Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/2/2010 (Read 173 times)

Happy Camper

Nice work Erika!  That is flying on rocks and trails. 

Raced the Great Sandbagger 10k yesterday.  It is the prediction race with the staggered start with sandbagging thrown in.  I predicted 54 minutes and ran 49 & change.  Won't know for sure until times are posted because watches are not allowed.  It's an out and back course which runs from south Columbia to the south which gets you closer to the Missouri  River bottoms.  Nothing but rolling hills  with a grinder coming up from the turnaround.  I was able to move up into  a 5th place overall finish.  Overall time rankings would likely show me in 12 - 15th.  DD based her time expectations on her training runs.  She thought she would run a 58 minute time so she predicted a 62 minute finish.  Guess what?

She ran a 51.  This "trophy" has been traveling around since the 1970's.  Now she will  get to store it and bring it back next year.  It will be going from Colorado to California as she moves and then back to Columbia for next years August run.  She will get to add her  name and a token to it.  She says it will sport something AirForce related next year.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Either I don't understand the prediction run or there's a typo, p2r.  Did she predict 62 and run 61?  (you said she ran 51).  Maybe I just don't get it.  Anyway, well done to your DD -- cool trophy!

I ran 18, first time over 16 or so for quite a while.  Really happy to have finished this one ok, feeling fine at the end.  Ok, I was ready to be done, but you get the idea.  I took extra ecaps to counteract the BP meds I have been on since November.  I am starting think the heat and the meds combine to hurt my endurance.  As the new meds are a diuretic, maybe I'm short of salts by the end of the long runs.

18.3, 2:48, 9:14/mi

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

She thought she would do 58 minutes, so to sandbag she predicted 62 minutes.  Without a watch to slow her down she actually ran it in 51 minutes. The first runners out on the course predicted 68 minutes so she had to make up a 6-minute handicap to overtake them. 

Nice longrun Lou.  I'm glad to be done with them for  a couple more weeks.  Made it out for 11 late this morning and it was around 83* when I finished. Think I will aim for 55 - 60 miles this week. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Woohoo, nice trophy finish for her.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Darn, just scrolled back looking for P&A reports from the ultra, but don't see any yet. They both finished 50, is what I've heard, but am looking forward seeing race reports.

I'm planning to do an ultra this autumn if things go well -- which means I maybe should train for it. Which maybe probably should be different than this track season stuff, which I have enjoyed.

Mmmm, blueberries...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.