Marathon Trainers

week of 9/14 (Read 290 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Good Morning! Smile

Bugs - i don't know. I don't know what my training looks like. I just get a week at a time.

Erika - you will definitely be ready. And I don't know that walk breaks are necessarily a bad thing especially if you aren't doing them all the time. A casual run with a friend is sometimes a nice change of pace.

Good morning, everyone!

I guess summer is officially over.  It was still dark when I finished my run at 6am.  Sad

Dead legs greeted me this morning, for my recovery run from yesterday's 20.

3.2 miles, 30:03, 9:32/mi, AHR 127 (65% MHR)

Some nice running out there last week.  I don't have Dave's talent for writing a summary, but thought I'd look at the weekly miles.  I'm pretty sure a couple of you just haven't had time to log these, though.

Name Distancedown Time
      dcv2002 69.1 Mi 9:06:23
      DanMoriarity 68 Mi 9:09:30
      rockenmamof5 66.8 Mi 10:21:16
      pace2race  65.9 Mi 11:28:24
      AmoresPerros 63.5 Mi 9:04:38
      WillRunForBeer 54.2 Mi 7:48:30
      Bugs 48.2 Mi 7:22:48
      JellyFish 47.9 Mi 7:17:40
      HuskerB 45 Mi 7:07:39
      theyapper66 44.1 Mi 8:02:49
      John A 40 Mi 7:04:07
      old-runner 36.4 Mi 5:01:00
      VixiDu 35.8 Mi 5:35:30
      evanflein  34.2 Mi 5:17:05
      Kimmie 33 Mi 5:05:01
      Mr Inertia  28 Mi 4:02:48
      lilcat19 20.4 Mi 2:54:51
      jhallum 7.5 Mi 1:03:15
      Dutchie42 7.5 Mi 1:22:10
      Joe Nation 7.1 Mi 1:26:10
      nalayou    
      OnlyWhnChasd    
      wnpopp2    
      Cashmason  0 Mi 0:00
      dgb2n  0 Mi 0:00
      Marathon Peach 0 Mi 0:00
      Murphy996  0 Mi 0:00

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good morning Shan and Lou! Looks like some good running this past week.

Here are my splits from yesterdays race. It wasn't certified so I'm going with my Garmin. 

Interval 1 Mi 8:45.54 8:45.54 8:46      
        Interval 1 Mi 8:51.17 17:36.71 8:52      
        Interval 1 Mi 8:45.81 26:22.52 8:46      
        Interval 1 Mi 8:51.43 35:13.95 8:52      
        Interval 1 Mi 8:50.55 44:04.50 8:51      
        Interval 1 Mi 8:59.81 53:04.31 9:00     Water Stop 
        Interval 1 Mi 9:13.93 1:02:18.24 9:14      Pee break (coincidence to having had a water break just before i think not lol)
        Interval 1 Mi 8:43.92 1:11:02.16 8:44      
        Interval 1 Mi 9:01.92 1:20:04.08 9:02      Water stop
        Interval 1 Mi 8:53.02 1:28:57.10 8:54      
        Interval 1 Mi 8:48.01 1:37:45.11 8:49      
        Interval 1 Mi 8:48.31 1:46:33.42 8:49      
        Interval 1 Mi 7:58.59 1:54:32.01 7:59      "challenge" mile
        Interval 0.24 Mi 1:45.06 1:56:17.07 7:18  

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh and last nights run was an idiot run. Was supposed to take it nice and easy. I feel a twinge in my knee this morning UGHHHHhHHH! OH well if somethings wrong it's my own fault. Will be going out for an easy run sometime today.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

nice job Pam!

i have 6 today. No plyo's because my IT is tight. I think it was the driving yesterday. I drove 2 hours to run then 2 hours home. didn't feel it until I was in the car on the way home... brought my stick to work today! haha

nice job Pam!

i have 6 today. No plyo's because my IT is tight. I think it was the driving yesterday. I drove 2 hours to run then 2 hours home. didn't feel it until I was in the car on the way home... brought my stick to work today! haha

Thanks Shan!

THAT is the reason I didn't drive the day of the race, well that and I didn't want to get up at the crack of dawn though it turned out that I was stil up at the crack of dawn *no I'm not still  grumpy about that lol*. I'd say that was the reason my knee feels off though I don't think so since everything was feeling AWESOME until I woke up. 

Nice race, Pam.

Wish I could have seen you, Shan -- that's one of our local half's and like 10 folks from work were there -- but I had that 20 to do, you see...

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping after a long run?  You'd think we would have been all tuckered out, but PDR and I both had trouble getting to sleep last night. 

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Lou,

I'm in the dark too. Gets dark around 7:30-8:00 here. Last night I ran the last hour on a trail in the dark with no headlamp. Worst was a small part of the trail was under construction where I had to step down and up. I slowed down a little but not much for it. Whew...got lucky.

I really suck at planning and am open to advice. I have a goal 10 mile race on the 27th and just now am figuring out a game plan. I've been most just running, I push it on the longer runs but have done no real speed work other than Ragnar and this 5K. I'm butt dead sore today from running both 5K and pushing that 15 mile run, but what should I do Wed & Thursday? What should I run for a long run this weekend? Saturday I'm running a 5K but will run it more as a workout then a race. I'm thinking I can run the 10 mile 8:10-8:20 pace but dam, I probably should run that pace a few times before the 10 mile race. Thoughts?

I'm also doing a trail HM on Oct 17th, and I've ran on a trail once. What key runs should I run on a trail instead of road? Long runs, speed runs? I have to cram it looks like. Sad

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Pam - i swear it was the traveling that was killing my times this summer. It really takes  a toll sitting in the same position for so long!

Lou - I did it as part of my long run - I did 18 and Trent did 21... just sayin for next time

Bugs - your rest day should be Thursday - always take off the day before the day before (so 2 days before the race).  Other than that I would probably hold steady with the weekly mileage this week. 20's to 40's is a pretty big jump. Looks like you did 4 weeks in the 20's and then made a jump to the 40's so maybe hold at that mileage again this week and maybe make the week of the 10miler a cut-back week - not really a taper... but cut-back...

Oh Mighty Wing

PS I get to race on saturday!!! a 5k - in my flats... i'm so excited!!! any one want to offer any tips?? (I figure I should start asking now so I can more productively obsess all week!!! )

Bugs

Lou,

I did not sleep well last night after LR. Even harder to sleep well when running later at night.

JellyFish,

I had two weeks in the 20's not four. I had four solid weeks in the 40s then Ragnar Relay. Had to rest-up after Ragnar, then the weekend after I came down with migrane and ran LR on Monday. Last week was kind of big, but the log kind of was misleading because Sunday's LR got moved to Monday which made me look like a rock star in the mileage summary. Smile  I'm kind of thinking a 12 mile long run on Sunday, and then try to run a couple of warm-up miles before 10 mile race and a couple of after the long run. I'd really like to run a LR of 17 miles sometime, but I don't see it's possible until after the 10 mile race, unless I run it this Sunday. You're probably wondering, why run 17 miles? Just because I think I need to run more to run faster.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

oh sorry I didn't look at the dates wrong - in which case ignore everything but the thursday thing LOL
                            27th of this month Bugs? If so I don't think there's much you can do other than keep running. Maybe do a nice 6-7 mile tempo this week and next as well. As for key runs for the Trail half, don't ask me. I've yet to train on any trails for my trail races lol.

Shan I don't think it was just the traveling! Doing most of your weekly running in one run each week  this early in a running career has a way of killing your speed in a race. Don't be surprised if you still end up racing  a few "slow" marathons. It takes time to build up the things you need to keep the kind of speed you want for a long distance.

As for my knee. Well as I was telling my friend Saturday night, the only reason I brought the Kayono's was to confirm if they were or weren't the shoe for me come marathon time. Well it's been confirmed they are ...........................................NOT the shoe for me! Too much stability I think. The delayed knee soreness I believe was due to the shortness of the race, and the terrain. I some OLD shoes (wore them for the last 15 or so of last years 50 miler and the first 25 miles of my 100 miler this year) and whatcha know the soreness dissappeared. I got in a really nice 8.2 mile run when I had intended on doing 6 at the most at a MUCH slower pace. I may actually go out and do another 3-4 miles this afternoon if I have the time.

Oh as far as tips DON'T GO OUT TOO FAST lol That's about all I can offer since it's less than a week away

Oh Mighty Wing

Oh as far as tips DON'T GO OUT TOO FAST lol That's about all I can offer since it's less than a week away

Pam i'm not looking for training advice. I have that. I'm looking for race day advice as I've never raced a 5k before. Oh and yes, I would say those shoes weren't for you! Glad you figured it out without too much discomfort!

Also, Moms and Dads, please understand I appriciate all your comments about my summer running and how many of you think I was hurting myself, doing to much, blah blah blah... can we agree to never speak of my summer again? It's not any of you, it's me, everytime something I construe as negative is said it makes me want to scream and not come back. So can we never mention my summer again? Thanks.