Marathon Trainers

4/28-5/4 (Read 210 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

12 miles yesterday! Longest run since getting sick. Slow with a few walk breaks, but I'm still pretty pleased. The go/no go decision on Bayshore is going to be right down to the wire. If I can do 14-16 next weekend and 18-20 the following I think I'll give it a shot. I'll leave my delusions at home and run simply with the intent of finding out how much running a marathon with not enough training hurts. I'll catch up on the other stuff in a bit...

Bugs

12 miles yesterday! Longest run since getting sick. Slow with a few walk breaks, but I'm still pretty pleased. The go/no go decision on Bayshore is going to be right down to the wire. If I can do 14-16 next weekend and 18-20 the following I think I'll give it a shot. I'll leave my delusions at home and run simply with the intent of finding out how much running a marathon with not enough training hurts. I'll catch up on the other stuff in a bit...
      For Grandma's last year I ran a 20 one week, and a 20 a week later, then had a 2 week taper. This worked out pretty good. Not as good at perfect training with a three week taper, but do-able. Think if you can get some good long runs in, even if slow, get healthy, and pick the right pace for that day, you will have a good marathon.

Bugs

Cashmason

Mr. I. getting to the start line healthy, with ok training is better than great training and hurting on race day.

Oh Mighty Wing

I second the thoughts above. super glad to hear you are starting to feel better!!

Bugs

Mr. I. getting to the start line healthy, with ok training is better than great training and hurting on race day.
            Inertia, I agree. Don't do two 20's just because I said it. You know your body better than I do. I'm just saying what worked for me.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Here are my plans for the next few weeks: Next week do two runs 4-5 miles, one run 8 miles and the Saturday run should be 16. The following week do two runs 6 miles, one run 8 miles and the Saturday run will be 18. I only get to taper the week before the marathon. Run one 8 miler, one 6 miler and one 4 miler, in that order. Run the 4 miler on Thursday and don’t run again until the marathon on Saturday. All runs will be at an easy pace. I may run faster than marathon pace on the shorter runs, but no speed work. Continue to use walking breaks on long runs. Again, I have no illusions about this race but I do feel that this will get me through.
              higa

Hey Mr Inertia, I feel your pain! Getting sick when every runs counts is no fun, especially the long ones. I think you have the right attitude though. Get to the sart line feeling good even if you're not quite where you wanted to be. Your training is made up of months of runs not just the last couple of weeks worth! I've got my biggest week coming up 2 x 19ks then 30k on sunday. If my laborious 5k run this morning is any indication its gonna be a loooonnnggg week! Happy training..............

Bugs

Sorry Inertia, I was thinking you had two more weeks in there. Just get better, I still wonder if I had not rested more if I could have avoid the whole E.R. trip. XTing for me today. I have my heart tests tomorrow. I'm hoping the drugs don't interfere with my 8 mile run planned.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

XTing for me today. I have my heart tests tomorrow. I'm hoping the drugs don't interfere with my 8 mile run planned.
                    this is one of those things runners say that make people (non-runner) think their crazy!! Big grin Mr I - I think you have a good reasonable plan. I hope it goes well! Higa - yeah for longest week!!! you can do it! My itch might have returned! Took me forever to fall asleep because i just couldn't lay still! My body/legs had this restlessness about them it was awful!

Bugs

this is one of those things runners say that make people (non-runner) think their crazy!! Big grin
                      LOL. Neither happened. I woke up at 4:00 a.m. with the stomach flu. First I thought I was hungover, because I had been to a book club social and had some wine. I know, shouldn't have been drinking it in the first place, lesson learned. I'm not running till I know I'm properly hydrated again. I am badly craving a McDonalds hamburger. I was in a Belarus where I got terrible food poisoning (the mushrooms there are picked from the wild, they are ammune to them, not me.) and the only thing I would eat after that was a McDee's hamburger. Now when I get sick, I still have to have it.

Bugs

Cashmason

Bugs, face it, feeling sick and craving burgers isn't the flu..... you are preggers again..... wink. Cross training today will be walking Disneyland with g/f and other California State School Board Financial Officers.

Oh Mighty Wing

hahaha, Cash, I thought the same thing! After talking to my friend (a runner) and she asked me how my eating's been. and we took a look at a sample day - 1500/1800 Cal's. She has concluded, as I suspected, that I am not eating enough to support my activity. So, my thought... start eating more!!! oh and PS check out my calendar - I pulled a bugs today! hehe OOOHHH and I did a small run - 1.25miles. Felt ok, right leg was tired. So i'll just keep it real light and slow!
                          evanflein

You guys are funny. I feel like such a slacker, even though I ran 50.1 miles last week and just took yesterday off. I do plan on getting a run in tonight, but not sure how long or where I'll go. At least it's not snowing or raining... probably first day for that in a while!! I guess I've got the post marathon blues, which I usually don't get but I usually have another marathon or something right around the corner. Now all I have is a stoopid 5k on Saturday. And my foot is still a little sore, not sure why. Metatarsal something but not Morton's Neuroma or PF. Given that... I might just ride my stationary bike at home, or do nothing. Bah. On Sunday I ran 10.4 miles, supposed to be an EZ run but ended up pretty quick. Especially most of mile 5 which was an all out sprint to the McDonald's to use the restroom! I hate it when that happens... at least I made it. This new McD's has a very nice restroom... I won't eat there but I will use the potty! Big grin Rest of the run was pretty nice after that. Anyone wanna come help me clean my house? It's a disaster. This latest round of marathon training left me no time or inclination to do anything but laundry and cooking. My house is tended by teenage boys and really shows it. Mr Inertia, best wishes to you as you deal with recovery and training as you decide whether to race. I don't envy you, it's a tough spot to be in. Just remember though, there will be other races. But injuries can drag on for ages.... Hi ladies! Bugs that was a very nice comment on my Boston RR. Thanks. Yes
                            Cashmason

Cross trained by walking 5 miles around Disneyland with g/f and her friends tonight. Erika, a cleaner house might be more comfortable for you mentally. But true friends won't care. You can spend time cleaning, or you can spend time building friendships and working towards personal goals. 10 years from now, what will have been more important? Cash
                              evanflein

You can spend time cleaning, or you can spend time building friendships and working towards personal goals. 10 years from now, what will have been more important?
                                Yeah, I'll try to remember that when the health department closes down my house! Seriously, it's pretty bad. I hardly spend all my time cleaning. I don't think the toilets have been cleaned for a couple weeks... Embarrassed but so far the boys can't agree on who's week it is to do bathrooms. Sounds like it's gonna be mom's week... 5.2 miles tonight, was totally low energy before I started, almost bailed. But once I got going I felt better and better. A little chilly, but a good run.