Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/30/2010 (Read 128 times)

Happy Camper

It's time for the Heart of America here in Columbia, MO, Erika.  We're guarenteed no worse than our second largest field and might just break the record.  51st running.  Heck even SR Lopez is running it this year.  Second time I've ran it he's registered.  He no-showed a few years ago.  Hope I get to meet him.  Looks like I'll have to find him at the start because I won't be able to keep up. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

Had an interesting 6 mile pace run this morning - ended up 30 sec/mile faster than my projected MP.  Felt tired, but not spent, and so I'm wondering if I need to slow my pace runs down or quicken my projected MP.  Who knows?  Well, probably someone here. Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Well, 6 miles isn't a real "true" test of holding planned MP, but it's a start. How'd you feel? I'd say if you could do a mile or so warm up, and then hold planned MP easily for 6-8 miles, maybe it's time to reconsider MP. It shouldn't feel "hard," after all this is a pace you'll want to hold for 26.2 miles, right? But... I'd have someone like Lou or Perry (or Jeremy, are you out there?) chime in. They're all much better at pacing than I am.

5.1 miles on the ultra trail. This is the part they added on from about mile 25.4 to about half mile from the finish. A good run, some hills, all trails, some with roots but not bad. Kept the effort pretty easy, looking out for my longer runs up Ester Dome this weekend.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I run a lot of my runs at 30sec slower than MP. My 16mi avg yesterday was probably about 30sec slower than my MP -- if I take 3:20 as my MP pace, then that is 7:38, and 30sec slower is 8:08.

Oops, never mind -- I misread Paul's post as 30sec slower than MP.  Never mind.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

I do run most runs slower than my hoped for MP, but a pace run is supposed to be run at that MP, right?  So, if my pace for the marathon in 9:45 but I run 6 and average 9:14 and feel pretty good, then I'm trying to figure out what that means.  Probably that I need to slow my pace run down to be closer to what i actually think I'll run in a marathon, and 9:45 seems pretty close (that'd be around a 4:15:00 finish).

I did a half marathon today, but got no medal since it was just my long run.  Again, my RP ran faster than I wanted to go, so my avg pace was about 9:50/mile and I was done by the end.  Legs were tired from the pace run the day before.  I've been trying to keep my long runs closer to 10:15/mile, so this took a bit more energy than I wanted to give.  BUT...it's done and now it's off to the beach!

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!

Paul

Kimmie

Ran 7 miles on a loop that I haven't run in awhile.   Very pretty lakes and birds to look at while running.   Felt great as it is cooler and breezy here today.

Good luck to you Bryan.  I've always wanted to meet SRLopez, too.

evanflein

Paul, you might find that your MP-pace run, and then the HM done today will really help improve your fitness and pace for future runs. The key will be adequate recovery so make sure you refuel and rest well today, then just ez run the next day or so (and rest). I've found that the week after a really hard long run or running weekend, my runs are so much better. Hope that works for you.

Hey Kimmie! Nice run for you in a new place. I first met SRLopez in Seattle in Nov. 2007, then again later in December. After that it's been "near miss" where I see him and wave, or he sees me and waves, but we don't see each other. 

Planning the Ester Dome run again today, up the hill, the out-and-back and back down. A week ago Wednesday this run took me about 2:07 for the 13.6 miles. (48 minutes to the top, 45 for the out and back and 34 for the trip down) Goal is to do the same or a little better, but not to kill myself trying to do that.

Cashmason

Yay Kimmie is posting again ! Good questions on pace Paul.

30 seconds faster than MP is a tempo run, I'd say

I had a decent run today -- 20.2 miles, 3:03:14, 9:04/mi, AHR 150 (73% MHR) with 10@9:13(145), 10.22@8:55(154).  Not as fast as I've run it, and the conditions were just about perfect, but 20 is 20, so I'll take it and log it.

I had trouble getting into RA earlier.  Anyone else?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

RA was down for me most of the morning, Lou.  I saw Paul's post  about the script errors.  Very nice 20. 

Picked up my run packet this afternoon.  Some nice perks this year.  We will have chip timing this year.  Post race is at Shakespeares Pizza downtown.  If you've ever watched a MIZZOU game they usually run a segment or show a shot of them tossing pizzas there.  It will be warm and windy but hopefully not so much humidity.  I will be slugging down ecaps for sure.  Gun fires at 6:00am tomorrow morning.  I hope to run similar pacing as Kirksville in July.  Last year I had a 1:58 1/2 only to slog the last 10k in 84 minutes and finish in 4:42.    Hope to stay strong the second 1/2 tomorrow and will key on that last 10k. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice to see RA back to normal.  Weird stuff going on this morning for all of us, Lou.

I'm resting today (as much as you can rest when you're at the beach with 3 children!) and will run recovery pace tomorrow.  I've decided to stay with what I'm doing and not make any drastic pace changes only 4 weeks into the training cycle.  If nothing else, my pace runs being this much quicker than what I expected makes me feel even better about running 9:45 pace during my marathon, and that's well below the 11:02 I averaged per mile in my first.

I will make an effort on my pace runs to stay closer to my targeted MP, and my long runs (at least when I run by myself) will truly be LSD.  Don't want to race my training runs, that's for sure.

Hope the race goes well for you, Bryan.

Paul