Marathon Trainers

Got a better question for you guys (Read 127 times)

Cause I CAN

Peach wants to get faster in the 5K and do so by July...what or how do I go about doing this other than just run?
    Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
    http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
    Cashmason

Speed training can cause injuries, so build up to it, just don't start out with the hardest thing. Start out with Fartleks ( Swedish word for speed play. Bet you can't say that word without breaking out in a grin, or totally busting up any kids in the area.) Get warmed up first at your normal warm up pace. Then throw in some faster running for as long as you like 30 seconds or whatever, then cruise at your normal pace for a couple of minutes to bring your heart rate back down, then speed up again. It can be a flat out sprint for 10 seconds or just somewhat faster than normal for 30 seconds to a minute, then slow down again. Repeat as long as you like, then get in a good cool down and go home. Once you have done these for a couple of weeks, get thee to a track. Warm up as normal for a mile or two. Then get to a marked spot on the track. Run one lap as fast as you can. Slow jog or walk for two minutes. Repeat this 4 times. Cool down jog. Go home. Each succeeding week add one or two fast laps. Yes they are short workouts. They are supposed to be. Speed work is a hard work out. You don't want to get injured. Your long run is also considered a hard workout, no matter how fast you go ( and you want to do those at a comfortable talking pace, not fast.) Always have easy run days or rest days between hard days. No two hard days in a row. Don't do more than one speed day a week. Running hills will also make you stronger/faster. Atlanta has lots of hills nearby. Hills are also considered a hard day so take easy days after them too.

Cause I CAN

Sounds good but thought yall told me to stay off the track?
        Cashmason

You can do fartleks anywhere. You want two different things. Lower injury risk = stay off track. Run faster = track workouts = higher chance of injury. Its like I want to lose weight, but I want to eat an entire large meat lovers pizza, french fries, a large margarita and an entire cheesecake for desert.

Oh Mighty Wing

Cash you mean you can't lose weight eating like that?!?!?! Surprised That explains sooo much about my disagreement between my scale and my mouth!!
            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Make your log public - it's easier to give input when we can see what you're doing.

Cause I CAN

I dont have a log to make public....Smile
                evanflein

Sounds good but thought yall told me to stay off the track?
                  Peach, I'm the one who told you to get off the track, but that's because when you were training for your first marathon you said you did ALL your running on the track.... Need some variety in there! But for what Cash was talking about, doing it on a track is the best way to concentrate on speed and pace because it's measured, flat, no cars, rocks, etc. For your longer runs focusing on steady pace and miles, you need to be off the track. Shan, I know... that was a shocker for me, too. No wonder things haven't been going in the right direction on the scale! Big grin And Peach, how are you keeping track of your training without a log? Or is it just on paper?

Cause I CAN

On paper....I guess later, i can copy what i did this month here.

Cause I CAN

Ok this is what I did this month 3/1/08 - 5 miles 3/2/08 - 4 miles 3/3/08 - 5 miles 3/4/08 - 3 miles 3/5/08 - 2 miles 3/6/08 - 2 miles 3/7/08 - 2 miles 3/8/08 - rest day 3/9/08 - 1 mile 3/10/08 - 1 mile 3/11/08 - 5 miles 3/12/08 - rest day 3/13/08 - 3 miles 3/14/08 - 3 miles 3/15/08 - 3 miles 3/16/08 - 1 mile 3/17/08 - 3 miles 3/18/08 - 1 mile 3/19/08 - 3 miles 3/20/08 - 4 miles 3/21/08 - 2 miles 3/22/08 - 2 miles 3/23/08 - rest day 3/24/08 - rest day 3/25/08 - rest 3/26/08 - 4 miles 3/27/08 - 2 miles 3/28/08 - 2 miles 3/29/08 - 2 miles 3/30/08 - walked 4 miles, ran walked the last mile 3/31/08 - ??? probably 6 miles
                      evanflein

I think you need to start increasing your distances ever so gradually. Those 1 mile days should be outta there unless you're nursing/returning from an injury. Have you looked at some training plans like the Hal Higdon Novice plans? I used one of those for my first marathon and it's a nice controlled increase to the race over several weeks (18). If you haven't used one before, I'd suggest getting one to start you going. But first I think you need to increase your base... You should be able to consistently and comfortably run 25-30 miles per week before you start training. This will be key to avoiding injury and being overwhelmed by the program. (how come you were running more at the beginning of March than the end? what happened?)