Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/25 to 3/2 (Read 203 times)

Cashmason

Erika is in Arizona doing the Ragnar del Sol relay. I think 12 people 200 miles in 2 vans over 24 hours. Nothing like sitting in a van for 24 hours with 5 other stinky sweaty people. Since it's way above freezing, Erika may melt. 8 miles running today. Last mile was fast finish. Now my hamstrings are a bit sore, and I have a 32 mile bike ride up the steep canyon hills in 7 hours. Wheeeee !

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - that is good news that none of the old things are flaring up... sorry that new things are though! Cash - enjoy the bike ride!!

Happy Camper

Wow, what a day. Woke up at 2:00am and could not go to sleep. Gave up and went out for a 7-miler just before 5:00am and then it was rush the rest of the morning. We had our benefit 5k for the school this morning. We met at 7:00am to begin set up for the start at 9:00. It was just ideal. The course was on park paths and trail. The Honor Society Students were enthusiastic and fun to be around. We had 48 entrants for our first ever run. Great help from the Columbia Track Club and nice donations from several local businesses. Weather was 40° for the start. Not too bad to pay $20, have a good time, run an event, get a shirt, run for overall and age group awards and then be eligable for door prizes. We had water, fruit and powerbars post race as well. It was the first time for myself and DW as race directors. We had a very enjoyable time organizing thanks to help from some experienced members of the track club, great students and super businesses. We hope to be able to build on this for next year and keep the run on the calender. Go Erika and Dave! Hope you have great races this weekend!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cashmason

Boy Genius decided to do a fast finish to his run yesterday. Late last night the hamstrings were hurting so bailed on the canyon ride. Did get in a 6 mile ride late this afternoon. Hamstring pain is almost gone now, so thats good. G/f is doing the UCLA tri tomorrow. Have to be there at 5 45 am. Means leaving here at 4 30 am. Oh joy. Since she is getting her MBA she gets student pricing on it though, so half price for her. She hasn't been swimming or biking since this race last year. And hey she runs at least once a month.
          Travis Groom

Ooooh what a shitty, shitty week... Started out Sunday with a 28k run which wasn't planned well, so spent most of the run searching for kilometers...and a person that refused to run faster than a 7:00/k pace. (She only ran 26k, I ran an extra 2k running back to get her so she wouldn't be way behind.) Knee was a little tender after the run, took Monday off. Tuesday the wheels came off during the tempo run and my knee threw in the towel about 3k in. Finished the 6k but limped my way back to the store. Wednesday spent the better part of a half-hour having an argument with myself on if I was going to go run hills. Ended up taking the night off. Got in to see my massage therapist on Thursday to get tortured (it was bad enough my eyes were watering...) to find out that the tendons under my knee were a bit fucked. Friday, got in to see a friends physio guy who gave me the diagnosis of Patello Femoral pain. Got the green light to run, but said I'm probably going to be in quite a lot of pain at the end. Exercises, ice and foam roller twice daily and it should be getting better. Did a light warm up run for the race tomorrow tonight and it was alright. No real blinding pain to speak of, so looking at tomorrow with optimism. Tomorrow, the Hypothermic Half-Marathon. Going to run it cautiously and play it smart and see what happens. Funny part of all this, my coach is in Costa Rica and somehow heard of my knee problems and contacted me. Now, I didn't tell him because I didn't want him worrying about it in Costa Rica, yet some how he found out which was nice because he gave me some advice and support to push through all of it but I still want to know how he found out... He claims he has spies everywhere... Hope everyone else's week has been good!

Bugs

groov, Sorry about your lowsey week, I can relate. What did your coach advice? Does your massage therapist lift your knee cap up? Had that done on Tuesday and kind of freaked me out. Those deep massages make me feel so sore. Think my next one will just be an ordinary massage. Ah........Crap run today. Awesome weather, lovely road along the river through the woods. First few miles the run felt very high impact. Then I got a side stich, followed by a cramping colon. Chaffing in terrribly delicate places and 5 miles back to the car. Hot on the way out, freezing on the way back. By the end my shoulders were very tight, been struggling with back pain the last couple of days. (Think this is a work injury.) Hip was good right till the end. 10.5 slow miles, was hoping for 12 but will cut back gladly. I ended the run feeling like I ran 18, not 10. WTH? The good news is my legs feel less beat-up than last week because of the slower pace. I may go aqua jog tomorrow. I think the water may feel better on the joints.

Bugs

Travis Groom

Coach advised to get some ultrasound done on it. Once I told him what it actually was, he said run through it. Some painful IT band work ahead of me, but nothing that can stop me from running. Ran the Hypothermic Half Marathon today and did better than expected: 2:01:54 (ousting my Vegas time by 5 minutes.) Knee gave out around 10k, but pushed through it and made it to the end of the race without any horrible incident, so I made it. Now, to sleep the rest of the day.

Bugs

groov, Docs will do graston treatment on knee pain too. I would seriously consider trying it. Ask your coach about it.

Bugs

Beer Drinker

well i managed a slow 16.5 on saturday, which is ok considering my longest run in 08 was 10 miles. i felt great until 12 then the hip got a littel tight but i kept on. my legs didnt feel tired at all, i finished the day building a freekin retaining wall, which i did all day again today, legs still feel ok. damn hip hurts tho, and is clickin with every step. prolly gonna try to see the doc this week. hope you all had a great weekend!
                    Start off easy, then slow down.