutes of foam rolling. Try not to focus too much on trying to force yourself on a schedule, feel your way through it.

MTA: Good Job on the 21 miles!

Bugs