Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/4 (Read 298 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Actually had a bit of time to drop in and be social today. While things have been very up in the air for me on many frints, I've kept my postings to training and racing related threads and haven't been very social. It's just the way things have been for me. Hoping the trend continues and I can be here a bit more.

Dave

Great to see you MrI.

1:56 and some change for me at Brooksie Way.  I ran conservatively with Rvelich and linked up with Jeremy whose time I will not divulge.  It was really nice to be out there racing again.  I think I could've gone closer to 1:50 but probably not much faster.  It was a hilly course.

Everyone is invited next year 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

that is so cool, Dave.   Your  " I haven't trained at all- time"  is my " that was pretty good for a hilly course time."  Smile

So glad you had fun.  Look forward to hearing about Jeremy's race.

Good morning Mr. I-   we want to hear more from you!

I may post this on the main boards... but maybe you guys can help me here first.   Today and last Sunday I feel bloated and swollen?   It's weird... like my rings are tight.... like how I felt when I was pregnant.  I wonder what that can be from?

Too much salt?  electrolytes out of balance?  I feel like my nutrition is the same.  It went away last week by Monday or Tuesday, I think.   So, I'm hoping that it's just a one day thing again.

Gorgeous outside here today... wondering how the Army Ten Miler went for a lot of my friends today.

Happy Camper

Kimmie:  My hands swell when I need salt and electrolytes.  Try some sports drink or endurolytes.  I do not know or care to know if that's what feeling pregnant is like.   

9&change at very easy pace on single track mud trails this morning.  Easy week until this coming Sunday for me. 

Nice marathon Lou! 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Great Job Lou! That is one very nice marathon. Can't wait for the details.

Oh I didn't run today. I was busy, felt blah, back is bothering me lately. Going to go get on the treadmil.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I went short today; I think I need to do an easy week this week (I suspect yesterday's 10K wiped me out b/c I didn't rest much after the mara the week before, and I've another mara in a week).  But it was lovely out, so I didn't want to stop after the short run. It's no fun practicing self-discipline like that...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

I've been really busy, so just skimming the boards today, but I really have so much more to do before my trip. I did get out for a nice tempo run yesterday (5 miles, 7:48 avg pace, each mile faster than the one before), and the 2.2 mile trudge up the hill wasn't too bad either at 8:30 avg (actually, I don't think I've ever done those two miles that fast before!), for 7.2 miles for the day. Then spent the rest of the day cleaning the garage and finishing up a bunch of yard work. Can't believe the weather we're having! Our lawn and yard has never looked so "ready" for winter, it's great.

Today wasn't as sunny as yesterday, but it still was nice enough, low 40's temps and no rain. Headed out for my last long run before RVM, goal was 12-14 miles at easy pace after yesterday's tempo and yard work. Well, first mile was sub 8, and it went along from there...

Mile 1 7:59

Mile 2 7:59

Mile 3 8:00

Mile 4 8:08

Mile 5 8:10

Mile 6 8:11

Mile 7 8:04

Mile 8 8:07

Mile 9 8:10

Mile 10 8:07

Mile 11 8:09

Mile 12 8:02

Mile 13 8:27 (heading back up the hill to home)

Mile 14 8:35

I have no idea where these paces are coming from...but I hope I can hang onto them till next week!!!

Hi, Mr I -- good to see you!

Erika - you look so ready for RVM!

I don't know nothing about bloating.

Rest day for me today, unless I get a chance to run a few after we get back.  I'd like to do that recovery run thing, but we'll be leaving kind of early.

At dinner we met other runners.  This was one guy's 6th marathon and he was thinking anywhere between 2:40 and 3:10 (BQ).  Fast!  He broke 3 but only ran that slow because he had some stomach issues.

One of our friends (CNYrunner from masters) was 1st master female -- that was pretty cool hearing her name called.  She ran 3:20.  Also fast!

Waiting for PDR to wake up -- you hardly ever hear me say that. Smile  I know she had trouble sleeping because I saw her at the computer at 1am.  I had trouble getting to sleep but slept well, right up until about 4:30  .  Well I'm not working today, so will have time to catch up later.

Here are my official results from yesterday.  Funny they keep changing the final time (it was 3:34:36 on the wall where they posted the results -- garmin had 3:34:34).  I was 17/66 in AG and 155/783 OA.

Overall

------- Leg 1 -------

------- Leg 2 -------

------- Leg 3 -------

Total

Place

Place

Name

Rnk

Time

Pace

Rnk

Time

Pace

Rnk

Time

Pace

Time

Lou King

1:12:51

8:01/M

1:15:21

8:17/M

1:06:20

8:16/M

3:34:32

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hail to The Victors!

Great to see you MrI.

1:56 and some change for me at Brooksie Way.  I ran conservatively with Rvelich and linked up with Jeremy whose time I will not divulge.  It was really nice to be out there racing again.  I think I could've gone closer to 1:50 but probably not much faster.  It was a hilly course.

Everyone is invited next year 

Yeah, that half is so much fun, and catching you guys before and after made it a whole bunch better.  I finished in 1:40:40something, quite a disappointment in terms of all of the summer work I did, but a good time and a nice fun run.  Even though it feels like I've already taken a month off from running, I'll be cutting back for another month or so and seeing if I can take care of the knee.  I have a trip to the massage therapist Thursday where hopefully we can localize this thing and figure out exactly what the problem is.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

hah!

Made my "goals" (for a quota by any other name...) at work for September. It's one of the reasons I haven't been around much - job stress has been making me a bit nutso. Looks like I have a little breathing room for now.

Not sure If I'll run today or not. I'm pretty well caught up here at work so the opportunity may very well present itself. However I've run 5 days in a row while in recovery mode. They've been short and super easy, but still might be a good idea to take a day off.

Going to make use of my fitness for the Akron half (1:41:21 - big PR) and hammer out a 5k PR on the 17th. Once I do that, all of my PRs will be fairly up to date.

evanflein

hah!

Made my "goals" (for a quota by any other name...) at work for September.

Anyone have the heart to tell Mr I. that it's October 5?

Nice racing you guys. Lou was running with a fast crowd there. That time got you just 17th in your AG?

I've got a ton of things to do today, leave early tomorrow morning for work trip to Dallas, then hitting RVM on the way home. I want to run a bit today since I won't be able to tomorrow... but not sure when I'll squeeze it in.

Kimmie

Good morning!

Just got back from working at the gym and lifting weights myself...   arms are shot!  The swelling is gone, too, btw... so that's good.  Probably need more gatorade after the race.  Thanks Pace.

Bugs- hope your back is nothing major..

Perry- what's next?

Erika- that's a blazing fast time on a tempo run.  

What's RVM?  Should I know that?

Lou- fantastic race!  And you were holding back?  That's so cool.  What happened with PDR?  If you don't mind me asking... I like following her progress too.

Jeremy-  try to hang in there with the injury.  That's a good time... I want to hear more details about the race, especially if I'm going to run it next year. Smile  My inlaws would love that.

hi Mr. I and everybody else!

Hail to The Victors!

Jeremy-  try to hang in there with the injury.  That's a good time... I want to hear more details about the race, especially if I'm going to run it next year. Smile  My inlaws would love that.

So the course starts at Oakland University, and is a net downhill for the first 4 miles, it's a great way to get going, and if you were looking for a PR, I might use the hills to conserve energy for the second half.  From mile 4-6, it's run through downtown Rochester mostly on two gravel/dirt trails, which are really nice, and serve to help break up the course...for at about 6.5, the hills start---four big rolling hills, one after another from 6.5 to 12.  The first one has the biggest slope, but the last one is tricky, as you think you are done with the hill, and then you see that there is more after you reach the crest...it's not steep, but it can be disenchanting.  After 12, it's pretty much a downhill sprint to the finish.

The cool thing to me about the race is that it doesn't seem like a half, it's like four different races, the downhill part, the flat part through Rochester, the rolling hills, and then the run to the finish.  It's a great course.

evanflein

Kimmie, RVM is the Royal Victoria Marathon on Oct. 11. I'm heading out tomorrow morning to Dallas for meetings, then joining DH in Seattle on Friday and we're driving up to Victoria for the weekend. Be home Monday night.
                                First - good races for both Jeremy and Dave after long lay-offs.  I can understand being disappointed with the times, but it will come back -- you guys both "have it".

Kimmie - Harriet decided to try to break 4:00, went out fast, and blew up at mile 20.  She was pretty miserable for the last 10K.  But she is gutsy and finished with 10 minute miles.  Still she BQ'd for 2011 (she already is in for 2010) -- she ages up for the 2011 race.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com