Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/17/2011 (Read 219 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

New week.  As we left last week, Cash had developed PF and won't be running much, Murph was headed toward 40+ weeks, and Dave was lamenting his lack of fitness/speed.  Of course, Dave could still beat me running on one leg, so whatever. Wink  Lou was still faster than all of us.

Hope everyone has a great week.  Looks like I'll have normal temps here this week, but it might be wet.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Of course, Dave could still beat me running on one leg, so whatever. Wink  

With the way you've been training, I'm not sure this is true anymore.  Seriously.  Faster paces breed faster paces.  You're a new runner.  

And Lou has been putting in some amazing work.  

I am not so much lamenting my lack of fitness as trying to urge myself to run more.  There is a certain beauty to running when it just feels effortless and you're gliding along at your marathon pace, clicking off the miles.  I suppose I'm just upset that my running hasn't been very beautiful lately.  Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

I am not so much lamenting my lack of fitness as trying to urge myself to run more.  There is a certain beauty to running when it just feels effortless and you're gliding along at your marathon pace, clicking off the miles.  I suppose I'm just upset that my running hasn't been very beautiful lately.  Big grin

You've had a lot going on, and a tough schedule to deal with.  It'll all come back.  I'm still waiting for this: "There is a certain beauty to running when it just feels effortless and you're gliding along at your marathon pace, clicking off the miles."

Paul

Hail to The Victors!

Get well soon, Cash, hopefully the PF turns out to be a fleeting thing. 

Dave, I'm totally in the same boat.  I suspect the 15 pounds I put on the last 8 months haven't hurt either (yikes!)

theyapper

On the road again...

6 very slow recovery miles today.

Paul

3 treadmill miles in at lunch. Legs feel suprisingly good. Would like to get at least 4 miles in tonight..Maybe more.

PF sucks. I got PF after my last marathon--2009. The day after that I flew to Vegas for a tradeshow,--more ealking and time on my feet.  For a long time it really hurt to walk first think in the morning--and especially hurt on stairs. With me--I was able to run ok. I think every case is unique.

Kimmie

Sorry about that Cash.   Are you able to still cycle?

I like how focused this group has become.  It may even inspire me to shoot for a half marathon PR at National.     I think that's a 1:50- have to look, so I may be running near you, Paul.

Youngest is sick today- it's a holiday, though, so she's not missing school, but she'll be out tomorrow, too.  Thankfully, I still got a 5 mile hill workout in-  haven't done that in awhile-   always wonder if the neighbors think I'm nuts as I run up and down this 1/4 mile hill right by my house.

theyapper

On the road again...

It may even inspire me to shoot for a half marathon PR at National.     I think that's a 1:50- have to look, so I may be running near you, Paul.

Those two things may end up having very little to do with each other Wink but if it works out, I'd love to try and keep up with you.

Paul

Thanks, guys.

Harriet and I are running National half again as well.

3 easy this morning with Harriet, on the ocean side for about a mile, then back on the bike path.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

All this talk of National.  Hmmm....

I can tell you all for a fact that I wouldn't be wearing running gear right now getting ready to face some cold temps if it wasn't for you guys.  

Murphy's double shamed me into it.  Hope you don't over do it and get injured though Murph.  Probably good to get some consistent high 20's on your legs before jumping into 40's.

MTA:  4.8 or so outside and relatively easy.  Hard to tell because it was dark and I couldn't see the Garmin.  I'm sure I was running too hard but it felt nice.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

glad to help out any way I can, Dave.

Kept it to 3 miles tonight on the indoor track. My legs and everything were fine..but I had some bad potato chips..apparently they forgot the seasoning and trippled the oil content. Ive been tasting them ever since and feeling nautious.

I think I'll be ok with the mileage Dave. I am running real easy. The only other time that I got really hurt was when I tweaked my back--which happens occassionally without running. I went from 0 miles to some pretty long runs real quickly. Im working into the long runs slower this time. Havent run more than 5.5 miles yet. Will get my first run longer than that in this weekend.

Good for you to get out there, Dave!

9.1 miles @ 8:14/mi this morning.  I had intervals on the plan, but didn't want to run them so I didn't .  Just lazy, I guess Smile

We ran next to the Marine Corps Air Station at Miramar of Top Gun fame.  No fighters were seen, though.  I wonder if they wait to take off later in the day so they don't wake too many people up?  Else the wind was blowing in such a way that they wouldn't take off over where we were running.

But it definitely wasn't nearly as scenic as the last couple of days at the beach.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

I chuckled when I read Lou's post.  8:14 avg for 9 miles was lazy!

I, on the other hand, ran 6 miles with 4 tempo miles in the middle.  Tempo miles avg 8:10 and definitely did not feel lazy.  I picked a hilly stretch of road in order to get an idea what my 8k at the end of the month might be like.  I hate hills. Angry

Paul

evanflein

Suck it up, Paul. Hills are your friends! Really, if you work consistently on hilly routes, you'll be amazed how much stronger and faster you'll be on the flat. Nice run for you with the double PR, btw.

Sorry about that Cash. I've never had PF but I hear it's a real bear to deal with. Hope you can keep up the cycling and get over it soon.

How's it going Jeremy? Can't imagine you gaining weight...

So Lou is returning to winter after the respite in San Diego. Sorry 'bout that. And yeah, I've got the same Roll eyes comment about the "9 miles @ 8:14" and "lazy" in the same sentence.

Hey Kimmie and Dave! Sounds like everyone is getting back at it (except for aforementioned Cash) and looking at the half marathon at National. When is that? Not that I could make it, but...

I've been away from here for a bit. Just seems like the days are so short and busy and getting worse. I ran 53.7 miles last week, with 11.2 on Saturday and 15 on Sunday. That's the longest long run since Tecumseh and highest mileage week in a long time. Yesterday I ran 5.1 on the treadmill, even though I had the day off. Just didn't want to deal with the cold (or should I say, dressing in layers for the cold) when I only had a 45 minute run planned. AND yesterday was my 14th day in a row of running. The streak ends today though. I've got a gym day scheduled today at lunchtime, then dinner out tonight with no time for a run. That's ok, I think I need the break anyway.

Need to start figuring out some sort of plan, but so far I'm just running as I want with the last three weeks being a build up (40, 47, 53), and this will be a step back. That's about as much structure as I have right now.