Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/26/2010 (Read 197 times)

Hail to The Victors!

Fine!  I'll create this week's thread!  ;-)

Hope everyone's staying cool today, not much humidity here.  I was hoping to get out well before noon, but it was 12:30 before I set foot out the door.  6.5 today.  Wanted to push it a little bit in terms of distance, and it was good. Not going to do it every day...yet.  Maybe in a few weeks. :-)

evanflein

Ha, Jeremy! We had the same idea at the same time. Just couldn't bear to see all the Monday posts on last week's thread! We can use this one. I hope 6.5 miles today wasn't too far...

Here's what I had on the other new week's thread:

Come on, you guys! It's a new week!

I ran a little race yesterday. This thing just kills me, but I love it. Quads are strangely sore today. I posted a race report over at Kick Runners: Gold Discovery Run RR

Not sure what's planned for today... lots of cleaning and straightening to do tonight though. DH invited his supervisor to stay with us when he comes up this week... Eeek! The house is a mess. Oh well. Not my boss.

Congratulations on the terrific weight loss, Murphy! I agree with Bugs, winning the cash would be nice, but the best part is the results for you.

Welcome back, Jeremy! Want to tell us more about this galavanting around Europe stuff??

Good luck on the recovery, Kimmie. And that diet. I'm with Lou... any diet with no caffeine or alcohol wouldn't get very far with me.

Perry! Try the electrolyte caps! They really can make a difference. Sounds like you've got things out of balance and more than just hydration. Potatoes, bananas and pretzels would also be good additions to your long run days.

Cash, any update on the heart murmur?

P2R, a lot of people do their runs by time vs. distance. Maybe when the conditions are as they have been lately that's not a bad idea. No sense beating yourself up to get a certain distance when you've been out there for so long already.

Have a good week, everyone!

Hail to The Victors!

Welcome back, Jeremy! Want to tell us more about this galavanting around Europe stuff??

Good luck on the recovery, Kimmie. And that diet. I'm with Lou... any diet with no caffeine or alcohol wouldn't get very far with me.

We did a 13 day cruise of the Baltic Sea with 1 day on either side of London.  Copenhagen, Stockholm, St Petersburg, Helsinki, and Gothenburg.  It was a very nice trip, St Petersburg is amazing!  My wife also managed to get a sunburn in Russia, go figure (she did the same thing when she was in Fairbanks two years ago).  I don't know how she does it. 

Good luck on the comeback Kimmie. I gained 6 pounds during my 9 weeks off, so I understand where you are coming from!  It's so hard for me not to eat like I am running a marathon even when I'm not.  Not good at all.

evanflein

Sunburns in Fairbanks are all too easy to come by. Not so much in Anchorage, though. Sounds like a wonderful trip!
          theyapper

On the road again...

Great to see you back, Jeremy.  Sounds like you're doing well.

30 easy minutes this morning.  Hope it's a fantastic Tuesday for everyone!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Cashmason

First back to back runs in months.   Only 2 miles with  Mutt Mutt today.  Was going  to try 4  but by mile 1.5 she was wanting to walk.   I got her to trot ( slowly) home.

She is fast asleep at my feet now.   She can walk 12 miles with Suzie on the week ends, but anything over a mile at an easy run and she is toast,  right now anyway.

Erika,  the heart murmur was diagnosed  when I was a kid.    Never had any ill effects from it.

Started running again a couple of weeks ago and down 8 pounds since then, so am pleased.  Another 14 or so to go.

evanflein

Yay on the back-to-back runs, Cash! Good thing the dog keeps you under  control there...

5 miles today on sore legs. I think I'll need another easy day tomorrow, too.

Hail to The Victors!

Didn't get to run today until welllll after lunch, so it was quite warm, and still not quite acclimated to the heat, 84 at run time.  It served for a pretty rough easy run for me.  Have a long way to go.
                    Nice and cool here in SoCal -- we came down to La Jolla after Sunnyvale, to visit with the grandson (and his parents, of course).

The parents work at Salk Institute, and we got an architectural tour today -- pretty interesting stuff, all about positive space, negative space, making it a comfortable place to do science.  I don't know -- dawndaughter1's lab looked pretty cramped to me Smile

Ran 9.5 this morning -- started following a runner who looked like she as headed south down the coast.  She went right down a hill so I figured she knew where she was going and I followed her.  But at the bottom she turned around and headed up.  I asked here which direction to go and she said she was trying to do hills to get ready for a small marathon near DC.  I asked, "Freedom's Run".  Yup!  It was funny that she will be running it with her boyfriend and I'll be running with Harriet.  Also she grew up about 4 miles where we live now, and she's a scientist at UCSD (like the kids we're visiting).  Totally random, huh?

She pushed my pace, and I ended up running 8:06/mi.  Felt good after a lot of slower runs in the heat.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Weather sounds nice, Lou.  Sounds like you're having a great time.

Had a good one hour run this morning - a bit faster than I wanted, but that's okay.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Happy Camper

8 & change this morning with weights tonight.  The run streak will end tomorrow.  116 days straight.  The Bone Study has to do blood work so no exercise the day before on Thursday and I'll miss the morning run time going down to the University on Friday.  It's really amusing to me how much they worry that you will exercise anyway.  Must be one of the few work groups in the nation that has to guard against their subjects exercising.  Anyway the streak was good for training.  Think I gained a bit since the first week of April when I started it.  I'll only have time for 8 again on Saturday getting up early so I think I'll plan on a 3-hour run Sunday.  Next three weeks will be shorter runs and I will start working the pace average closer to 9 minute miles.  I guess I don't know how that will help since Pikes Peak will be more like an Ultra than a marathon.  18-20 minute miles on the way up.  10 - 12 minute miles on the way down.  May have to rethink the 9 minute mile pacing work.  I want to run strong out there but time won't mean much.  I think I can hit 4 hours for the half.  If I do that a 6.5 hour time is possible.  I predicted 7 -hours on my entry app but there would be no shame with an 8-hour time either.  Looking forward to it.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

That's one tough marathon, pace.  Yes, definitely more like an ultra.

5 easier miles for me this morning, about 9:08 pace.  Took the nouth route up the coast this time.  A bit hillier, but nice views!  I got some pictures, but June gloom has lasted through July so they'll need a little enhancement.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Cashmason

Be interestsing to hear where you ran Lou.

I went to La Jolla High, so know the area pretty well,  but wasnt a runner back then, so dont know the running areas.

Sounds like you are staying near UCSD ?   I was in the shores and up by the Cross.  And know the area near the Cove.

Had a g/f who lived near UCSD, but only knew how to get to her home and back.

Dave

Quick checkin for me tonight. 1 run for me so far this week. I've been in Israel and have been working late without much downtime. Got 5 in early on Monday along the Mediterranean coast near the hotel in Tel Aviv. Nice path but crazy humid. Flying back tonight. Flight leaves after midnight here and puts me back by lunch tomorrow. Ouch. Good running everyone,

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

Quick checkin for me tonight. 1 run for me so far this week. I've been in Israel and have been working late without much downtime. Got 5 in early on Monday along the Mediterranean coast near the hotel in Tel Aviv. Nice path but crazy humid. Flying back tonight. Flight leaves after midnight here and puts me back by lunch tomorrow. Ouch. Good running everyone,

Wow, is that where you went?  I saw the FB posts, and didn't realize you were going so far away.  Have a safe flight home!

That's some luck, Lou, especially on the other side of the country like that!  

5.1 today, did one of the hillier workouts in the repertoire today because I'm really sucking wind going up hills, and really, there's always time for hills.  What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right? 

Tomorrow is supposed to be MUCH cooler than today, can't wait!