Marathon Trainers

Week of Aug. 4 thru 10 (Read 170 times)

wow bugs..nice mileage. WHens your marathon coming up? Another 4 this evening. Feeling good. First test tomorrow morning 12-16 miles with my training partner. He's doing 16, I may bail at 12 depending on how I feel. If I get through this in decent shape I'll feel better about my marathon next month.

Happy Camper

Wow, nice run Erika! You must be feeling great for your marathon after a 1/2 like that. Congrats! Bugs: Kick butt on the 20 today! 22-days to M. Ran 8 near M pace yesterday and felt okay. Couldn't hold M pace after 2-miles but kept it close. Solo runs are hard for me to push. I will do more pace work this week and then enter the race by friday or enter something else to use as a goal. Training has gotten stale. The cooler weather is helping though. Mornings in the 60's are much easier to run in. Looks like it will be hanging around for a few days. Time to get out there and run!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - how did those shoes work out for you? Erika - Wow! You are amazing! Bugs - Enjoy the 20 today! Awesome mileage this week! Murphy - hope the long feels good today! Pace - The cooler weather sure is nice! Yesterday was a great day at the beach! We left here at 7am and didn't return until 9pm. I drove home (2 hr) and when I got out the car my legs were very ticked off. So I decided not to run. I was in bed by 10 and didn't wake up till 9 today. But I woke up without the usual tightness in my legs!

Dave

Absolutely awesome, Erika. Talk about watching all your hard work pay off. Inspirational stuff. Glad to see you back at it, Murph. Good luck on your long run. Big jump in distance but you've been there before. P2R, We're getting some of that cooler weather too and it does help. When do you start to taper? I spent the day out with the kids yesterday (running store for me, then over to the National Zoo downtown). Skipped my run to give my legs a break. Turned out to be a good choice. 16.5 for me this morning in nice cool weather. For once, I really controlled my pace and ran a consistent 9:20 pace give or take the entire way. Low HR the whole way too (140 average for the run). Felt like I could've easily added a couple more. Shoes felt great even though I managed to get a small cut on my heel last night. One Hello Kitty bandaid did the trick. Taking a family trip starting next weekend so I'm really going to have to make a point of the long runs. May run it mid-week next week since we're travelling on both weekends. Sort of an odd cut back week but I'm hoping it works.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Erika, You are a big idle of mine, you and Deena Kastor. Can you handle that pressure? I started running when my mid-life crisis hit. So I really try not to dwell on that with age I'm only going to get slower. What I've struggled with is improving and staying there, something you have definitely done. I think I'm just not patient enough. I've only been running 3 years and I'm logging miles my body couldn't handle until now, so maybe there's hope for me yet. But it has really been fun watching you improve. Can't wait to see what you can do when your 50! P2R, You have a really nice number of miles logged. 253 miles for July! But maybe mixing up the distances a little would help. 10 miles runs must be your run of preference?  Murphy, Not till October 5. I’m a little ahead of myself. I hope I don’t screw this up. Dgb, Wish I had to slow myself down to run at nice 9:20 pace. BTW, your priorities are perfect. Glad you enjoyed the day at the zoo. Last night I ate salsa and chips, followed by whole wheat pasta with olive oil and parmesan cheese. This has become my meal before LR and it seems to work fairly well to make sure there are no GI problems, but yet legs are charged. I got to the trail later than planned and my garmin would not start. I angrily pondered what to do. I assume that it had licked on when I sat it in the cradle and was out of battery. Ugh. I could run later, but then my whole day would be consumed with running and it would probably be hot. So I ran without a watch, but long story short ran 22 miles instead of 20. Pace was right around 9:30. Got home and I thought to try and do a hard reboot on it, yup that was the ticket watch started right up. LOL

Bugs

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!!! Got 12 in. Felt great for 10. The hills on this course killed me in the final two miles, but still came in at 11:40 pace for the full 12. Ran the first 10 at about 10:50 pace..should have been a bit over 11 mm for the long slow run. Ran a bt faster than we wanted to early on. But, I was pleased. Will get some solid miles in this week. Stepping up to 14-16 next weekend and my lone 20 mile run the following weekend. Deena Kastor is my coworkers cousin. She was really excited about the Marathon movie and excited for the olympics.
              Cashmason

1 kilometer in the ocean today. The sky must be falling, I logged more swim time this week than bike time. And ran more than I have in a long time. See y'all on next week's thread.