Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/20 - Boston (Read 345 times)

Dave

Thanks, Kimmie. It was great to see Jeremy, Mishka, and rvelich at the race. I'm sort of dumbfounded that my time was good enough for an AG placement. Never even occurred to me to stick around for the awards.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Just rolled into my house after an 8 hour drive.
      After a hot marathon, too. Okay, we'll give you a day to get your report ready. Big grin Congrats on a great race, Dave.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This running a marathon and then driving for many hours -- I dunno, you people are crazy... Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Ok Kimmie, gotta share with you that we all felt really pumped and ready to go after our relay. We called it the "relay magic" effect. But our team leader kept cautioning us that we were actually very prone to injury in that post-relay phase and to be careful... So, words for the wise here. Take it easy for a few days! Amazing heat some of you are having. 90's? Wow... we actually hit low-60's today which felt heavenly. Sure wish I could go run in it. Yes, Bugs, I've already cleaned my bathroom, gone through piles of magazines for donation to the hospital, straightened out my closet, got caught up on laundry, checkbooks, filing and cleaned out the fridge. So... now I'm going to continue some of that (more papers to go through) and yes I think this downtime will be good for me in a lot of ways. I think I'll go through the garage next weekend... 35 minutes on the elliptical today, 4.25 miles according to the readout. Think I'll try some pool running tomorrow. I can see where this will get old real soon.
          Cashmason

Great Race Dave... and Kimmie ! Hey Lou, go start the new week's thread.... wink.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Hey, how do you do pool running? I mean, do you just float and run your legs - a bit like treading? Doesn't that feel weird not touching the ground as you run?

evanflein

That's the beauty of it, Perry! No impact but mimics the action of running. It's been called the best rehab workout for runners ever created. You wear a flotation belt, specially designed for this, to keep your head and neck above the water. Then, you just run. Not the exact same motion, but you can increase your tempo, decrease to easy, and get a pretty good workout in. Or, you can just lollygag along if that's what you feel like doing. Can be boooooring... but definitely good for you. I did the pool running thing for three weeks before NYC Marathon, and did ok. It's not exactly like running, and I'd probably have done better if I'd actually ran, but I still BQ'd coming off foot injury, so that's not all bad. Here's more info: http://askcoachjenny.runnersworld.com/2007/09/happy-trails--1.html
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Makes me want to try it. But that would be a bit silly, as if I'm at the pool, I ought to be swimming -- I don't do nearly as much swimming I should... Even though I do like it.