Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/22/2010 Last Week of February!! (Read 297 times)

evanflein

Come on over to the new weekly, folks!

Cash, it's a deal. I want to see you in Fairbanks in February. Heh.

Nice hills there, Pam. I've been avoiding hills but need to get back to it.

Anyone else out there totally sick of winter? I've been loving the warm temps we've been having, but it's made the snow soft and slippery so footing is a problem. I really don't want to run on the treadmill this week, but outside is a drag when you slip and stumble around in the snow. Hard to get any push-off. Guess I'll just have to play chicken with the cars and run in the road.

How's Bugs feeling today?

Lonely over here...  I'll join you, Erika.  Yes I'm sick of winter, but it sure is nice that the plows came and cleaned up our road some.

I think I'm catching Bugs' cold.  I'm trying to ignore it.

I plan to run like 5 every other day this week, slowly.  If that goes ok, more next week.  We'll see.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey guys.  Seems slow around here today, huh?

Hope your recovery plan goes well, Lou.  I ran 30 minutes of moderate pace.  Felt good.  This past Saturday I ran 11 miles and really struggled.  Not completely sure why - not much sleep, tired legs after my tempo run, a combination.  Who knows?

I do remember being around mile 9 and thinking, "Did I really run a marathon?"   Well, here's hoping for better runs this week.

BTW, do any of you have suggestions for things I can do to help me feel like I'm running lighter on my feet?  I feel like I'm just thudding on the road every time I step.  Sorry, don't know how to be much more descriptive than that!  Thanks in advance.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Cashmason

Cash, it's a deal. I want to see you in Fairbanks in February. Heh.

Umm  I think Peter should have some jackets in his closet that   I could wear.   Other than that you would have to keep me warm... wink.

Wonder if your boys would listen to me when I told them it was time to do their homework?

Cashmason

BTW, do any of you have suggestions for things I can do to help me feel like I'm running lighter on my feet?  I feel like I'm just thudding on the road every time I step.  Sorry, don't know how to be much more descriptive than that!  Thanks in advance.

You have any grass fields that you could run barefoot ?

My coach had us do skipping drills on the college track,  to get us quicker and lighter on our feet.

I told her, she would have to buy us rainbow colored shirts,  as none of the guys felt very manly skipping around the track  while the college football players were working out  right next to us.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How about some striders, or short sprints?

My idea is that you will be too pumped up doing the striders/sprints to notice your feetfalls then, and then right afterward, you'll be too happy to be recovering to care.

Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hawt and sexy

If you run barefoot, you will only pound the ground with your feet once. If you are skerd, try a short run in raceing flats first.

I have been busy watch hawt men in tight pants on the tv.  Winter Olympics are nice.  Now if I could only get a movement started that would get the men wearing tight shorts in the Summer Olympics, that would be great.  I mean, if the women can run marathons in nothing more than a glorified bikini, the men should have no problem hitting the road in tri-spanks.  This would be heaven. 

The bad news is there is less than one week left of Winter Olympics.  Then four more years until hawt men in tight pants come back.  Men, I challenge you to run in man spanks.  Please, for the love of every thing human, just do it.

I am not sure, bur I might be going just a little crazy from running on Javier so much.  I think I need to train outside.

I'm touching your pants.

Dave

I wonder if I saw Peter down in here in Fort Lauderdale?  Is he at the Sheraton?  Right on the beach .

4 miles for me last night along the beach.  Chased a very fast girl from miles 3 to 4 (7:57 pace).  Cramped up and slowed down.  Didn't catch her. 

I'd start a petition, Willamona.  Send it into the USOC.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

4 miles for me last night along the beach.  Chased a very fast girl from miles 3 to 4 (7:57 pace).  Cramped up and slowed down.  Didn't catch her. 

We've found a way to get Dave to run more!!  Smile

Cash is going to Alaska?   I want to meet the famous Cash.  It doesn't even get that cold here.  National 1/2 marathon, baby... everybody needs to come here!!

Rest day yesterday, loving those hills lately, just not having such good long runs.  We'll see what happens this week.

Tonight I plan to run tempo with the group again.

Oh and Paul-  my legs feel heavy when I'm overtrained or not running easy enough... could that be it?

Have a good day all!!

National is out for me, although Harriet will be running it so I'll be there.  Have we picked a place for the post-race meet-up yet?  I think where we met last time was fine, but I don't know the name of it.

I'm still hopeful for Boston (I'll be there regardless, too) -- my plan is to run 5 easy every other day, then increase slowly.  I have my 5 in for today, at 9:30 pace.  I was ok, although I did feel it.  'nuf about me, though...

Apolo did great so far -- are there more events?  I'm really excited about the hockey.

evanflein

Lou, I'm not so sure about Boston either. Maybe we'll jog it in together.

Dave, my DH is at the Westin Diplomat, or was. He's gone now. He did meet up for lunch with a friend of ours who posts on the Master's thread though. Breger lives down there and drove up to Orlando last year when I ran the Disney Marathon so we met him and his wife. He and DH get along pretty well so I'm sure they had fun.

This week is all messed up! DS2 has early soccer practice tonight so hard to fit in an after-work run. I really don't want to run on the treadmills at the gym at lunch because I just don't like them. I'll be in Anchorage Thursday and Friday, and my boss set up a dinner appointment with a vendor rep right after our meetings so no time to run then. I could run Friday morning but really wanted that day off because I've got a big running weekend scheduled. And next week I'll be in Scottsdale all week for meetings, and it's a peak running week! Argh. I'm hoping the meeting schedule in AZ is loose enough I'll be able to get my runs done. This marathon training thing is hard when life keeps getting in the way!

Cashmason

Take your garmin to Scottsdale  Erika.

That way you can run out the door of the hotel,  and the Garmin will show you the way back if you mark the location of the hotel before you start.

The weather should be perfect for running.

If you want trails,  there should be some on Camelback Mountain.

evanflein

Oh I'll definitely be taking my Garmin! I'm not sure where we're staying, haven't looked it up yet, but I'm sure there will be places to run. I don't think it's "right" in town. This is the same conference I went to last year, although it was in Henderson NV, and managed to find lots of good running just in the neighborhoods around there. The schedule looks to be good enough with sessions starting most days at 9.

4.5 miles at lunchtime. Boring treadmill run, but managed to mix it up a bit in mile 4 by throwing in five 1-minute bits at 7:53 pace. Helped to pass the time.

Bugs

I'm back... well healthy anyway. 4 on TM tonight... little bit of full tummy issues. This kitchen remodel diet has to stop. Way, way too much take out.

Bugs

Lou, I'm not so sure about Boston either. Maybe we'll jog it in together.

That'd be fun, but I'd worry I'd be too slow for you -- your training is going well and I think you're going to do better than you're letting on.

The other day, I was thinking about running with Harriet during Boston, but at that moment my adductor started becoming noticeable and I was already running slower than I believe she'll run.

I'd have to switch waves, too (probably), and I may need the extra time the first wave will give me Smile