Marathon Trainers

Pam's first 5 hour training run report (Read 167 times)

since I wasn't racing I'll just post it here

<o:p> </oTongue>

Oh where to start lol. What a brutal day! Flashbacks of when I ran the Lone Ranger 20/24 hours in 2008 popped up in my head many times as I ran yesterday. Amanda and I knew well in advance that this was going to be a training run, that no racing would be done.  We managed to get to park on time with plenty of time to spare. Went to pick up race packets and who was helping the line next to me but the one and only  Anna Piskorska. She’s just returned from representing USA in France on the womens 24 hour team. She does a lot of Ron Horns race’s (first met her at my very first trail race) before going to Poland to visit her family. What a great runner! It was nice talking to her.  Anyway after Amanda and I picked up our race packets we headed to meet Ira, John and Tom (local runners that I run with every so often) <o:p>

My plan was to start out with Ira around a 3:50-4 hour pace and end up around 4:15 or so. Take advantage of the “cool”weather while it was there. Well the first mile was very very congested and you could barely do more than a shuffle for most of it. As far as cool weather. It was muggy from the get go so there really wasn’t anything to take advantage of. It only took me a few miles to realize that today was going to be more like 5 hours than 4 hours which was fine. It reminded me that when I did the back to back long runs in 2009 for my first ultra that it was more about time on feet than how far I went and today was the first of my back to back long runs.  What sealed the deal of the 5 hour long run was getting to mile 6 and finding empty cups with volunteers saying they ran out and that more was on the way.  WOW I just couldn’t believe this. NO WATER??? With the last couple of miles being out in the open with no shade it couldn’t have come at a worse time. I couldn’t stop mumbling to myself what no water for the next half mile. Mile 8 was no different so I ended up having to drink the Gatorade from the course. Didn’t drink much cause that stuff wreaks havoc with my stomach.  At this point I also downed a couple of the s-caps  that I had brought When I got to the turn around for the half I nearly turned around because I really didn’t have much faith that the aid stations would be prepared any more than the previous ones and that could be very dangerous for me. I think there were 3 or 4 of us that talked and debated amongst ourselves if it was really worth risking going on. I guess it must have been cause we all continued. One of the ladies that went on I realized I had met at NODM in Washington last year. Of course she’s another maniac but still what a small world.  I started chatting with this guy (turned out his name was Jeff) and we ended up running together for the rest of the marathon. Him and 3 buddies had come looking to BQ with a time of 3:30 or under. Unfortunately for them they picked the wrong day and race.  We saw many of people coming back and I’d ask each one how long it was until the turnaround (they didn’t have a full course map so wasn’t sure how the last loop went) and I think the first 3 or 4 were people who had planned on doing the half and had missed the turnaround and were just heading back after realizing it. I found out later that there were 3 or 4 half marathoners that finished the marathon due to missing the turn around.<o:p>

Anyway Jeff and I settled into a run/walk pattern. Didn’t have much choice cause our bodies weren’t able to cool down very well due to the humidity. I knew from previous experience that in times like this let the body dictate what you need to do otherwise you could end up in serious trouble. We caught up to Keith Straw around mile 19 or so and ran with him for a bit. He’s a very entertaining guy even when he’s not having a good day. Eventually he dropped and it was just Jeff and I. It started raining around mile 22. Not the drizzle I had asked for but a down pour. Within a couple minutes I’m stopping, grabbing the sleeve of Jeff’s short sleeved shirt and wiping my eyes with it before apologizing for just doing that without asking and also letting him know I was not wiping my nose on it . He’s like do whatcha need to do it’s ok. Well I ended up taking my doo rag off my head and using that to wipe the sweat out of my eyes. Can’t run very well when the eyes are burning. Other than that I was feeling great. I may have looked like a drowned rat but at least I was cooled off a bit. I think by this time all the runners we were playing leap from with since the half mark we were no longer leap frogging.  They were back in the distance who knows how far dealing with their own struggles.  I didn’t expect to be passing people like we did that last half despite the walk/run. Seems like everyone was doing that even a lot of the front packers (saw many of them walking). Had a nice surprise of seeing my husband at the 22 mile aid station. What an awesome man he is!  Passed a local runner that I know (frequent BQ’R, he’s like 30) around mile 23-24. First thought was DAMN I shouldn’t be passing him. Anyway I was loosing mental fortitude towards the end. I would stop when I didn’t even need to. I ended up telling Jeff to just keep going. I ALMOST missed the hard right going up a steep incline to the finish line. There were two turns and I took the first but somehow I knew I was wrong and asked one of the peeps that I saw if I was taking the right turn . They of course said NO YOU NEED TO GO UP THE STEEP HILL lol. Go figure anyway I managed to run up it though I really just wanted to stop and walk up (DAMN PRIDE LOL) Needless to say I crossed the finish line in 4:56 about 30 seconds after Jeff did. <o:p>

Ira and his GF were there cheering me on. Ira was nice enough to break the rules and smuggle a nice cold beer in for me (Oh did I mention I had beer at the 25 mile aid station? Mmmmmm it was soooooo good) <o:p>

All in all it was a successful training run. No stomach issue’s. Only stopped twice to use outdoor room lol. 3 gels, 8 or so s-caps, a couple pieces of pretzel, 3 or 4 swedish fish , not sure how much water and a glass of beer got me through the run with no tummy issue’s or electrolyte problems.<o:p>

<o:p>

<o:p> MTA: Not sure where these smiley's came from </oTongue>

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hawt and sexy

And an hour later, I came across the line. So does that mean I have a 6 hour run now? I still can't believe we did that. I am too stupid to stop. What's your excuse?

I'm touching your pants.

evanflein

What about those poor goobers who were entered in the half and ended up doing the full?? Good grief...

Beer at the aid station! I bet that's the secret to finishing like you did. Actually, not a bad time at all for those conditions. Too bad you couldn't have just thrown Amanda a life line and dragged her in behind you. Wink

Did you do the post in word first, and then copy/paste here? When I did that, I got all those goofy faces, too.

Bugs

Yikes, so they didn't give you any ice on the course? Grandmas at least provides ice.

Bugs

And an hour later, I came across the line. So does that mean I have a 6 hour run now? I still can't believe we did that. I am too stupid to stop. What's your excuse?

YOU 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

What about those poor goobers who were entered in the half and ended up doing the full?? Good grief...

Beer at the aid station! I bet that's the secret to finishing like you did. Actually, not a bad time at all for those conditions. Too bad you couldn't have just thrown Amanda a life line and dragged her in behind you. Wink

Did you do the post in word first, and then copy/paste here? When I did that, I got all those goofy faces, too.

There were a lot that missed the turn around did a few more miles before realizing it then turned back to finish the half. CRAZY I tell ya.

I wrote it in outlook. Not sure why I do that instead of word.

Yikes, so they didn't give you any ice on the course? Grandmas at least provides ice.

There was a family that had just arrived with a bucket of ice with waters. I asked if I could have some ice, they said help yourself . So I did. The lady then said this probably won't be here when you get back and my reply was that's ok either will this (my ice boobs lol)  and no the course had no ice. We were lucky to get water

Hawt and sexy

Look at these crazy peeps.

See, Pam has way nicer abs than I do.

MTA: This is one of very few pics that have me without my goofy grin. huh.

I'm touching your pants.

theyapper

On the road again...

Great report, Pam.  I learn so much from you guys when you post about the tough races/runs, and I appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing the pic, too, Amanda.  You both have better abs than I do.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Thanks Paul! Like you I like to read about people's tough runs/races. I'm always learning.

Damn will where do you find these crazy's?? lol