Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/2 (Read 328 times)

Kimmie

Hey, Where's Mr. I? Hey you all.... feel like it's been some really good running around here... you people run a lot. Smile I am debating on whether or not to try to get one more long run in. I already mentioned that Saturday did not go well for me. Tightness in the legs that just wouldn't loosen up. So, today, I could possibly get in three hours of running and then I would really truly start to taper. It almost seems mental more than anything else. hmm......

Oh Mighty Wing

maybe play it be feet... go out and see where your feet take you with no real goal of how far to go in mind?? no run this am - my legs are pretty tired after the weekend. i'll get in a nice shake-out this afternoon though.
        I don't know -- if I tried to run 3 hours "by feel" (or by feet Smile) that wouldn't work out too well -- I think it takes some prearrangement in my mind that it's going to be 3 hours and I'm going to feel bad doing it - that's the mental aspect of running so far.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

i guess what I was trying to say is that if she goes out with the thought of running for 3 hours and feels just done around 1.5 then she might beat herself up about not getting it done. Where if she goes out with the mindset of whatever it is it is then if it only lasts 1.5 she won't beat herself up about it. I'm all about not adding to your stress by adding a compensation run... if you feel like running today for 3 hours then do it, but don't force yourself into it to make up for something. Lou - i'm not running as fast as you either so 3 hours for me might not be as nasty. but you are right in that I need a plan of where to run to get the mileage....

Happy Camper

8.17 miles in 1:19:15, Avg HR was 149. Run after core workout of 130 pullups and 160 chinups. Not a bad start to my first day of being 47. Kimmie: The cummulative effect of training is what has you ready for this marathon. I think a run at this point has only marginal effect. I don't think past runs can be made up. Let this one stand on its own if you do it. If you feel like it, go after it aggressively. You have time to recover and gain from it.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

hey thanks you guys.... I sometimes do better if I go with a plan- like-- I'm running 18 miles no matter what- and then sometimes I do better if I let myself have an option to stop at a certain point. pace- first day of being 47? Today's your birthday? Happy birthday!!! Smile we need a birthday thread... Bugs, hope you're feeling OK.

Oh Mighty Wing

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PACE!!!!!!!
                Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Patience grasshopper. I don't have to get up stupid early right now. I just finished my run and then breakfast about 45 miutes ago. Today is the first day of Bayshroe training! I got in a little over 8 easy miles. It felt good. I am also starting to feel positive that I'm going to be able to smash through my weight loss plateau. My shcedule is finalized. I'm going to try really hard and peak at 60 miles per week. good runs to all.
                    Happy birthday, pace!! Sorry Shan and Kimmie -- I was talking about me who will almost always bail after 1.5 hours if I give myself the option Smile -- that's the beauty of this... what works for one person isn't necessarily the best approach for someone else. So all advice should be listened to, but we need to make our own plans after careful consideration. Sounds like a good plan, Mr I. I've never peaked at 60 yet, but may just do so this training cycle.

Oh Mighty Wing

no need to be sorry. I just felt like i wasn't being clear. Mr. I - very cool that you are starting training! I hope it goes well!!

Dave

Happy Birthday, Pace! (and a belated happy Birthday to Kimmie as well!) Not sure what to advise on the long run, Kimmie. Don't think it will be the determining factor either way. Even slowing down yesterday, my long run has me pretty sore today. Maybe an easy 3 is all I'll muster. Lets see about a summary for those of you who don't want to read the entire thread from last week. It was an interesting week mileage-wise last week for the group. Seems that our newest members are also our mileage kings and queens. Pam is also the highest annual mileage of all the women over in the 2000 mile club so she's setting an awfully high bar of insanity. Lou is hitting his all time personal highs and I'm not really sure what Jeremy is peaking for but his mileage is getting back up there. Speaking of insanity, Shan had her first 50 mile week last week. And it was shortly on the heels of her first 40 mile week. Which was shortly on the heels of her first couple of consistent 30 mile weeks. Which was ... Well, you get the idea. I set a new mark for personal stupidity with 40 miles in 4 runs. What I lack in consistency, I seem to be making up in ability to be peer pressured into long runs. Erika had a great mileage week despite temperatures and ice that would make a polar bear cry and hibernate. Pace seems to be shifting to fewer faster miles. Cash smashed his HM PR and seems to be turning into a runner again. MrI visited us with some bad personal news that looks like it will actually help his running. Still, my prayers are with him. Murphy isn't running much but ultrasounds are really cool. Brian still owes us pictures of the baby. Peach came back and posts her mileage now. Paul (yapper66) is struggling with some knee problems but seems determined to keep at it. Bugs now has two marathons planned and is using one as a training run for the other one. Cool. Another week in Blisterville. Easy miles everyone.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Speaking of insanity, Shan had her first 50 mile week last week.
                          Shan - woo freaking hoo! That's a hellova week! You kind of snuck this one in, huh? Now... consider, just consider, a stepback week. We all need these now and again.

Oh Mighty Wing

Blush Well I didn't run this morning as my legs are tired. Not sore, just tired. Will go for a shake-out after school. We'll see where I land - it'll all just depend on how I feel. The back-to-back mid-distance run thing was interesting... i can't wait till that's just a normal thing!!!

Dave

i can't wait till that's just a normal thing!!!
                              You may do it routinely but I would never describe that as "normal" Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

haha good point!!