Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/15/10 and recovery from a cancelled marathon (Read 179 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I won't run til later today, but thought I'd start the weekly thread.  Sorry again to all the Myrtle Beachers who got the marathon rug pulled out from under them!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

National Mara website doesn't say anything about being full, and you can still click on the register links for marathon and half-marathon, so hopefully it's not really full yet? But GW mara got delayed, so maybe people shifted to National. I've not signed us up yet either, so I need to try to do that, if it is still open.

Last year I signed up for it after I ran my local marathon two weeks before it, so I assumed that it doesn't fill.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

A little more than 4 miles this afternoon.  Felt good, even though it was windy (up to 20 mph).

I haven't seen any notices on the National page saying it's sold out, either.  I've got my registration receipt from active.com, but my name still isn't showing up when I use the "confirm your registration" tool on the National site.  I'm sure it will show up in time.

Paul

Bugs

Going a little mad crazy. Worked from home today. Felt well enough to work, stay awake, but I still have a deep cough that would scare small children. Not going to rush back and rebound. What a day or two more for good measure right? God I wish it was injury because then I could XT. Trying to clean/disinfect my house.

Bugs

Kimmie

Re: Myrtle Beach Marathon.... it's funny now that I'm a northerner.  When I heard that there was going to be an inch or so of snow on the ground, I said "cool!"  And the locals were really freaking out... wondering how to run a marathon in that kind of weather.  I told them, no, no, don't worry, it will be gone by 9 am... barely sticking to the roads at all.

But then they went and cancelled it,   next morning, what little snow we had was melted.   I may have said this already, we went out for a run and there were so many marathoners out there with their #s on, cheering each other on.  My cousins both had good attitudes about it.   One of my cousins came all the way from Louisville, Ky to run the half.

So, enough about that.

On to National-   I just signed up !!  Smile  I don't know why I thought it was closed... must have misunderstood a conversation I overheard somewhere.

Ok, so where should we meet up ??   We have time, but we can start throwing out places.   Paul, did you book a room?

Lou, Perry, you guys in?

Bugs, feel better soon!!  I have a sore throat that I'm hoping is nothing.

Erika-  you are awesome.  That is a fast long run and I'm most impressed.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Is everyone doing the Half at National? I have to pick my distance, and I don't wanna finish hours after everyone else.

MTA: mamof3 is running the full, and I hope to get her to join us afterward, so I'll probably sign up for full. Plus doing the full gives me an obvious, great race plan.

#1) Run the first half with DW

#2) Die on the second half cause I can't hold the pace for another 13.1

Heh. Plenty likely.

(I'll guess she'll run 7:15-7:25 pace.)

She's fast!

Harriet and I are doing the half, so if you do the full, Perry, you should finish 1/2 hour behind us Smile

I wonder how slow I'll have to run this, and Boston?  It's starting to make me cranky.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Harriet and I are doing the half, so if you do the full, Perry, you should finish 1/2 hour behind us Smile

Good estimate of about when I'll fall over by the roadside and wait for aid Smile

Sorry to hear about the M cancelation Kimmie Sad Sounds like people made the best of it anyways.

Hope your feeling better Bugs!!!

When is the National Half?? Guess I should google it lol

Went up north to visit Amanda. Stopped at her local running store and picked myself up some nice little shoes. Ran in them twice and LOVE THEM! Their Saucony Fastwitch 4.   

Kids are IN SCHOOL WHOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO! Thank goodness. Got in a nice easy run this morning. Thinking of getting a strength training workout in this afternoon however having hills tomorrow that may be pushing it. 

Hope everyone's week is going well Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

I was hoping I could make it for the HM despite my lack of training.  Doesn't look too good.  I'm going overseas again (around the 1st) and don't think I'll make it back in time.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Wait a minute... Kimmie, were you going to run the Myrtle Beach Marathon? I didn't think you had a marathon on the schedule... I agree though; cancelling it was stupid. A lot of people planned, trained for and traveled to that. What are they going to do for all those people? Finding another isn't always an option...

Ok folks, nobody has updated anything on the race schedule post and I KNOW things have changed since that was mostly put together last year. Please take a minute and reply at the end with any additions/corrections so I can update it. I like knowing what people are doing!

Figured Amanda would have the back page of the current Runner's World torn out and plastered on her wall. I think she kinda likes the featured runner...

Pool running last night, trying to figure out how to squeeze in 4 or so tonight with a meeting at lunch and parent-teacher conferences after work. Just a stupid easy paced short run, shouldn't be hard, right?

Bugs

Pam,

I have those shoes, nope I have #3, they hurt my feet miles into a run. I think they are a little narrow and some part of the shoe was rubbing on my foot. It was weird, they look cool though.

Erika,

I know all about squeezing in runs, well most of the time.

I'm at work today, everybody wants me to work from home because my cough is awful at times. My ribs even hurt. I went to the Y at lunch and did 20 minutes of weights and about fainted. But honestly happy to feeling this much better, just need a few more non-run days.

My indoor triathon is in a week, yikes did that training not go as planned.

Signed up for the Mankato Marathon, October 23rd.  Too much local pressure, and for $50 why not. I also really like their logo and want a medal like that.   Hopefully  I'm not last that day!

Bugs

theyapper

On the road again...

Kimmie - No hotel yet.  I'm still studying the metro maps to see the easiest place to stay and get to the start.  Looks like Arlington may be the best area?  I just want to go cheap and not get shot.

Paul

Dave

Kimmie - No hotel yet.  I'm still studying the metro maps to see the easiest place to stay and get to the start.  Looks like Arlington may be the best area?  I just want to go cheap and not get shot.

Two great goals.  Arlington is certainly safe but maybe not all that cheap.  Rosslyn is also relatively easy access with some decent hotels. 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You could stay in Greenbelt near UMCP, although the metro stop is not that convenient to the college  -- a fine warm-up jog to it.

I'd guess anything near either end of the red line would be fairly good neighborhoods?

My references above are to MD stuff; I don't know VA, but I'm willing to believe it probably has nicer hotels and metro access.

I'd avoid Capitol Hill or the MD eastern blue, southern green, or eastern orange lines.   Not that I'm any kind of expert; we moved out well over a decade ago.

An advantage of downtown VA (Rosslyn or Arlington) is that I bet you can get a cab, if they forget to open your metro stop.  They forgot to open Tenleytown last year, for National I think -- but they did finally open it and we did make it there on time.