Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/17 and sitting at Pam's feet learning from the master (Read 408 times)

Kimmie

So sorry to hear this Dave.  

evanflein

Dave, so sorry about your friend. I got chills reading the article. How tragic. My DS's best friend enlisted in the marines and heads to boot camp this fall. I've already cried for him, and with his mom who is in the army, has been in Afghanistan and doesn't want her son to go. But she respects his decision and will support him. But it's so very hard.

This week has been crazy. Lots going on at work, too many deadlines and not enough time to get the stuff done. I'm still getting my miles in, but not sure what I'm doing. Kind of drifting because I've got nothing but short stuff coming up. I need a marathon staring me in the face to really get motivated, I guess. So now, I'm just burning the candle at both ends and trying to stay somewhat in marathon shape. You never know when an opportunity might present itself!

Run well this weekend, Paul and Pam! I hope Paul gets the PR he's hoping for and Pam makes it through her race in one piece.

Bugs, that's one of the biggest reason I'm not on FB. And your races always seem to end up being warm! I guess that's a better record than always showing up for a typhoon or something.

5.6 miles for me today at lunchtime. We've got forest fire smoke again... already!! Sure hope we don't end up with a smoky mess like last summer.

Aw, Dave.  So sorry...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Dave - so sorry to hear about the tragic loss.

Plan tomorrow is a couple miles warmup with a few strides, then the 5k, and then run 6-8 miles easy with a friend who is looking to increase the length of his long runs.  We'll see how that plan works out.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bugs

Dave,

Really really about the loss of your friend. That is tough to take.

I knew your wife would say I told you so, just what the hell is wrong with people.

Murphy,

Some people are stupid.

Weather ended up perfect for the half. A light rain at the beginning that made for some heavy shoes during parts, but very nice run. Fun to run with the crowds again, as this is my first BIG race in over a year. Miles 10-12 tough, but felt really great overall, much better than the half three weeks ago. HM PR of 1:48:20 or something close will be my chip time. My garmin said avg pace 8:13, and three weeks ago for the other half it said 8:24 so I'm very happy. Took an ice bath after.

Bugs

Kimmie

Congratulations on a great half, Bugs!

The results of my 5K from last weekend came in-  11th female overall (out of 100 and something)   No age group placings, for some reason, but I counted 5th in the 40-45 age group.   Being that I ran  it horribly, I still want to try to do better.  I wouldn't even care if my time was only marginally better, as long as I don't go out so fast next time.

Decided to rest my calf today- went to the gym to do the elliptical and could still feel it- so then I ran on the treadmill for 4.5 miles, which feels like I did nothing.   Lifted upper body- felt like a good workout, I just thought maybe I needed about 10 miles or so.   But, I'm trying to be smart.  I will go to the Dr. to see what he thinks about running through this.   

Tomorrow is the Girls on the Run 5K.  Last time, Darby ran it in 37:30- 11:40 pace, good for her-  So, this time, we'll see if she can beat her time.  I mostly want her to enjoy herself.  It's supposed to rain.  Smile

HM PR of 1:48:20 

Way to go, Bugs!!!

11th female overall (out of 100 and something)  

You, too, Kim!!!

4 easy for me this morning

CONGRATS on the PR Bugs.

And nice job, again, Kimmie. Thats an impressive finish for not running your best.

Just got back from my run. Sun was bright and it was way more humid and hot than I expected. Planned on doing 8. My right calf was tight going out--loosened up eventually. Went out 4 miles, and the combination of the uphills and heat made me take it as easy as I could. I finished up 7 at a slow pace. Walked a bit, ran another 1/2 mile and walked in. I really was beat. My legs feel ok which is good, just getting used to the heat and building the fitness. At my weekly planned mileage. Not sure how many Im doing tomorrow. Will be another 8 if dws uncle doesnt bail.If he bails, I'll probably do 4-6.

theyapper

On the road again...

My 5k went well.  I'm still trying to figure these things out!  First 2 miles were mostly downhill and the third was back up the hill we'd just run down, so when I got to that last mile, I walked a couple times up the hill before sprinting to the finish.  Broke 25 minutes for the first time, PR'ed by over 30 seconds and got 3rd in a 10-year age group (would've been first in the normal 5 year AG).  Only downer to the whole deal is that the race measured short on the garmin, but it is what it is, so I'm taking it.

My target 5k is next month and I ran this one as a test to see how long I could hold a fairly fast pace (for me, that's about 7:45) and to see how my HR reacts.  I actually had lower average HR and max HR in this race by a considerable amount, so seems that the consistency in my running is paying off.  Hopefully I can PR again at my 5k in June.

I saw on FB that Pam did great in her race.  Can't wait to read the details soon.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Way to go, Paul!

I hate it when a race measures short -- I had one of these and figured out that there was a small loop which wasn't marked well -- I missed it as did Harriet, when I checked our garmin tracks, and we had come through separately.

I struggled through 11 miles this morning -- only 67° but humid -- I'm not ready for these temps, I think.

MTA: just checked out Pam's FB status -- way to go, Pam!  50k and feeling good sounds great to me.  Did they stop the race?  What did you mean "technical difficulties"?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Way to go with the PRs guys!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave, Im really sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm sorry for the loss of everyone who serves our country.

Cant wait to hear a full report from Pam.

Ran 4 tonight. Went out after 9:00 tonight. Still in the 80's. Did 4 easy. Legs were great. My fitness has a ways to go. That becomes apparent on these hot days and nights.  Tomorrow is a planned rest day. I may run a couple easy or do the eliptical at the gym or something.

My condolences Dave! What a tragic loss!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Nice racing Bugs and Paul! CONGRATS on the PR"S!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Way to go, Paul!

I hate it when a race measures short -- I had one of these and figured out that there was a small loop which wasn't marked well -- I missed it as did Harriet, when I checked our garmin tracks, and we had come through separately.

I struggled through 11 miles this morning -- only 67° but humid -- I'm not ready for these temps, I think.

MTA: just checked out Pam's FB status -- way to go, Pam!  50k and feeling good sounds great to me.  Did they stop the race?  What did you mean "technical difficulties"?

No they didn't stop the race. What I meant is that due to how technical the trail was it was too risky. Way too many river rocks and tree roots on the trail. Since I don't run trails I don't think my legs and feet could handle running and dealing with those when tired that and after awhile you start to loose focus. You really need focus for that race (btw I had headphones in ears but music was never on)

I'll post more after I get kids off to school