Marathon Trainers

Week of 9/7 (Read 302 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Wow.  You Sunday runners did great yesterday.  When i got done with my long run on Saturday, I had the third highest weekly mileage of the group.  After yesterday, I was 12th.    Oh well, still a personal weekly high for me.

Got this week kicked off with 5 easy recovery miles.  Happy Labor Day!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Nice week, and nice run today, TY.

Essentially a rest day for me -- just enough to get the blood pumping a bit to flush out the carp.  Man was it a great day to run -- 54° and light breeze -- perfect!

3.1 miles, 27:47, 8:56/mi, AHR 130 (67% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I have a bit of a dilemma going on. I had planned on running a half marathon next weekend but scrapped it when I decided that I was going to go for 100 miles.  Well I got a call yesterday from a GF who is doing another half marathon next weekend. It's considered a trail marathon though it's not technical at all. Now I haven't done any "real" speed work the past few months. I didn't get much sleep at all this weekend, though I did make up for a bit by not waking up (other than the 4-5 bathroom breaks) until 10 this morning. I am soooooooooo not confidant in my speed right now since I've been doing nothing but easy (a couple moderate paced runs) for the past 2 months.

Ok typing this all out has made me decide that I don't have to necessarily get my goal time, that I can use it as a tempo run for my Oct 11 marathon. Anyway with that said what should I freaken run this week if I am actually doing that on Sunday. I'm afraid that I will run too much to give me any shot at getting anywhere close to what my goal is.

THIS is why I don't race. I would spend too much time over thinking (unless I had a coach) So much easier to just run!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

TY - nice 5er! Oh no TY sorry about the drop haha

Lou - nice run and you are right it's a great day for running!

I went and volunteered at a race in town. Figured since I'm not racing and I miss it I would go volunteer at a race!! Sure enough it worked wonders!! I stood on a corner and helped to direct traffic - but mostly i just cheered people on!! It was very cool! Now i'm off to the grocery store and then it's a date with Mr. Plyo!

Pam - the thing is that you have to do what you enjoy doing. No one says you have to do races to be competitive and race. Many people go to these for the social nature and the fun. And that's fine. As far as how much to run - I have no clue... I say do what makes you happy!!! And that will get you where you want to go!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Pam: Not that I know anything about coaching etc, but being unafraid to run my mouth anyway, I'd suggest going easy and not too long on Thu & Fri -- maybe even just short & easy on Fri, and if you were going to go long on Wed, cut it back to mid-long -- assuming your half is Sat.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I WANT to race Shan!   I want to enjoy racing! I've got the running thing down pat now and like you I want to reach my potential. I had started this journey after Run for the Red, HOWEVER then came my 100 miler (the week before my speedwork was to start happening) Had I not done my 100 I would not be posting this!  However I am out of my groove cause of it and trying to get back into it.  You have no idea what running a race like that  does to you afterwards not only physicaly  but emotionaly as well (as I'm finding out)

Perry the race is on Sunday My plan WAS 

Today:5.5 easy in the am 4-5 easy in the pm

Tuesday 8-9 easy 

Wed 12-14 with 5-6 faster paced miles

Thurs-4-5 am easy -4- 5 easy in the afternoon

Friday 8-10 easy

Sat-5-6 easy

Sun- 18-20 

So of course this AIN"T happening if I do the race. Problem is knowing me I'll end up following the schedule and only change Sunday and that WOULD NOT be good. I HATE being a Gemini!!

MTA: if you can't tell the kids start school tomorrow lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

Pam, but maybe racing for you doesn't happen at the shorter distances. Maybe you are truly an ultra woman. Maybe it's at those distances where you will learn how to love racing.

I guess i'm thinking that the one thing we KNOW is that you love to run long distances and so in my mind it doesn't make sense for you to try to force yourself into running shorter distance races. Ultra's seem to call to you and someplace deep inside you aches to do them. So why not figure out how to train to race at the ultra distance?? and forget all this short distance nonsense!

Pam: Not that I know anything about coaching etc, but being unafraid to run my mouth anyway, I'd suggest going easy and not too long on Thu & Fri -- maybe even just short & easy on Fri, and if you were going to go long on Wed, cut it back to mid-long -- assuming your half is Sat.

have I told you lately I LOVE YOU (the not being afraid to run your mouth of kind of way)

Pam, but maybe racing for you doesn't happen at the shorter distances. Maybe you are truly an ultra woman. Maybe it's at those distances where you will learn how to love racing.

Well after the 100 miler I decided marathon and maybe 50k is the distance I love  most! I've just gotta race one first lol . I can't race any if I keep doing ultras!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Perry the race is on Sunday My plan WAS 

Today:5.5 easy in the am 4-5 easy in the pm

Tuesday 8-9 easy 

Wed 12-14 with 5-6 faster paced miles

Thurs-4-5 am easy -4- 5 easy in the afternoon

Friday 8-10 easy

Sat-5-6 easy

Sun- 18-20 

So of course this AIN"T happening if I do the race. Problem is knowing me I'll end up following the schedule and only change Sunday and that WOULD NOT be good. I HATE being a Gemini!!

MTA: if you can't tell the kids start school tomorrow lol

What about cutting Friday's distance back down to maybe 5-7, and doing the half on Sunday, and then adding a slow mid-long Sunday night if you feel up for it? That keeps almost all the schedule and fits the race?

Oh, and moving the kids stchool start day to... oh, probably can't do that, never mind... Wink

MTA: I might chop off a mile or two Sat -- have suspicion it may not matter as you have big base, but just for psychological feeling of taper.

And add some easy striders several times through the week, per spaniel's recent post on engaging fast twitch muscles.

What about cutting Friday's distance back down to maybe 5-7, and doing the half on Sunday, and then adding a slow mid-long Sunday night if you feel up for it? That keeps almost all the schedule and fits the race?

Oh, and moving the kids stchool start day to... oh, probably can't do that, never mind... Wink

YOU ARE BAD!!!  I LIKE IT! I think i'll cut today to just 1 run (Ken's getting ready to go out for his long run so I don't really have time for 2 today) and keep the rest of the week the same other than cutting Friday's distance down. Oh and if I could only move the start day today lol

BTW after talking to Ken, I will be running the Half. I need something to force my body out of the pattern that the 100 miler has put it into! I knew before doing it what was going to happen and yet I still did it *sigh*  Like trail races I have to give up the Ultra's until I'm done with the roads. I've enjoyed my base building now it's time to work on the engine!

MTA: 

Today-5-6 easy

Tues-8-9 easy

Wed 12-14 with 5-6 moderate paced miles mixed in

Thurs 5-6 easy in am 4-5 easy pm

Friday 5-6 easy

Sat 3-4 easy

Sun- HM  am 4-5 in PM (if feeling it)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Another possibility would be to run more after the HM - I mean, get water and food, recover for 5-20min or whatever feels good, then jog some more miles.

I've done that after a 16.6mi race last year (my friend & I went back out and added 2 or 4 more miles, I forget, and it was painful -- very sore legs we had after the race & time to drink water and stiffen up), and I also ran after a race last weekend -- raced a 5K, drank and rested for a couple minutes, joined a friend for the second half of the simultaneous 10K race which came by the finish as mid-point, then later went out for some more miles with a couple other people, to get a lot of mileage in that morning, but not all contiguous (had some rest time in between different outings).

Advantage to adding more mileage at the race is that you've already blocked out that time to be away from the house for running, and it's especially nice if you can pick up any running partners for any of it (maybe some other runner who wants a cooldown). Disadvantage, I suppose, is that your body is already pretty stressed and perhaps sore. Oh,  and if you care about awards ceremony, that interferes with time available to run.

But you have a mileage base no less than mine (and I run after races), and you've gone quite a ways beyond in me in the specific field or running while very, very tired Smile

Unfortunatly I can't stay long after the race. My youngest son's scout kick off picnic is at 1 pm. Race starts at 9 am and is a couple hours away. As it is I'm going to have to meet my family at the picnic. Good thought though!

Oh Mighty Wing

wow, that was some real running talk... awesome!!!

alright off to my date with Mr. Plyo...

CAN"T WAIT to hear from Pace!!!!