Marathon Trainers

Week of 5/4 (Read 358 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I can't wait to see shots of either you OR Lou running a marathon in a dress. Or am I getting FB and RA mixed up?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

You are getting mixed up.... I'm going to go put on my dress now... I may or may not post pictures...Big grin
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There is some sort of red dress run -- I am not sure of the details, but someone here was thinking of running it at some point...

Nice solid run Bugs!! Congrats! YOU are going to KICK GRANDMA"S ASS!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Took the day off from running yesterday. Just had too much to do. Should have known better. Between eating crappy yesterday night (girl scout sleep over so pizza, chips, dorito's, oreo's oh and breakfast of champs (donut holes) this morning, "sleeping" on hard wood floor and heat my body turned on me and like usual temp, body aches, and nausea set in. Go figure we had an even more hectic day today. Inlaws came in to town along with SIL and her better half. Had famiy portraits done. Dinner at a really nice Seafood and Steak restaurant. Course by the time we got there I was feeling well enough to eat lots of crab meat, calimari, scallops, a bowl of Snow Crab bisque, main entry of halibut and part of dh's Tuna and of course for dessert some of dh's creme brulle and a bowl of berries with creme freche. I'm stuffed. I didn't get a run in however I better get one in tomorrow. Between yesterday, today and what is planned for tomorrow, I don't even want to think of how many calories I end up eating. BTW Happy Mothers day To Erika, Bugs and to all the wives of Team Blister men!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I wasn't hungry til I read your post Smile

I have a MAJOR tummy ache however it was all worth it (at least dinner tonight). I probably consumed 3-4,,000 calories at dinner easily (also had a few cokes and some beer )

Bugs

4:08 felt like a nice, easy jog??? Oh my goodness, that's awesome. So glad you and Shan got to meet.
                  Oh I can't wait for pictures. It was fun day. The course doubled backed because of a changed route due to flooding and we got to see the leaders head for home and cheer them on. You know I ran one three hour run for this race, and two hours of that run were ran very easily. The pace was really easy, and probably would have PR'd had my calves not acted up, but worked out for the best to run slower. Even at the very end I had ZERO problems picking up my legs. I am big believer now of hill springing, and getting to the starting line very fresh. I am also now a big believer that everyone should run one marathon, trained, on fresh legs, easy, with no time goals. It was so fun and recharged me. Was great meeting Shan, what a gem, and wow can that girl run. Erika, you would be proud, I plunged into an ice bath with three bags of ice afterwards. Pam, I think I ate more than you today!!! Hitting a mother's buffet tomorrow and can't wait. P.S. It's offiicial... I now love you all!

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Erika, you would be proud, I plunged into an ice bath with three bags of ice afterwards. ...
                    Great job - I'm always too lazy to do the icing...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ok, I'm sorry if this is too long, but I'm proud of my race report for my second race today, and want to go ahead and post it here, even though it is awfully long. Bridge Run .05K, Crack of Noon, Annapolis, MD After our North Beach Turtle Run on Saturday morning, we drove up to Fleet Feet Annapolis to pick up some new shoes. We found a bunch of people milling around in the parking lot, many with dogs, and many with race bibs on, and what looked like a registration table in the center of the turmoil. While my wife worked at trying on shoes, I investigated the parking lot muddle, and discovered that it was the .05K Bridge Run, to be run at the Crack of Noon. I went back in to report the finding to my wife, and then convinced myself that I should run it; after all, it might well be my only chance to run this particular distance of road race. I registered, and asked them, "Can I put on a bib like some of these people?" They gave me one, and safety pins. I didn't notice that there was no coordination of my registration form with the bib. They showed me a course map. It was one of the most legible course maps I've ever beheld. It looked roughly thus: START----WATERSTOP---FINISH. I went back inside to show off my bib to my wife, and then noticed that most of the people had vanished from the parking lot. I went and asked what had happened, and discovered that the parking lot was also the finish line, and that start line was on the far side of the bridge. So I jogged across the bridge; lo, and behold, all the dogs and puppies and people were spilling over the sidewalks on both sides of the other side of the bridge, so I joined right in with the muddle, and chatted with a few people. After a few minutes, I noticed that not only did I have a five digit bib number -- which seemed like a pretty big number -- but so did everyone else; further, everyone had exactly the same bib number. Cute touch, that. A police car showed up to close the bridge for our race, but right then a boat came up, and the drawbridge opened up for it, so we all waited for the drawbridge to go up and come down, during which time the guy with the loudspeaker explained that there would be a countdown from 10 to 1 and then the gunshot. Someone standing next to me spotted a lady with a musket up on a deck of the Yacht Club next to us, which revealed whence the gunshot would come. My wife had come out to watch the race, and walked up toward the water stop, to see if she could see both the finish and the start simultaneously. She told me that the pace car (yes, we even had a pace car) was supposed to get to the water stop before the race started, but the race started before it got there, and the pace car had to gun its engine to race for the finish line before the runners got to it. I started in the second row, behind a walker and a couple young girls. I could tell the girls were going to sprint, so I figured they'd shoot out past the walker, at which point there'd be room for me to sprint out. The girls and I were careful to not get entangled in the leash of the dog of the woman standing next to me (the musket-spotter). After the countdown and the gunshot, the girls raced out and there was an opening, so I sprinted out, up the bridge, and down to the finish line. As you might guess, I did not go for the water stop. I was actually gaining on the leaders as we approached the finish line; I think they were easing up in anticipation of being done. After I finished, a guy with a stopwatch came up to ask me my name, and tell me that I was third place. I guess he was the guy with the job of timing third place. So I actually received my official time, but I quickly forgot exactly what it was -- 38 something. That's not what I might expect for a 50m (.05K) dash), so I'll estimate that the course was about 350% too long. This might well be the only race I ever run that was over three times longer than billed. It was also probably the most entertainment per mile run. Eventually they did awards, and they called me up to stand in the pickup truck and receive my trophy. It is a cute stick figure made out of pipe cleaner, stapled to a piece of plywood. As explained by the race director: "If you're only going to take 38s to run my race, I'm only going to take 38s to make your trophy." All in all, it was a pretty polished comic effort, which is probably due to this being, according to my t-shirt, the twelfth annual .05K Bridge Run. My shirt also has what I guess is the race's subtitle on it: "The marathon without all the running."

What a funny race, Perry! Fun!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave

Hey, Dave - check out http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=78686&id=586838002&ref=nf . You can see I wasn't smiling through the whole race. Smile Like Kim said on FB - congrats on the house, and when are you moving?
                          Yep, you were all frowns: You look great Lou. I should close on the house around 18 June and move in about 10 days later. The renters will move in here around the 1st of July so I'm carrying both houses but only for about 2 weeks. I'll have a couple of weeks to get settled in before I have to start work. Happy Mothers Day to all those mom's out there!

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy mother's day! Yeah, after I stopped running I was smiling Tongue Perry, I ran Terra Firma today for the first time, I think. Actually I did most of the loop into that development starting at Terra Firma -- that goes up 85 feet in 0.3 miles, a 5% grade, then continues a bit more before cresting. Terra Firma starts just before mile 6 on this chart. There was another 75 foot climb starting just before mile 8 -- that one wasn't as visually intimidating as Terra Firma, though (which wasn't really so bad after all my whining). 10.4 miles, 1:25:58, 8:14/mi, AHR 152 (78% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

nice hill run - and nice elevation report Smile

evanflein

Ok, that has got to be the funniest race report ever. Perry, good job on your 3rd place trophy! I'm sure it'll get a very nice spot on the bookcase. I kinda like a race I wouldn't have to train for. Lou! Finally, you got out there and ran like a girl! Heh, see, it's not so bad, right? Hills are good for you! (what Lou didn't say here is that this route is one his wife does a lot... but he usually avoids!) You FB people have some nerve. If I'm not registered on FB (and I don't wanna be...) I can't even see the pictures, much less respond. It doesn't allow unregistered lurkers. Can you post the pics here, too? Pam, I think every now and then you've gotta have a weekend like you've had. Just let it go. I think you work yourself pretty hard most days so a couple of "cheat" days are good for you. (just don't make a habit of it!) Nice, Bugs. Very nice to see you got some results from that training. I know you had your doubts at times, but the big pay off was in the finish (well, and the race itself). And Yay on the ice bath! I haven't actually done one in awhile, but somehow it's hard to finish a long run in sub-freezing (or sub-zero!) temps and then hop in a bath of ice. I'm sure my DH would've had me committed if I'd done that. More like... drain the hot water heater in the shower!! But I'll be soaking in my trashcan of ice water later this summer, I'm sure!