Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/12 - 7/19 (Read 186 times)

Dave

Good morning, everyone and welcome to a new week and what feels to me like the mid-point of the summer.

Last week was finally a good running week for me (since I was on vacation for most of it).  6 more on the treadmill yesterday while watching the world cup final took me to almost 25 for the week so I was pleased.  Not as pleased with seeing Holland lose though.  I'm running well again but still haven't done anything longer than about 7 miles.  Time to step it up.

Hopefully Lou's work will balance out a bit and we'll see him back in and running.  I'm sure he's running but maybe not with time to visit much.

Enjoy the week everyone!  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Glad to see a new week, even though last week wasn't too bad (excluding the Saturday running).  Somewhat of a cutback week for me, so 45 minutes of recovery running for me felt awesome this morning.

Now that World Cup is over, we're that much closer to real football.  Thank goodness.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Hey everyone hope everyone is doing well! Been a very busy summer so far and it doesn't look to be getting any less busier for awhile.

Recover well Kimmie!

Congrats on the new 5k pr Erika!

Glad to hear you had a great running week last week Dave!

Not bad Cash for how little you have been running. How were the calves?

Good luck this weekend Perry on your 50k!

As for me i'm pacing a friend from around midnight- 1 am until around 6 am or so at the Philly 20/24 Lone Ranger. That was where I did my first ultra. Hopefully the weather will be much better for him this year. The year I did it, it was well over 100 degrees. I'm thinking I'm going to take at least a couple days off from running in the heat and humidity. I'd really like to be able to help my friend set a new mileage PR this weekend and I'll be tired from a full day of activities on Saturday (twins birthday) so getting the rest now will be beneficial I'm sure. Anyway hope everyone is staying cool or at least trying very hard. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

I've been really busy too and find I miss out on a lot of stuff here.

Glad to hear that Kimmie is getting better and her biggest problem now is boredom. Hang in there, toots. You'll be back on the road soon but don't rush the recovery.

Great job on the weight loss, Murphy! Time for a new photo here, too. The one in our profile page is pretty old, I think.

Bugs, my legs have been tired too. I feel great the first couple of miles but then fatigue sets in fast. I think I'm doing too many hard workouts, not enough recovery. Even on my "rest" days I over do it in the garden or something like cleaning the garage. This week I'm going to focus on keeping things easier than last week. I ended up with almost 54 miles last week, and yesterday's 15 miler turned into a 13.6 mile wind-battered struggle. My pace was way too fast but I have a real hard time pacing with such strong wind. Ah hates da wind.

Most of our races are pretty reasonable, but that 5k I ran on the 4th was $20. The 10k I ran in June was only $15! The 8k this Saturday is $25... but it's a fund raiser for the local opera company and I don't mind supporting them. The 5k supported the high school cross country team, and since my kid slacked off on fundraising when he was on it, I figured I could pony up $20 for them. I guess I'm saving money this year because I'm not running many marathons.

Today is a gym day, I'll head there after work and hop on the elliptical and maybe do some weights.

Dave

I've struggled a lot with pacing too these days.  Can't find my HRM strap for my Garmin so I've been running without HR data as a guide.  Too many miles in the 8's and not enough in the mid-upper 9's.  I've struggled with endurance so I know some longer efforts are important and I'll have to slow down to get my mileage up.

6 today in some humid weather.  Not too hot but sweating buckets.  Time for a rest day soon.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

11&change this morning.  Bone study weight training earlier tonight.  Feel tired but have some work stuff to do tonight.  I hate being soaked after every run but think I'm used to the heat and humidity.  Run streak is at 100 days. 

Most races here are $20.00 unless it is an event.  Marathons are $50-$60.  We have  about 6 free races for track club members during the year.  <sigh>  Time to turn the laundry over. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

Bryan - 100 days straight.  Very impressive.  Congrats.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Went to track early and decided if I got in enough distance before some friends showed up, I'd try to make it a long run with fast second half. That worked out pretty well, except I didn't make the whole 8mi with them -- actually with one of them -- he was running just above 7min/mile,and I could keep up with him. His daughter was going faster so I ignored her. So I got my 6.5mi warmup in, then nearly 6.5mi of about tempo, then another couple slow (me being tired and getting a couple drinks, and just jogging around all tired while they zoomed around the track some more).  So I think I just did my hard workout for the week, so that's kind of nice to have behind me.

Now feet are sore again.

PS: re: soaked after run -- yeah, I always use a towel to sit on afterward now, cause I'm always soaked these days.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Bugs

Where did I use to find the time to train? Nothing today, getting up early tomorrow.

Marathons are really expensive. When I think about the entry fee + hotel + traveling costs I could run every little race in town. I wish more small races were not on Saturdays which don't work my taxie Mom Schedule.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, that's why I don't do away marathons actually.

evanflein

If I didn't do "away" marathons, I'd do just one per year! I'd love to do more this year, but just don't see how it could happen. Never say never though...

6.1 easy pace/effort miles tonight. Smoke cleared a bit and temps in the low 60's. Worked at keeping the pace easy, or at least the effort and it seemed to pay off. I was able to run up the hill to home without fading or stopping, pace was around 9 m/m for those two hardest miles. 8:42 overall average pace.

Kimmie

Just got back from my first run in over 2 weeks!  Smile  Went super slow, 11 minute pace, almost and only ran 2.5 miles.  but I was so glad to get out there.  Sure beats laying on the couch for endless hours.

Interesting to me that my heart rate was low, but my body wasn't really allowing me to speed up.  

Great to be back, sorta....    Still have to decide what to do, if anything, about a marathon.  I'm not thinking I can shoot for Steamtown, still.   But, I'll just see how the next month goes.

nice running everybody.  I've been living vicariously through you all.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Welcome back Kimmie.

evanflein

Yay Kimmie!! I bet that felt good. When is Steamtown? Just checked my own schedule thread...

October 10. Hmmm, well... You've got a good base, you're in good shape and your downtime wasn't caused by a running injury. I don't see why you couldn't.

Happy Camper

Just got back from my first run in over 2 weeks!  Smile  Went super slow, 11 minute pace, almost and only ran 2.5 miles.  but I was so glad to get out there.  Sure beats laying on the couch for endless hours.

Interesting to me that my heart rate was low, but my body wasn't really allowing me to speed up.  

Great to be back, sorta....    Still have to decide what to do, if anything, about a marathon.  I'm not thinking I can shoot for Steamtown, still.   But, I'll just see how the next month goes.

nice running everybody.  I've been living vicariously through you all.

It's a downhill marathon isn't it?  GO FOR IT! 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.