Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/3 (Read 246 times)

August already -- where does the time go.

PDR is nesting -- she's done with her quilt and is now making fabric/foam blocks for junior, with pictures of his relatives.  This is so he can remember us even after he and his parents move to San Diego .  (We'll be running the San Diego RNR marathon in June for sure)

We'll be headed up to Boston for the birth in the next couple of weeks -- she's due a week from tomorrow.  Pretty exciting.

3.1 miles, 28:58, 9:13/mi, AHR 134 (69% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO! What an exciting time for you and PDR!!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!! I'm tired and am glad it's "taper" week for a race I forgot about. I'm also nuts!  I'll  have to catch up on the weekend after dropping kids off and having some coffee.  

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Good morning all-

I was super thrilled to get a run in with some women I haven't run with in awhile.  gorgeous sunrise and nice easy pace, which was great.

Just 4.5 miles... now I'm off to paint the girls bedrooms.  If you see me on here, please tell me to go back to work.  Smile

Oh Mighty Wing

Hi All!! I will catch up on the weekly thread in a little while. But I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

I was out in Montana. I ran Grizzly Marathon and toured Glacier National Park. I got home at 1am this morning. It was an amazing weekend!! Oh and the Marathon was brutal!!

theyapper

On the road again...

JF - any marathon with the word Grizzly in it has to be brutal.

Got a recovery 3 miles in this morning.  Hot even at 9:30 and my legs were still tired from Saturday's 12 miler, but this run felt sooooo good!

Have fun painting, Kim (of course, you shouldn't read that until you're done  ).

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Hey all! Hope everyone has a good week. Pam, this is a cutback/ mini-taper week for me as well but I remembered my race! I have a half marathon on Saturday, or I should say there's one scheduled for Saturday. Hope the smoke clears up before then or they'll have to cancel that one, too! We can't re-schedule too many of these longer races because we'll run out of summer/fall before the Equinox on Sept. 19.

Since she doesn't tell us much about her marathons, I'll have to go out to the Maniacs site to see how Jelly did. I'm still amazed at her travel budget. I want to sign up for the Royal Victoria Marathon on Oct. 11, but really having to work to figure out how to pay for the entry, travel and car... Oy. It would be my absolute last race of the 45-49 AG though, because I'll turn 50 the very next day!!

I feel really good after yesterday's run. Sometimes after a 20 miler I feel a little tired or beat up. Nope. Last night I felt almost like I could go for a run again! But instead I watered all my flowers, weeded part of the garden, transplanted (finally) 4 herb plants, washed my car and did 2 loads of laundry. Woohoo! I love productive evenings! This morning I feel good for another run, but with the very smoky air out there I just don't know what I'll do today... Maybe there's really something to the treadmill being gentle on your joints. The 20.2 miles might've been mentally taxing, but relatively easy on the ol' body.

You know Erika  I think there's a reason I forgot. When I signed up it was well before I decided to try and BQ this year.  After BQing I decided that my next goal would be to run a marathon and lay it all out, like I've never done before. I KNOW doing a 100 miler isn't exactly going to help me with my next goal which is probably why it got put out of my mind. Part of me decided that I wouldn't be running that 100 miler. Course then there's the other part of me (did I mention I'm a Gemini?) that got all bright eyed when she saw that email on Friday. The part of me that doesn't shirk commitments or maybe it's the addicted part lol who knows. Good luck this weekend!! Hope all the smoke is gone by then!!  BTW CONGRATS on your biggest milage week!! Nice long run!

Got in a nice 4 miler. Got home and found a bunch of clumps of dog hair GRRRRRRRR! Kallie got to her tail. The vet had lowered her dose on the steroids and had just upped it back up this morning. Looks like i'm going to do all my running this week (other than the weekend) at night. I just don't dare to leave her alone.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Very cool Kimmie!! Have fun painting and make sure to take pictures!

Good job on the recovery run Paul!

Congrats on another marathon Jelly Smile

Oh Mighty Wing

WRFB - yeah for nesting! You guys will have to check out Skype.

Kimmie - nice run! And enjoy painting!!

Yap - nice recovery run!

Erica - good luck on the half! And I'm really glad your 20miler felt good!!!

Rocken - you are gonna do awesome! and nice 4 miler.

I did a plyo workout today. Felt good! I picked harder exercises than last week so we'll see how i feel tomorrow!

evanflein

So Pam, let me get this straight... you have a 100 miler scheduled, when, this weekend? And you forgot about it? Have you been training for it?? Most people I know who run the 100 have done several 50 to 70 mile "long runs," but while you run doubles a lot, I haven't seen anything like that. Are you really going to do a 100 miler??

4.5 mile recovery run tonight. Pace faster than planned but it was mostly downhill. Nice to have the smoke clear a bit!

So Pam, let me get this straight... you have a 100 miler scheduled, when, this weekend? And you forgot about it? Have you been training for it?? Most people I know who run the 100 have done several 50 to 70 mile "long runs," but while you run doubles a lot, I haven't seen anything like that. Are you really going to do a 100 miler??

4.5 mile recovery run tonight. Pace faster than planned but it was mostly downhill. Nice to have the smoke clear a bit!

Yep pretty much.  No I haven't been training for it *sigh*  I've done a couple 50 milers but that was last year. Yes I'm going to give it my best shot to finish the 100.  I've ran the same course for my last 50 miler same time last year so at least I know what I'm getting into as far as terrain goes. I've talked to many fellow ultra's who've run a 100 on many less miles than I have and they all seem to think I'll be fine. I think I'm pretty much physcially prepared, the mental part is what's got me worried. The course is a series of 4  25 mile out and backs. I'll have no problem pulling out if I feel I need to. I know this may not be the smartest thing to do as far as my training for my marathon however I will use my smarts come race day. Nothing means more to me then to be able to run day to day! Anyway I pretty much did the same thing last May. Signed up for South Moutain 100k forgot about it, didn't really plan on running it awhile after it I changed my goal to BQ at Run for the Red. It was a MUCH tougher course and I pulled out of it when I realized I had a good chance at injury if I kept going. 

I've just gotta STOP signing up for these things! Just because their "free" and close by doesn't mean I have to run them lol

Nice recovery run Erika!! Glad to hear the smoke's cleared a bit more!! Here's to it being smoke free come race day!

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good morning all.

Running summary: Going well, racing a 10k this weekend. Final tune up before my HM late Sep.

Non running summary: Ok overall, but pretty rough. Job is highly stressful for not a lot of scratch. Looking for a new one in a tough market. Homestuff continues to be challenging, but is improving.

So that's it in a nutshell.

Thanks for checking in, Mr I.  Hope things continue to improve.

Slow 10K for me this morning, recovery paced, but included a few strideouts.

6.2 miles, 55:14, 8:56/mi, AHR 143 (73% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

{{Mr Inertia}} You've got a lot on your plate, I hope things settle down on all fronts.

Ok, Pam, sounds like you have a plan at least. Have fun and be careful!!

Smoke is back with a vengeance today. Dense smoke advisory in effect till 4 pm. I'm so sick of this, I just can't stand it! Here this summer would be absolutely gorgeous, but these damn fires ruin so much. We had one of our driest Julys in recorded history here, and one of the warmest. Would normally be very very nice but that's also the cause of the fires. So, here I am, wishing for steady prolonged rain. Normally in late July/early August that wouldn't be hard to wish for. But no rain in sight all week, temps in the low 80's all week and low humidity. Perfect fire conditions. Rats.