Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/11/11 (Read 243 times)

Great Report Paul!

MTA: You gotta good looking family!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

Great report Paul. My cousins, who live there, told me the Bridge Run is fun , but crowded. That can be frustrating. I ran Tuesday with The Girls on the Run team. We ran laps around the school, which was fun. I made each girl race me to the finish, which meant I went back and forth and got a little speed work in. No run yesterday, unintentional day off; rain skeered me. Even though, I know I don't melt. Heading out right now for 5 miles. Have a good one team!
      theyapper

On the road again...

Didn't realize I hadn't posted since Monday. I guess our Boston peeps are getting excited/nervous/tired of checking weather conditions every hour.  Everyone will do great!

Tues I did an hour run with 3 miles of speed work in the middle, and this morning I got in a bit over 7 miles.  Shaping up to be a nice running week, and my legs felt great this morning.  Haven't felt that good in a few weeks.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Great Report Paul!

MTA: You gotta good looking family!

Thanks.  I'm blessed that I have kids who look like their Mom.

Paul

love the race reports.

augh, I've been too busy trying to get stuff done and ready for our trip to do any but the minimum reading around here.  I'll try to check out Paul's race report a bit later

This mornings run had 2 embedded @ MP.  Well one of them was too fast -- some trouble locking in the pace, I guess.

7.1 miles, 58:17, 8:10/mi, AHR 148 (72% MHR)

2@8:14(148), 2@7:53(151), 3.14@8:18(146)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

haha you're too funny.  Too busy to read?  It's because of the amount of miles you're doing!

Right now I'm worrying about every consequetive (sp?) sneeze and playing 'what's that twinge?' with my knee. 

7 miles easy. Can't believe how good it felt considering my tempo yesterday. 

GORGEOUS DAY!!!

Good luck to all that are going to Boston this year! Looks to be good weather!

LOL Aussie gotta love taper madness

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Sounds like AussieGirl's taper is going according to plan.

Paul, just read your race report, congrats on the PR! If you really want to see how fast you can run, you might try to find one with a bit smaller crowd. And maybe not with a bridge in the first half. Just sayin'. I think you can do sub-50 on a good course with smaller crowds, easily. Was that race not chip timed? (noticed your Garmin time was faster than "official" time, usually indicates no chips)

Nice run, Lou. If you figure out the secret to locking in pace, let me know.

Pam, I'm sometimes surprised by how good a run can feel after a tempo run the day before. I ran 5.5 on the (newly repaired and wonderful) treadmill on Tuesday. It was just too cold and windy to deal with an outdoor outing for a planned short run, and I wanted something that looked like speedwork. So I did 3 x .5 mile bits @ 7:30 pace, the rest was pretty much at 8:34 after a mile warmup. Good enough. I wanted to do 4 repeats, but by the third I was feeling that tightness and some pain in my chest so cut it short. Just taking forever to get over this crud with the chest congestion. It's been 4 weeks now... DH is on week 3 and DS2 is on week 1. Hey, at least we're making this a family affair.

Last night I braved the wind and chilly temps (windchill of about 17° brrrr!), and ran 11.3 miles in a couple of out-and-backs trying to mix it up so I wasn't in a headwind the whole time. Seemed to work, but I finished in a cold wind that chilled me down to the bone. But, after DH picked me up, we headed over the reindeer farm (right below my office building), and got a picture of one of the newborns!

And here's one of the adults we interrupted as he (she?) was finishing up dinner...

Aw what a cute little fawn (is that what you call them?)

Hopefully I can lock it in on Monday.  BTW, I can't tell you how nervous races make me.  I had a meeting at work just now and I was amazed that I could carry on a coherent conversation at all.

cute pics!

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul, just read your race report, congrats on the PR! If you really want to see how fast you can run, you might try to find one with a bit smaller crowd. And maybe not with a bridge in the first half. Just sayin'. I think you can do sub-50 on a good course with smaller crowds, easily. Was that race not chip timed? (noticed your Garmin time was faster than "official" time, usually indicates no chips)

Yes, I'll definitely find a smaller 10k, as well as some smaller local 5ks over the spring/summer.  Maybe I can even squeak out an AG placement.  The Bridge Run was more one of those "just to say I did it" races.

The race was chip timed and I was shocked that my Garmin time was a good 15 seconds off.  I've never been that far off from the chip time, and I was only slightly bummed because it pushed my official time back over 52 minutes.  But, no worries.

GO BOSTON RUNNERS!!!

Paul

Sometimes, even chip timed, they don't have a starting mat, which can add to the time. We're on Boston now trying to get something to eat.

Happy Camper

Good races this weekend everyone!  AG I hope this wind is gone by the time you hit the start line.  Regular life for me  this weekend.  Slept two hours longer than normal and now to get to some cleaning before running later this morning.  Cold and windy.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Thanks, p2r.

Normally I run 2 the day before a marathon, but decided to run 3 today instead of 2 tomorrow.  Today instead of tomorrow as tomorrow's forecast is for torrential rains, 3 instead of 2 because it is 2 days before.  It's all good.