Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/18/2011 (Read 235 times)

I always treasure the races two weeks after a marathon...a person is rested, mostly recovered from the race, and generally mentally ready to get after it again.  

heh

but I hate 5Ks.  If done right they really hurt.

Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I understand they can really hurt when done wrong, as well. Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

So before my little bout with neck problems I was looking to go sub 1:45 for my HM on the 1st.  I decide to up my goal to 1:47 after set back. Watcha think????? btw log is open for members of my group to look at.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

holy mackarel you've got some long distances in your PR list!

I guess only you know how much you can crank up the speed when the time comes, my pace was consistently around 7:48 for all of my tempo runs last year and had a 1:46, and it looks like yours are all 8:38-9 min/mi. 

I put your latest tempo workout in the runnersworld training calculator and it came out with a prediction of 1:55 for a half.  But, those calculators don't consider your base, and yours is looking really good.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/trainingcalculator/0,7169,s6-238-277-279-0,00.html

holy mackarel you've got some long distances in your PR list!

I guess only you know how much you can crank up the speed when the time comes, my pace was consistently around 7:48 for all of my tempo runs last year and had a 1:46, and it looks like yours are all 8:38-9 min/mi. 

I put your latest tempo workout in the runnersworld training calculator and it came out with a prediction of 1:55 for a half.  But, those calculators don't consider your base, and yours is looking really good.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/trainingcalculator/0,7169,s6-238-277-279-0,00.html

Those include warm up and cool downs Gen Wink Click on the workout it will have mile splits Smile  My first half marathon was 1:50:51 with no speed work  and NO base 

MTA: and with both my 5k  and my 10k race this year they both put me around 1:44- 1:45 from Mcmillian and the RW tool. And  at the time I didn't give it my all, though with injury and time off my confidence has suffered and not sure how much fitness I lost.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

heh, I don't have any idea about your pace (sorry), but I love your "Frankie" runs.

Similarly, Harriet said I should make a special category for when I run with her Smile

heh, I don't have any idea about your pace (sorry), but I love your "Frankie" runs.

Similarly, Harriet said I should make a special category for when I run with her Smile

It USED to be Kallie but since ds is training for his 1st 5k I changed it. Figured , if I'm running with him it counts. I actually ended up making him his own account so that he can log his runs in since I'm not always the one that runs with him.

MTA: makes it easier to track his progress without having  to log into his account

theyapper

On the road again...

both my 5k  and my 10k race this year they both put me around 1:44- 1:45 from Mcmillian and the RW tool. And  at the time I didn't give it my all, though with injury and time off my confidence has suffered and not sure how much fitness I lost.

I can help you with your confidence level:

YOU ARE A FREAKIN' MACHINE!!!

I think you'll do better than you think you will.  Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

you know what, you know you can do it, agree that your confidence is the only problem.

Check out your teeny legs, those things are built to run forever.

I can help you with your confidence level:

YOU ARE A FREAKIN' MACHINE!!!

I think you'll do better than you think you will.  Wink

Thanks Paul!!!

you know what, you know you can do it, agree that your confidence is the only problem.

Check out your teeny legs, those things are built to run forever.

lol@teeny legs. My run today was a confidence builder. Think I'm ready!

11 miles with 4 moderate miles and 4 speedier miles. Felt pretty good. I'm ready for "taper"

12 easy for me with Harriet this morning.  We did some Frederick sightseeing along the way, looking for the collapsed jug bridge, and then at the jug monument which used to be at the end of the bridge, now moved a couple miles away. http://nationalpike.blogspot.com/2008/01/jug-bridge-frederick-maryland.html has a picture of the jug monument, and two blogs later shows the concrete arched bridge we ran on.  Normally we run on the steel arched bridge.

We did see the old abutment on the west side of the river.  Maybe we'll go down there some day.  

Bugs

Pam,

sorry to hear you were injured. You are an athlete like no other, you will do great.

Brings up a topic, a friend in town who is a sports pyschologist has started an org called Runner's Edge (http://www.runnersedgemn.com/weeklyruns.php, it is all about the pyschology of running. Do you know people that would be helped by this? Is it just another way to make money from obessed runners that buy anything to do with running?

I have one friend I believe this would help her marathon, and likely would help many people in a 5K. But overall I'm not convinced of value.

I would like to do their Run Smart Program, http://www.runnersedgemn.com/runsmart.php and find out why I constantly strain my adductors.

Bugs is training hard.

1 hour swim on Friday

3.1 Miles Yesterday at 8:50 pace. Felt Great.

8 miles on bike at 40F this morning. Froze my toes. This first TRI in one week. Swim is inside, but I will freeze in a swimsuit even with warm layers on top. This TRI may be more stupid than the marathon.

Bugs