Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/25/2011 (Read 305 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Here are the totals from last week.  Of special note is how fast Kim was: 15 miles in just 40 minutes. Wink

pace2race  77.1 mi 12:06:02
    Amores Perros 73.4 mi 10:26:25
    evanflein  56.5 mi 7:51:27
    WillRunForBeer 51.7 mi 7:45:06
    Dutchie42 39.7 mi 7:54:12
    jhallum 37 mi 5:11:59
    rockenmamof5 36.1 mi 5:08:59
    AussieGirl76 31.5 mi 4:51:41
    theyapper66 31.4 mi 4:59:30
    Kimmie  15 mi 40:00
    irpete 10.7 mi 1:43:01
    lilcat19 3 mi 32:00
    dgb2n  2.6 mi 25:00

Let's make this a great week.  Supposed to have a bit of a cool front here in the last half which will bring temps down to the normal 70s. I hope to see my mileage get north of 35 this week.  I'm having a hard time getting back to the high 30s/low40s that I was running before DC.

Remind me again who is racing next?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dutchie42

Some nice mileage here.

Highest mileage of the year for me Big grin Didn't even manage that when I was training for the marathon Roll eyes

I'm not racing for a long time. I'm just doing what I like. Kinda nice not being on any schedule.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Yesterday I was impressed with my 30+ miles in the week after a marathon, but look at those other distances - wow!

I spent yesterday mapping out speed increases every three weeks and on paper I'll finish 5 minutes faster by my next marathon in October, and another 5 mins faster by the Olathe marathon next year.  That's a long time with gradual speed increases, and I know I won't be able to stick to it rigidly, but at least I'm still making an effort to improve.  The runnersworld training pace calculator shows a 7:30 tempo pace for a 3:30 marathon, which I thought was slow - I can already do a 7:30 (at least I could before I tapered).  I'll aim for 7:15, but at a much slower rate than I'm needing my intervals to improve.  I need to drop a minute off those suckers. 

I have that corporate challenge not this weekend, but next and now I'm dreading it, I hate 5k's.  It's ironic that last year I qualfied 3rd for my age-group, therefore was a reserve, and all year I worked my butt off to knock Ms-2nd-place out, and I did, but now Ms-First who won the race overall the year before isn't running, and now as it turns out my time is faster than all of the women competitors (from my company) in all age-groups. 

theyapper

On the road again...

AG - it was nice to see I ran the same mileage as you.  Of course, I'm not recovering from a marathon.....

Got 5 sweaty miles in this morning.  1 with my daughter and then 4 by myself.

Paul

Dave

Although I am not proud of last week's 2.5 miles, it was more than double the previous week and I've already nearly doubled it for this weekBig grin.

Fell off the running wagon so to speak after a family vacation and am trying (once again) to get back in the groove.  Well see.

Nice to see Jeremy posting some respectable mileage again. 

I need a race to get focused.  Now to pick one and move out.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Well last week was "supposed" to be a 60+ mile week for me, and I was on track but shorted my 20 miler yesterday into a 15.4 miler. And that was hard enough. Oh well. I sure wish I'd kick whatever this crud is. Going on week 6 now. I think it's better, but then I have a relapse. Was thinking yesterday I might rearrange schedule and try the 20 miler again this coming Sunday, and though nope. Don't try to make up missed miles! That's one of the first things I was supposed to have learned in the first round of marathon training. And I really need a cutback/easy week to try to get better. So... that's what I'll do. I might hit 40 miles for the week, but maybe not.

Still chuckling over Gen saying Pam has teeny legs. Heh. You oughta see 'em in action. Power house material.

Hey Dave, don't short yourself. Log says 2.6 miles. It's all good!

Bugs, you crack me up. I love how you're diving into this tri stuff. What did you sign up for, 3 of them? Heh. Have fun, don't freeze!

I hate 5k's too. Just too damned frantic. But... got another one in a couple of weeks. First race of our local series, and thankfully the only 5k in the series. It's part of a scheduled 10 mile day, and before the next scheduled 20 miler... we'll see how that works out.

Gorgeous weather here, the snow is going fast! Yesterday it got up to 60° and should have more of that this week. Love it.

Yesterday I was impressed with my 30+ miles in the week after a marathon, but look at those other distances - wow!

Just so it's clear, my 51.7 miles included the marathon, since it was run on Monday.

3 easy miles for me this morning -- I actually took off my shoes for the last 1/2 mile.  I guess that's what happens when you're reading Born to Run. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Nice miles everyone.  Erika I hope you get feeling better.  I decided mid-run Sunday to go for 20.  Finished it but faded badly towards the end.  Guess I need some mid-longs and push the end pace.  I don't have much left after 17-miles it appears.  Ran 10 easy paced this morning and am now off for at least two days, maybe three. I'm in the final week of the Bone Study.  Tonight I received my last dexa scan.  Weighed in at 178lbs and then had my final max lift session.  I hit a 1-rep max of 415# on the squat, 1-rep max of 135 on the military press, 1-rep max of 355 on the dead lift and 5-rep max of 152 on the bent over row.  I did a 10-rep max of 165#'s on the forward lunge and 10-rep max of 275#'s on calf raises.  Wednesday I do a controlled workout with blood draws before and after and Thursday is the final blood work.  Tonight is sort of "Fat Monday" as I have to food journal and exercise journal for a week.  It's been a fast year.  Hopefully the scan's show improved bone mass.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Just a run by post.   Very stressful week so far. My youngest son will be getting a Holter moniter put on tomorrow for 24-48 hours and Wed my daughter Kathryn goes to the Rheumatologist  to get officially diagnosed with a form of Arthritis. Can't win! Anyway any thoughts and prayers would be appreciated!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Sorry for your stressful week, Pam.  It's hard to see your kids being sick like that.  You're in our thoughts.

Good luck on your scan, Bryan.

Hi, Dutchie!

6 easy miles for me this morning.  I don't know how I will run fast for Saturday's 5K.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hail to The Victors!

Although I am not proud of last week's 2.5 miles, it was more than double the previous week and I've already nearly doubled it for this weekBig grin.

Fell off the running wagon so to speak after a family vacation and am trying (once again) to get back in the groove.  Well see.

Nice to see Jeremy posting some respectable mileage again. 

I need a race to get focused.  Now to pick one and move out.

Any Dexter Ann Arbor races  Great event, really well run, and then there's the Taste of Ann Arbor afterward. 

Thanks Dave, it's nice to be back.  Hoping for 40 this week. 

Had a session with the Muscle Activation Therapist last night. OW.  On the other hand, I can feel myself flexing muscles that I couldn't before. 

Easy 4 today to relax. 

Pam, I hope you get some better luck soon! 

Just a run by post.   Very stressful week so far. My youngest son will be getting a Holter moniter put on tomorrow for 24-48 hours and Wed my daughter Kathryn goes to the Rheumatologist  to get officially diagnosed with a form of Arthritis. Can't win! Anyway any thoughts and prayers would be appreciated!

Will definitely be praying, good luck! 

Dave

Wow, Pam.  Sorry to hear that.  Hope the news is good.

4 and a little today at work for me.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry, Pam.  I'm praying for your family, too.

I wilted in the heat today.  Went out to do a 4 mile tempo and stopped after 2.  3 mile total with the warm-up.  Not sure if the heat zapped me, or if I'm not a streak kind of guy, as this was my 10th day in a row and I've never gone that long without a break.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's gotten a bit humid hereabouts too.

My DW did another one of her hard workouts that I'm not brave enough to do myself, so I just do it with her (ie, at her paces, not mine): 400 @ 5K-15s/mi, 800 @ 5K-5s/mi, 1200 @ 5K, 800 @ 5K-5s/mi, 400 @ 5K-15s/mi.   She tried to do it continuously (ie, no break, no recovery), but wound up taking a 400 recovery jog after the 1200. I enjoyed it, but got a bit tired in the two legs after the 1200.

Waiting to see if Dave can keep up exponential increases Smile

And hope Pam's son is doing well.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.