Marathon Trainers

Monday March 23 Runs and stuff (Read 677 times)

Renee the dog

p.s. nono... is that the marathon we talked about running with Jdmom? (er, should I say, behind her? me, being way behind. )
    Yes, that's the one! How can we resist 4 beer tickets??!! P.S. back Wink -- turn to page 184.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

I am still so excited about Tramps' BQ...Big grin Cool also excited about eliz's decision to run a marathon... and delighted that the woody lady aka MaEcono has joined us here. See who kept me company...8 miles today with 4x 20 sec striders ...ran this today because I had the time and will not tomorrow...

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Getting caught up on Sunday’s posts too…. Holly—solid 20 yesterday, despite the GI issues. Mari—that’s a great pic of you and DH; you both look ready for some serious action! Enke—I always thought “sprinkles” were lighter and more intermittent than “drizzle.” Where’s TB when you need him. Eliz—congrats on the marathon plan! That’s exciting and it’ll be fun to watch your progress.
        drizzle is much better on donuts than sprinkles, trust me on this, I'm a COP Big grin
        Great line, Sarge! dg—good to hear you’re seeing progress from PT Larry—good effort yesterday; you were probably right to back off if it didn’t feel right today. maine—smokin’ 18 there! wildchild—waffles and ice cream cake. Yum. I’m comin’ out to see you my next birthday. Aamos—“note”? Via personal e-mail? I didn’t get it. Slo-hand—good lookin’ crew there. The back-to-back girls look tough! Tim—it’s pretty amazing that you’re already back to 50-mile weeks after all that time off. Keep a close eye on it though; you don’t want to do too much too soon. Karl—congrats on that race! Glad to hear you finished injury-free. Jlynne—I assume all those numbers refer to treadmill speeds; I don't speak treadmill. Nono—don’t keep us in suspense…what are the 4 bullet points?! Waiting anxiously for lottery results for Mt. Washington this week. I’ve been left out in the cold two years in a row so I’m hoping third time’s the charm. This would just be a homecoming “fun” race for me; I grew up about 15 miles away. 4-miles today feeling good. This will be an all-easy mileage week for me. It’s kind of nice to just lollygag for a few miles and know this is what I'm supposed to be doing. Lou's camera takes amazing pictures, doesn't it? Look at the clarity in this shot of DC Mayor Fenty.

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

Yes, that's the one! How can we resist 4 beer tickets??!! P.S. back Wink -- turn to page 184.
          you're right. it's perfect. We can't!! Have you registered?? It's open. oh, my. ok. advice. I'm not sure if it's because it's spring or because it's sunny, but I'm thinking about signing ze papers. Is it stupid to do that berfore I get through #1, or at least partway through the training? Signing up for a marathon is almost as fun as getting a puppy. hmmm.. Eliz, congratulations! Tramps, thanks. Smile Way to break the Mayor's heart... Mariposai, how was your dancing gala? What a lovely picture.

Renee the dog

Oh I'll totally sign up today dg! All depends on your personality-type though. I LOVE having stuff on my schedule to aim for, and Mr Nono is totally into this trip, so he'll murder me if I don't sign up during the discount period (assuming there is one!). Tramps, sorry -- didn't mean to tease. It's just a bit of a type out -- here you go: * If you are currently uninjured, do not have a significant injury history, and like your current running shoes, keep using them. *If you are currently injured, have a significant injury history, or do not like your current running shoes for any reason, consider buying a pair fo minimalist running shoes and wearing them once a week for a short run. *If you find the minimalist shoes comfortable and tehy don't cause any problems, consider increasing the number of runs you wear them for, one by one. Don't feel compelled to wear them for every run or even for more than one run per week. Any amount of time you spend in them will likely reduce your injury risk. *If you do not like the feel of the minimalist shoes or if wearing them does not seem to reduce your injury risk, you may need to consider going in the opposite direction: switching to a shoe with more cushioning and/or more stability, and possibly having a sports podiatrist fit you for prescription orthodics.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

'm thinking about signing ze papers. Signing up for a marathon is almost as fun as getting a puppy.
              Deb: !!!!! Are you doing Dexter-AA by any chance this year? I'm thinking of doing it again, but only if some of the AA crew will be there. Went for the first run of the season on the Paint Creek Trail with what's becoming my regular small running group (2 gals and 2 guys this morning). Intended to do 6 with maybe stretching it to 8, but the conditions and conversation were so good that I did the full 10 miles -- my longest run in quite a while. When I got home and told my DW that I'd gone 10 miles, she asked how long it takes to run that far, like maybe "an hour and a half". I answered "1:37:20" which made her laugh as she said she should have known that if you asked a runner a question like that, they'd answer right to the second. Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

SLO, the picture is great but your captioning could use some help. I can see who your mom is, but don't understand either side of your mom and oldest boy. Which two are your girls and which is your boy? Great pic. Karl, well done. Tim, to be at 50 now and no aches or pains is great progress, and you yourself stated the reason why. Miles before speed. That's the way to do it. 3.8 very slow recovery today, followed by full flexibility and core work at the Y. Spareribs
                  I would like to respond in general but I am way too jet lagged to do much of anything right now. We were scheduled for the 10pm red eye from Las Vegas to Newark. It left nearly 2 hours late due to high winds in Vegas which basically delayed everything. So I am pretty much a zombie right now. On the good news side my DW and I won another $90 yesterday! Alas, I think I better keep my day job as the hourly pay rate for playing craps does not seem all that high. Big grin Yesterday I also went up the rock climbing wall at the hotel. It was a lot of fun! I am afraid of heights so my first climb was a bit unnerving. But then I got used to it and managed a total of 5 scampers up the wall in an hour. Well really 4. On the last one had it not been for the good woman holding the rope at the bottom I would have fallen off and landed a long way down! But she held on, and I managed to get to get a grip so to speak, and finish the climb to the top. breger1 I just wanted to chime in that 20 miles at just a tad over MP pace is pretty good! It does not just sound that way! Very impressive run. CNYrunner good luck at the NYC Marathon! I am sure you will have a great time. Tramps where can I get me one of those new cameras that take pictures of people's thoughts? Clowning around

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #3309

Ribs, I have finally learned that easy pace miles is good right now. Heck, I don't hurt anywhere and don't even think about my AT anymore....and I am closely listening to how my body feels as I don't want to be injured again. But will admit, I have never had the same injury twice, as I do learn from them. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Some really great runs and races this weekend. You all are my motivation. It was an airline trail weekend for me - 21 miles on Saturday (1:24 out; 1:27 back - just wasn't feeling it). Sunday, I walked Lucy (the dog) for 6 miles, while the PBJsters rode their bikes. Long-suffering was preparing our niece's tax return for her. Today was fizzy lifting, spin cycling, and 25 minutes of stepperfication. My new running shoes are so stinky that even Lysol can't get rid of the swodor (sweaty odor). Yikes! Tomorrow, I run again.
                        dg - love the Larsen cartoon - I really miss the daily Far Side chuckles. Wish he would come out of retirement. Looks like this week is at least starting with positive vibes. Last week was so low, so this feels much better. Thanks for asking! The wind was horrendous - almost made me skip the noon core/weights session as I walked out the door to head for the gym. I did see daffodils and crocus blooming, and the resident turkey hen was having some lunch, so the walk in the cold wind was well worth the effort.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

dg.

Deb: !!!!! Are you doing Dexter-AA by any chance this year? I'm thinking of doing it again, but only if some of the AA crew will be there. Went for the first run of the season on the Paint Creek Trail with what's becoming my regular small running group (2 gals and 2 guys this morning). Intended to do 6 with maybe stretching it to 8, but the conditions and conversation were so good that I did the full 10 miles -- my longest run in quite a while. When I got home and told my DW that I'd gone 10 miles, she asked how long it takes to run that far, like maybe "an hour and a half". I answered "1:37:20" which made her laugh as she said she should have known that if you asked a runner a question like that, they'd answer right to the second. Big grin
                          Doug... ze papers I was referring to are for the Shamrock full in Virginia Beach next March. However!!! ok. I'll do it, just for you. Saying this quickly before the mood disappears. What do you think you'll run? I'm signed up for a full in October,, well, that doesn't even matter, I wouldn't be ready for a full in May anyway. I could run either the 10K or the half, probably. I'll bring a bag to put over my head while running the gauntlet at the end. Shocked Cool Nice you had such a nice 10 miler, all is well? Very funny about the time. I get the same reaction when I report my distance.. Sue, I'm glad you liked it... I miss Larson too. And it seemed so fitting. I'm glad this week is starting out better. (((()))) Twocat, I'm glad you didn't fall.
                            dg, that picture made me LOL. Slohand, nice family, I like corn stalks in the background too! Tramps, that guy doesn't look like a mayor, maybe he is a mayor-double. Not fair that he got to be number "1" for the race, eh? Boy, everyone is sure chipper today, and it's not even close to Friday. I was really stupid....I am still getting over this flu, I can tell...wasn't that hungry yesterday, woke up today pretty out of it and didn't feel like running. Went to the gym anyway to see what I felt like doing. My warmup mile went ok, HR was good so I decided everything was fine. I was pretty bored already after only one mile so I decided to do the next two miles fast and then maybe switch to some other kind of cross-training. Well, I did those miles mostly at 7.0mph, but I also threw in some time at 8.0mph and even (since I was feeling kind of rockstarish) a little bit at 8.5mph, which I have never done before. I was concentrating on form and having a great time. Did a half mile cool down jog/walk, then I suddenly realize I don't feel so well......anyway, nothing dire happened but I did subsequently spend a long time in the changeroom hiding out in the bathroom waiting to puke. Really stupid. I like that book you all are talking about. "Brain Training for Runners" by Matt Fitzgerald. It's the only running book I've ever bought, after reading dozens from the library. I like his core workouts, not that I ever do them, and also his general approach of practising race paces to wire them into your head and build confidence. I ignore the complicated interval workouts but like the simple tempos at either 10K or HM pace. Oh, and I really like his proprioceptive cue drills.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild, happy birthday to your daughter. SLO, that's neat that you got to run with your sister. She's starting out well. Also, nice picture of "the kids". divedoc, nice speedy marathon. Aamos, good job on the 5K with your husband. Nice long runs for maine, wildchild, Aamos (with DH), SLO, bike (and good job on the 50 mile week), sue, roch (longest in quite a while), and PBJ. This morning, it was in the mid 20s with a little wind. I got in 6 miles in a bit under 59:30 for a 9:53 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                                What do you think you'll run? I'm signed up for a full in October,, well, that doesn't even matter, I wouldn't be ready for a full in May anyway. I could run either the 10K or the half, probably.
                                The "main event" is the half-M, and that's what I'll be doing. Hmmm... Something good must be happening if you're talking about signing up for all these runs. I'm sure you'll do well. Have you been running some of the shorter runs in AA recently?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"