PointTimeTime of DayPace
    START 00:00:00 7:09:46 am --
    6M 00:53:34 8:03:19 am 08:56
    HALF 01:58:51 9:08:36 am 09:11
    20M 03:21:42 10:31:27 am 12:02

Estimated

PointTimeTime of Day
    FIN 04:36:29 11:46 am

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Congrats Bryan for finishing a tough race!! Recover well!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Bryan finished in 4:38:12 in what was upper 70s/low 80s it looks like.  That's tough.

The average pace seems way off in the updates, too.  He would have been around 10:30ish for the whole thing.  Maybe the pace was calculated on gun time, not chip time in the updates?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Bryan finished in 4:38:12 in what was upper 70s/low 80s it looks like.  That's tough.

The average pace seems way off in the updates, too.  He would have been around 10:30ish for the whole thing.  Maybe the pace was calculated on gun time, not chip time in the updates?

the pace was of that split not the entire race Paul. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

the pace was of that split not the entire race Paul. 

Thanks.  I was wondering.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

That is tough coming out and running in that heat.  At least he was able to complete it, what with it being closed to others.  Congratulations, Bryan!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

Thanks everyone!  I got the most I could out of me today.  It was 71 at the start and was only supposed to reach the low 80's.  The sky was clear and not partly cloudy as advertised and it got into the low 90's.  Summer running with no acclimation period.  The breeze was good and the humidity stayed around 60% so I was able to keep going.  First 9-miles I kept close to plan and only had 1-mile that was near 1/2M pace so I really didn't run myself out of it early with the 1/2er's.  After 10-miles we were split off from them and entered Forest Park.  Pace started slipping to 9:30ish.  At 14-miles I could only manage 10 mm and soon was dealing out 11's, 12's and 13's. Only walking was through water stations.    I never cramped, never felt sick or weak and  was drinking as much water as I could stand to pour down.  I have learned a few things over the past few years with hot weather endurance runs.  My shoes strings were securely tied but I kept the shoes loose.  The shoes were tight at the end of the race.  No rings on my hands and my garmin strap was loose at the beginning but very tight at around 20-miles and needed adjustment.  At one point my upper legs started to get tight and I swallowed 9 Endurolytes to keep them from cramping.  Every hour I took them.  Tomorrow, after tonights storms are over we might make 60F as a high.  That's just what the weather is in Missouri during April.  DD finished in 4:10 and had a good day running most of the course.  She want's to go back for RNR ST. Louis in October so I'd say she may be hooked on it.  We had a good time at the Expo which was at St. Louis University this year.  Had a nice afternoon Saturday at the Zoo and a wonderful dinner on the Hill at Charlie Gittos. A much different and better experience at Charlie Gittos on the Hill than at Charlie Gittos downtown.  I'm back home now and doing well.  I know I've made improvement this Winter and have a good 1/2 M and 5k to support it.  I feel I can run 3:50 it just wasn't going to happen today. 

You guys are great!  Thanks for all the good wishes and support. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Glad to hear you dealt with it intelligently and had a good time. (Actually I didn't know about those precautionary ideas in case of swelling; interesting.)

My mom asked me, "If they closed the race early, then why the heck didn't they reopen the roads?"

Heh. There's the locals' outlook on racing for you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

on vacation in Vegas, I was patiently waiting for your race report.  Sounds like you had a good time!

5 days left. 

I think I'm enjoying this taper a little too much!