Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/29 (Read 309 times)

I almost forgot to start the new week 

Good to run again, but my HR seems high.  I guess I am a bit out of condition.

3.1 miles, 27:55, 8:53/mi, AHR 142 (73% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Nice to see you out running again, Lou.

Nice running for you too, Kim and it was great to hear about running with the DD's.  It is so fun to see them out there and I hope they enjoyed it.

It is a beautiful morning in south east Michigan.  Clear and cool with high temps Tuesday and Wednesday only reaching the upper 60's.  I am going to run this week and I'm excited about it. 

The community where we're living has running trails almost everywhere and there looks like a nice 5 mile loop around our subdivision area.  Tomorrow morning I'm going to get up and run it.

Today, however, will be a big mess .  Closing on the house in an hour and then out of the hotel and out to the house to take delivery of our stuff.  DD11 is starting to have a tough time with the move as the reality of it sets in.  I hope she meets some kids her age pretty quickly.  We're starting her in a volleyball camp (doesn't play but wants to try since its a big sport in the middle/high school here) after the 4th weekend.

Easy runs everyone.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

It's good to be home.  The Shenandoah Valley area of Virginia is hilly!  I spent last week as a counselor at a camp and got to hang out with 7 pretty awesome 14-17 year old guys.  Not a lot of sleep, but still got in a nice 30 mile week.  A little over 3 miles of that was trail hiking and about 1 mile of that was with a 120 pound camper on my back after he hurt his hammie!

Nice to be home, though.  Today was a easy 4 miles.

I have a marathon training question that I need some help with.  I'm set on the Hal Higdon 18 week program, and since my marathon is Nov. 14, that puts my first week at July 13.  The only problem I see is that I'm going on a trip to India in mid-October, and my 20 mile run is scheduled for the Saturday that I return, which means I'm not doing it because I'm sure I'll be travel weary.  So, do I start the 18 week period earlier (say, like today) so that my India trip actually falls on the taper which leave me 2 weeks shy of the marathon after the training program ends, or leave it the way it is and not worry about it?  Or possibly you marathon vets have an even better idea?

If it helps, I have no real time goal for the marathon.  It's my first and I'd just like to finish smiling.  If I do that under 5 hours, I'll be very happy.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

(Modifying -- you have to shift it two weeks, not one weeks, I now realize)

You could start it 2 weeks early and add 2 weeks just after the 20miler to extend it.

How about:

• week 14 (14mi long)
          • week 15 (20mi long)
          • week 16 (12mi long)
          • week 11 (16mi long)
          • week 16 (12mi long)
          • week 17 (8mi long) final taper

Or you could start it at the normal time and push the 20mi out to the next Wed medium long run instead -- and interchange Thu (4m) and Fri (rest) so the rest is after the 20mi. That following Sat is only 12mi anyway, so it doesn't need a rest before it. But the Wed after you return, you might still be tired, and Wed might be an inconvenient day for a 20-miler for you.

I think starting 2 weeks early seems a pretty reasonable solution.

Of course, I'm only an amateur, guessing at this.

PS: I assumed you are using one of these two (which look equivalent to me):

Hal Higdon Novice marathon plans

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

Dave,

I hope the move goes good. Hopefully your daughter will meet some nice neighborhood kids. Don't worry too much. When we moved houses last time the kids, cats, and horses were all freaking out and I was a major worry wort that the move was a mistake. Everything ironed out eventually.

Lou,

Glad to hear you're running. The old paces will come back quickly.

theyapper66,

I don't know. I suppose it depends how you feel. I ran my best marathon with a two week taper. No matter what you will be fine.

For the first time is killing me, I am burnt out on exercise and am spending more time working in the yard than working out. This P90X is hard, and the upper body and ab stuff is killing me. My quads are still sore and I've limited my miles to no more than four at a time. DH wants to run the Fargo half with me next spring. Wonder if he'll be faster than me. Smile

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

Thanks Perry and Bugs for the ideas and encouragement.  I've decided to make the 18 week plan a 20 week plan and just kind of play it by ear around my India trip.  I am following the Hal Higdon Intermediate I plan and it calls for 2 20 milers, and this way I'll have them both done before I get on the plane for the 15-18 hour flights . By that time, I'll be a month out from my marathon and will at least know that I've tackled 20 miles twice.  I picked a couple earlier weeks to repeat after the second 20 miler and then the taper at the end.  It'll all work out.  Hard to believe I'm officially starting to train for my first marathon.  I am pretty excited.

Paul

evanflein

Paul, I think you'll be fine. If you could push one of those long runs at the end a little bit that might be good (that's a long taper otherwise), but with your goal I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'm back from Seattle. Oy am I beat... I was exhausted yesterday and slept pretty much the whole plane ride home, which is cool. Got to bed at 1:30, up at 6:30 and on time to work. Whew! Leaving early though because DH is having knee surgery today! He'll be ready to go by about 4 so I'll leave early and take him home. Rest of the day will be taking care of him so I'll have to do my errands (we're out of dog food!) at lunchtime... So... no run for me today that I can foresee. I'll try to get my Seattle race report done tonight. It was a terrific weekend, with the race being the focal point but by no means the highlight of the time we spent there. Details to follow, with lots of pictures of people most of you guys won't know... but Lou will!

Hail to The Victors!

The community where we're living has running trails almost everywhere and there looks like a nice 5 mile loop around our subdivision area.  Tomorrow morning I'm going to get up and run it.

Easy runs everyone.

Hey Dave:

How bout some racing this Saturday?

http://www.hungryduckrun.com/

Come be stupid!  Run a half!  Alternately, I thought about this one:

http://www.runmichigan.com/calendar/event_detail1.php?recordID=2520

The first one is closer to you than the second by about 10 minutes...

Details to follow, with lots of pictures of people most of you guys won't know... but Lou will!

Can't wait for the pictures!

Please let your husband know we're thinking about him for his surgery.

Sounds like some good racing went on this past weekend! WTG!

Nice to see you running again Lou!

Hope things are going well Dave! I'm sure your DD will settle right in. May take awhile but she's got great parents that have done everything they can to help with the transition as well as prepare her over the past moves! Cool that you have lots of running trails so close! Enjoy them Smile

Paul, I think you can pretty much do what you want. Glad your home! 

Welcome back home Erika! Can't wait to read your report and see pictures! Good luck to your dh with his surgery! 

Bugs (((((HUGS))))))) Sorry to hear your so burnt out! Sounds like you could use a nice week at a spa (course so could I lol). 

As for me, twins started day camp today . SO daily doubles started.  Hopefully I don't get to "stupid" with my doubles. Anyway Kallie is doing AWESOME. I think we're going to let her go to bed without her cone tonight wish us luck (that she doesn't go to town on herself while we are sleeping).  The third 5k of a summer series is Wed. I'm debating on how to run it.  Trying to decide if I'm willing to go all out on a hot summer night. Guess I better decide cause I've gotta get in the right frame of mind if I'm going to go for a PR

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Great to hear about Kallie, Pam!

Bugs - hang in there.

Good run today, but HR is high telling me I lost some conditioning.  This has been my longest layoff since starting running, so that's not too much of a surprise.

7.1 miles, 57:28, 8:04/mi, AHR 168 (86% MHR)

Last time I ran about this pace in the same temps, my HR was 150 Smile

theyapper

On the road again...

Lou - I'm sure your HR will return to normal levels soon.  I know you're glad to be running again.

Hope you find some peace and rest, Bugs.  I love hearing about your training, but rest is a part of that, too.

How'd your DH's knee surgery go, Erika?

Out early this morning (5:15 a) for a 5.6 mile run.  100% humidity, but temps in the mid 50s. 

Paul

Bugs

Chest and Back today. It was all push-ups and pull-ups. I can't do real pull-ups. I have to either rest one leg on a step, or use the bands. I can't do the military push-ups (elbows beside the waist). What muscles does this require because God forgot to give them to me? And the ab workout...oh my this froggies bring me down. I know it'll get easier. It just sucks because I suck at it so bad, which probably means I need it.

Bugs

Lou, I'm with Paul Smile

Nice run Paul Smile

Damn Bugs you make me feel like such a slacker in the exercise department. Dh asked about starting back with weights this week. He suggested Thursday. Not a good day to start since DD has a softball game which means it will be a late night for the kids. Ughhhhhhhhh getting back into anything that isn't running seems to take forevor Sad

Got 6 miles done after dropping the twins off. Will try to get out again tonight for another 6 or however many my legs feel like doing. I'm thinking tomorrow's race will be done as a tempo. I'm not looking to for short race pr's what i'm looking to do is get my longer distance pace down. I put any real focus into the 5k and tomorrow nights weather more than likely is gonna be hot/humid and the course isn't a fast course. So with that said I'll probably run tomorrow morning as well.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hey Bugs, great job doing pushups and pullups, which is *great* -- I've been slacking off of any kind of strength or core stuff for months now -- I often think of it when I'm about to run, but by the time I'm done running, I'm no longer in the mood, or feel it is too late at night, etc....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.