Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/7. (Read 247 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wore the ski mask again today. Well, maybe that's not quite the right term -- it's like a hat with an optional neck warmer too -- which I can pull up to cover my mouth. Doesn't do full face coverage like a traditional ski mask I have to admit.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

No running for me this weekend. DD, DH and I have colds. Mine happens to be in my sinus's so I've had a really bad sinus head ache off and on. Got in a kick ass weight workout in today.  Tomorrow looks like a family snuggle/movie/finish decorating for Christmas kind of day.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend and getting some great running in!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Erika,

Where I work they celebrate everything. If you got a new computer it'll be a food day, okay not that bad but close. And if we don't bring treats on our birthdays we get harrassed till we do. Lately I've been doing a few more girls lunches. I just would rather exercise. I have a long list of really good girlfriends but they are all runners. I really don't have the time or the patience for non-runners. Smile

PDR,

Can't be sad about beating your predicted time. I beat mine too.

Dave,

I think you get to count flying miles in your mpw. You beat us all by several thousand.

Pam,

Sorry about the cold. Smart to take it easy. I'm still so worried about H1N1. I'm the only one in our house not vacinated (DH works at hospital) and probably the most likely to get it.

Ran a slight PR at the 4 mile race. 29:47. The course had a hell-a-va hard hill at the start. At the top the guy behind me asked if I was okay and I said, "Haaa, hahh (panting) Ya THIS IS FUN and took off running faster. really felt that wind on the way back, guess that is why the first two miles felt so good. 2nd in A.G, in a race with over 500 runners. Think I was 4th female. They only had metals for 1st in A.G.  However I picked up DocC3s metal (he had to leave) and I may not give it to him. But the moral of the story is I should have ran less on Monday night to run better, but would not have got first anyway because she was 27:50 or something, so didn't matter.

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

Ski mask?  Ummm, never.  But I did think about it this morning as I ran in 22 degree weather.  I eventually warmed up, though.

I got in 6.5 miles - was hoping for 7 but my knee started whining around mile 6 and on the last mile back to the house a car got too close and I stepped off the road.  Must've landed funny or something, because about a quarter of a mile past that I couldn't run anymore.  Walked home frustrated because my body seems to be slower than my heart at recovery.  Hoping the knee is nothing more than tired tendons or something that rest can cure.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Sounds like a tweaky thing Paul, I bet it won't last long. Good job getting out there for a good run though!

Nice race, Bugs! Congrats on the "slight" PR! 

Pam, you run a helluva lot of miles over the course of a year. A break will do you good. Good job on taking it easy when things aren't just right. Whether a plain ol' cold or more involved with a sinus infection or whatever, you need to rest to get better. Now about that weight workout... hmmm.

Well, I got one in today. 40 minutes is a good long weight workout for me because I usually try to fit them in on lunch hours so get just 20 minutes or so. Today, I was on the elliptical for 50 minutes (6.07 miles), walked .4 to cool down, then 40 minutes in the weight room focusing on anything that didn't hurt my left shoulder. I don't know what I did to it, but chest flye/press are out as are pushups. Rats. Might run tomorrow, just a bit (foot feels good though).

CONGRATS on your new 4 mile PR Bugs!! Sorry they didn't have an award for you that bites.

Hope it isn't anything Paul! Hope you iced it just in case.

Ughhhhhhh@ your shoulder Erika! I don't know about you but I swear my warranty ran out when I hit 40 and now I'm starting to feel all kinds of ache's and pains. Hope your shoulder is feeling better ASAP!!

Head is still achy and got tons of drainage going on. This is not a good time for me to get sick. One thing that happens when my mileage goes down is I start feeling like CRAP! I  can literally feel all the toxins building up in my body. One of the big reason I worked out yesterday despite my head feeling like it was going to explode and the MAIN reason I never actually take much time off of running. It really sucks cause I really think that a couple week running hiatus would do my feet/legs good.

BTW LOVE my balaclava!!  It get so cold here with LOTS of heavy wind that I  need to use one for a good part of the winter here.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Bugs

Paul,

I agree with Erika. Although I bet it just needs a little rest, maybe even a day of light XTIng. Seems like everything on me hurt my first three years of running and now my body is too tired to complain anymore. Smile

Got my long run in, may have lost an ear. That fleece jacket they gave us at the race is too loose/cold for 9F running weather. Just ran 10 miles (9:18 avg pace) because legs were tired, and slipping on the snow packed streets was so much harder on the legs than normal pavement.

Bugs

CONGRATS Perry on finishing your first 50k! Sounds a lot like the last  technical trail race I did (the falling the going the wrong direction lol)  I LOVE trail racing! I'd love to do some of the winter ones they have here HOWEVER don't think that would go well for my training for Boston lol

Bugs - congrats on the more miles than degrees -- early, too!  (Also nice PR)

Pam - hope you feel better soon -- it stinks being sick.

Paul - hope your twingies go away, too.

Wait, Perry ran a 50K trail race?!?  Way to go!

A little miserable today -- 33°F with light steady rain, some frozen patches.  But at least the frozen parts weren't really slick -- only a little crunchy.  They seemed to always be on the hills, though.  Maybe that's because we don't have any flat surfaces around here  

15.2 miles, 2:10:42, 8:36/mi, AHR 152 (74% MHR)

5@9:08(144), 5@8:34(149), 5.20@8:07(161)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Very nice fast finish long run, Lou! I'm jealous! 

What's this about Perry running a 50k??

Don't know what I'm going to do today. More puttering around the house, which is one of my favorite things to do, and maybe a run or a pool run later. Foot is feeling good and I'd really like to go run a bit, but don't want a setback at this point! Shoulder still hurts. Damn it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks, Pam Smile

A friend of mine -- actually the one with whom I worked a trail race this summer -- recently told me "Hey I think I have that bugless 50K for you" -- because I hate bugs and especially ticks (and especially deer ticks). She was going to go up with her sister-in-law to this Viriginia Fat-Ass 50K yesterday, and her sister-in-law was going to run it. So I got all excited. Except I forgot to actually register, and the race closed. Dumb -- esp cause it was free, all I had to do was register. I emailed the RD, asking him if there were trails I could run on without getting in the way of the race, if I came up with them after all -- and he emailed me back and said just come run the race. Awww, so nice Smile

So I did, and ran half of it with my friends sister-in-law, and a lot of the return with another nice ultra runner, and got to chat with various other people at different times, and it was very fun, very laid back, and a great time.

That may have been the most pizza boxes I've ever seen. They had at least 20 inside, and when my friend's husband George and I went walking back out to check on the others, we saw a delivery guy arriving with at least 8 more pizzas.

It was *really* low key. My friends Claire and George were really the only people cheering runners coming toward the end -- the end was just run up to the start building and stop your watch, and go inside, and drink and eat, and write your distance down on the results page (and if you did the full 50K, write you time down too).

I completed my weekend training with a 15K PR attempt this morning, at which I succeeded -- cold and rainy, pretty "ugh" weather. (Um, yeah, that's "warm" in Minnesota and Alaska terms.)

This is a specialized training plan (50K trail on Sat, 15K paved race on Sun), only suitable for high mileage runners of a certain type. How can you tell if you qualify? It's easy. Take your average mileage per week recently. Is it higher than your IQ? If so, you're in. Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

This is a specialized training plan (50K trail on Sat, 15K paved race on Sun), only suitable for high mileage runners of a certain type. How can you tell if you qualify? It's easy. Take your average mileage per week recently. Is it higher than your IQ? If so, you're in. Smile

I think I'm in Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

I think I'm in Smile

I certainly qualified with the low IQ but I've got to get my mileage back into the 40's  .

No run for me today.  Did get in about 20 minutes of weight workout.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hail to The Victors!

I certainly qualified with the low IQ but I've got to get my mileage back into the 40's  .

No run for me today.  Did get in about 20 minutes of weight workout.

Work hitting you as hard as you thought it would, or harder?  Lord knows that Glass City is coming up pretty quick. (relatively).  I've talked with the boss, and I might volunteer for Glass City, if the stars work out right (it's the week after Boston, after all.  It'd be a shame if I didn't know anyone to root for on the course. :-)

Get well Pam!

Perry?  50K?  Nice work!  After spending about 10 years telling myself I'd never do one, I'm starting to contemplate one.  Probably not for a few more years, though.

16 yesterday, 4+ today.  Just having a hard time getting back to 6 days a week.  I have to get back to making running a habit again...

evanflein

Jeremy, I don't think you'd have any problem with the 50k distance. You'd just need to work on slowing your MP down a bit to go the full distance without crashing. It's only another 5 miles, ya know.

I have a good run to report! Yay! 5 miles at -12F, very frosty but I didn't overheat and I didn't hurt my foot! It didn't hurt at all the whole way, even though I kept waiting for it. That's so cool. I did have to stop a couple times on the way back up the hill... this is the hill I was running easily at 8:30's this fall. Oy. Tried to just focus on form and easy pace, and it all turned out well. This is very good news for me, and now I just have to be sure not to go do something stoopid like try to run every day this week. I think pool running on tap for tomorrow...