Marathon Trainers

December 2012 (Read 366 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Can I join up????  I'm a RW chick like Damaris.  I started running in March, ran the Des Moines marathon as my first race in October and ran a 3:32.  Here's a link to my Des Moines RR from October, which gives some more info about me/my training, etc.   http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners/rr-des-moines-marathon-went-couch-bq-7-months-after-started-running-pics

So you definitely have a faster marathon in your future, with some control in the first half Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lou -- is your "18 week training plan" for National? (Yes, I admit it-- I'm too lazy to calculate it out.) (And I know they've changed its name, but I find it much easier to keep calling it National.)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've gone fast the last three days, so clearly I've recovered my enjoyment in running. I've two races this coming weekend, but they're ones I do every year - 5K & 15K. My main task for the winter, I think, is to see if I can recruit some company for long runs, as our training group of the last couple winters has kind of disintegrated, and my biggest weakness is lack of stubbornness to push through long runs solo.

Lou -- is your "18 week training plan" for National? (Yes, I admit it-- I'm too lazy to calculate it out.) (And I know they've changed its name, but I find it much easier to keep calling it National.)

Boston.  But Harriet and I will be running the National Half again, as a tune-up race.  Glad you have your mojo back.

RMT3B - that's a lot of miles for anyone, especially someone who has been running only 9 months!  Yes, you definitely have faster races in your future.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Can I join up????  I'm a RW chick like Damaris.  I started running in March, ran the Des Moines marathon as my first race in October and ran a 3:32.  Here's a link to my Des Moines RR from October, which gives some more info about me/my training, etc.   http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners/rr-des-moines-marathon-went-couch-bq-7-months-after-started-running-pics

Now I'm about to start training for the Carmel marathon in a couple of weeks (I just found off my timing is wrong...I thought I started training 12/10, but it's 12/17...oopsies!!).  I'm upgrading to Pfitz's 18/85 plan from Pfitz's 18/70+ (I added miles so I averaged 74 mpw) last time around.  I ran a PB 340 miles last month, just base building prior to training.  I'm taking a cut back week this week, though - feeling pretty trashed!  Anyway,  I look forward to meeting and getting to know you all! 

Welcome to the group! It's so nice to have new faces and some renewed energy in here. I think it will serve to motivate me to stay active and get off my butt this year.

Im on the fence on whether to do the Spring NC24 or a Spring marathon. Weirdly, the 24 races have become less intimidating for me..I really enjoyed them despite not training..I've struggled more running marathons undertrained than the 24 hour races. The plan of course is to train--and I would love to knock out one strong marathon in my life..so right now Im leaning towards the Pig in the Spring and the Fall 24 hour race.

runmomto3boys

Amores: Yes!  CONTROL!  That's the key.  I totally lost control during my race.  I am hoping to show some restraint in Carmel!  What are you training for in the Spring? Anything?  Do you have a lot of experience running marathons?  I am such a noob.  I need lots of advice and I tend to ask lots of questions!  Good luck to you in killing it at your races this upcoming weekend.  I can't imagine racing both a 5K and 15K in the same weekend.  Are you trying to PR or just running for fun?  I hope you are able to hook up with some other runner(s) for your LRs this winter.  I am more of a solo runner myself, but I think it would have benefited me in my race to have had some more experience running with a group. 

WillRun: Awwww, thanks!  So you are running Boston this upcoming Spring????  Ohhh, I'm so excited for you.  I qualified too this year, but registration closed a week or so prior to my race, so I have to register for 2014.  Have you run it before?  Are you running it to race it or just enjoy the experience?  What plan are you using?

Murphy:  Thanks for the warm welcome!!  It's nice to meet you too!  That's crazy incredible that you don't feel like the 24 hour races are as intimidating anymore.  I can't even IMAGINE doing that, but - I'm not going to lie - I'm secretly an ultra runner wanna be!  I know what you mean about picking and choosing though.  Your plan sounds like a solid one.  Now, I don't know much about the Pig.  Is that a challenging course? 

I screwed up my calculations (duh-ohhh) and I start training for Carmel on 12/17 instead of 12/10.  Oopsies.  Whatever, though.  I really needed a breather this week b/c my legs are trashed, so it is what it is.  Two of my three littles (5 and 3 year olds) have birthdays this week and b/t parties and family get-togethers, it would have been hard to run a lot of miles anyway.  

The Flying Pig in Cincinnati is very challenging. Very hilly for this area anyhow. Most of the elevation change is in the first 10 miles, but the first time I ran it, I got killed with a sneaky little hill around mile 17 that barely was a blip on the elevation chart--then right after that you hit a stretch of highway that can get very hot with zero shade. It is a great marathon though - and in my hometown.

WillRun: Awwww, thanks!  So you are running Boston this upcoming Spring????  Ohhh, I'm so excited for you.  I qualified too this year, but registration closed a week or so prior to my race, so I have to register for 2014.  Have you run it before?  Are you running it to race it or just enjoy the experience?  What plan are you using?

:

Two of my three littles (5 and 3 year olds) have birthdays this week and b/t parties and family get-togethers, it would have been hard to run a lot of miles anyway.  

This will be my 4th Boston.  Would have been my 5th but I had to DNS in 2010 due to a stupid injury 9 or 10 days before the race.  During an easy run.  Sheesh.  But I was able to spectate, and support my wife and all our internet friends, so that wasn't horrible.  That would have been my 3rd, so I didn't have anything to prove, and decided not to run it injured.  Harriet and I have both qualified on the same years for the most part, so that's been good -- I guess she was qualified for 2012 and I wasn't but we were planning to skip this year anyway, so that worked out fine.

I'll be racing it.  But as always it depends on the day.  I've been using Pfitz pretty much since I started running in May 2005, but not as much miles as you.  I've used his 24/55 mostly, but last race was 18/55.  Last couple of years I have been adding 3 mile runs on most "rest" days, so I have been peaking around 61 or 62 mpw.

Yeah, we were both lucky to qualify on Oct 7 (Steamtown, in Scranton, PA -- great course, BTW), and get registered their final weekend.  Plus we're qualified for 2014 now, too!

How do you find any time at all to run with those little ones?  Smile

My cold seems to be going away fairly quick...that's nice.  I may try to get in a few miles tomorrow!

Murphy - I walked the Flying Pig half with a friend last run and knew that I'd have to come back and run it some day.  I loved that race!  There is a high probability that I'll be running the full in 2013. 

WillRunForBeer - I noticed you are a homebrewer.  Whatcha got cookin?  My husband homebrews and even though I don't help much with the process, I love the output :-)  Also, the spent grain is great for baking!

rainmakerrc

Hi, Heidi and everyone!  Other than a brief introduction, I haven't posted much in the user group yet since I still have a couple more weeks of recovery/rebuild following my first marathon at Chickamauga last month (race report here, if anyone's interested).  Things are coming along nicely, and the mileage is starting to build back up again.  

I just pulled the trigger and registered for marathon #2 today, the Publix Georgia Marathon here in Atlanta in March (on St. Paddy's Day).  Gonna jump back into a formal Pfitz plan Christmas week.  I did 18/70 for Chickamauga, but I'm only doing the last 12 weeks of 18/70 this time around, since I still have the base and fitness from the last cycle.  Looking forward to training with everyone for our races in 2013!

WillRunForBeer - I noticed you are a homebrewer.  Whatcha got cookin?  My husband homebrews and even though I don't help much with the process, I love the output :-)  Also, the spent grain is great for baking!

Last brew was in October, an English Pale Ale.  I currently have that, an Irish Red and a Mild on tap.  I have ingredients for Czech Pilsner, but it was too warm to brew it over the summer, and I haven't gotten around to it since.  "love the output" -- heh, just like my wife, that hop head.  

How do you use the spent grain, Becki?

Ok, for the Pfitz xx/70 folks, I just have to say (and it's none of my business), please be careful.  I know several people who have started with too much volume, too fast, and they either gotten burned out or too injured to run.  Remember, the most important thing is to get to the starting line.  

I've been running since 2005 and have 16 marathons under my belt, and am not sure I could remain healthy running 70-80 miles a week.  Of course, I'm 55 and that comes into the equation, but new runners have to strengthen their bones, etc., before they can take that kind of hammering.

Ok.  I've said my piece.  Carry on.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Long time no post.  Marathon # 10 is done.  Horribly, but done.  I won't run for another PR for another 10 months but I have plenty of marathons til then, I assure you.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runmomto3boys

Murphy: That sounds like a great race, seriously!  I'm excited for you that you have a plan in place for the Spring now!  Yay!

Will Run: I can't believe you have run Boston that many times and that you now get to run it with your wife in the Spring - SO FUN!!  What a great experience, seriously.  I am excited to watch/cheer you on as you train.  I am also a Pfitz devotee.  The plan works for me and while it's challenging, the speed work isn't too over the top for me being a noob.  I am an attorney turned stay-at-home Mom and that is the only reason why I can run the miles that I am right now.  My hubby comes home and we tag team; I go out and run and he plays zone w/the three boys!

Popcorn Frog: I'm super happy to hear you are on the mend - yay for getting healthy!!!

Rob: I'm excited for you!  Congrats on registering for the March full.  You are going to kill it.  You had such a textbook training cycle last time around and did so well in your last marathon.  I can't wait to watch you train / race this one!

Will Run: I appreciate the advice and I know I did some REALLY crazy stuff w/my mileage build up initially.  I'm lucky I didn't get hurt.  There's no doubt that it's taxing running int he 70-80 mpw range, either.   I'm still trying to figure out what # is best for me, b/c I don't want to sacrifice quality for quantity either, you know?  I'm actually taking the rest of this week off just to re-charge too.  I ramped up very fast after my 10/21 marathon and I do feel drained: not a way to start a new cycle.  A break is in order and I'm going to enjoy the week off!  Anyway, I always appreciate advice from people with experience, so thank you for that.  Duly noted!

Damaris: I know the race was a tough one, but you gutted it out and got #10 in the books.  I'm so proud of you!

evanflein

All you people training for marathons... I'm so envious! I intentionally didn't register for Boston, or any other spring marathon for that matter, because I didn't want to be held to a training plan in the winter here. And, work has been a bear so I've been super busy there, too. But... I do miss not having a race to train for. 2012 had only 2 marathons for me (Boston, and Equinox) and that's the fewest in quite awhile. Phooey.

I'll echo the caution of too-much-too-soon but you're all big people who can make their own decisions. Just be careful when ramping up so much. 

Our cold snap continues, with temps hovering in the mid minus 30's today. No appreciable warm up all this week. We leave for NY on Friday, and I'm really looking forward to the above-seasonal temps they're having! It will be nice to run outside, in shorts, again.

I ran 8.1 today on the treadmill (again) with 6 x .5 mile repeats @ 8:00, then 2 x .25 mile bits @ 7:30, the rest at 8:34. Felt good, for a run in the garage.

ETA: Hi PERRY!!!!!!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hi, Erika! It got cold here recently -- down near freezing -- but then it warmed up.

I hope your temps get up to not more than 40 deg F below ours Smile