Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/28-2/4 (Read 367 times)

Cashmason

Not unless I tie my shoelaces to yours Erika.

Bugs

Groov, You are hardcore. You had me laughing and thinking, "I agree he is crazy" but the kind of crazy I like. P2R, Good work at the 5K. Great job on the weight loss. You never mentioned how the M&M's worked for your run. Cash, Enjoy the rain, pretend your 10 years old and loving it. Did I miss, how did the 5 PB sandwich guy do? Erika, You are going to wear out that TM. Smile Been reading Running From Within and it suggests you meditate before your run, and are not allowed to think a single negative thought during the run. The book talks about not just focusing on the goal, but "enjoying the journey" as a warrior. 10 miles today but did not manage to come up with my indian name. Am I Flying Eagle? Maybe Runs like a Deer? I have to say all this relaxation really relaxes the esphogus. so today sadly I was, Squat and Poop. Big grin Seriously, happy to report my longest run since August.

Bugs

Cashmason

Yay for the longest run Bugs. The 5 pbj guy, never got his name or race number so no clue.

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - you know i'm not sure that Squat and Poop really means the same to me as it does to you Tongue... but way to go on the 10 miles!!!!!!!!!!

Bugs

Snowing like crazy here, sure schools will close any minute. Legs feel pleasantly sore. Ankle feels fine. I have managed to keep my miles steady for four weeks. Think I get to up my miles this week. Cool ShanGen, I was going to tell you, I was dogging it at about 4.5 miles yesterday, stopped and drank, felt good there after. Should have drank sooner. Carrying fluids is a necessary PITA.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

bugs - Yea it sounds like it! We made water stops at water fountains and at the car. What an awful 4. Had to walk a good bit because my joints were pretty ticked off. Hopefully tomorrow will go better! I will take it slower and slog along at my own pace. The girl who ran with me was having a very frustrated run and so the running parts were faster than i wanted. I probably could have been fine if I just slowed way way down. But hard to do that when you are discussing frustrating things you know!!! Anyway tomorrow I will take it slow and easy. Hopefully if I have a less f-the world sorta day it will help my run be smoother!

Bugs

ShanGen, Sorry you had a rough run. You had a pretty big mileage jump last week, maybe too much? Cash, Reading your post reminded me...Once I went on an 80 mile bike ride in the sun with only 1 bottle of water (silly girl). I got sunburned (no lotion), rained on (no jacket), crashed once (mud puddel), and just got back to town, and hit the wall, had to walk my bike two miles home. Rode by the mall and thought, "You silly shoppers waisting a great Saturday." Erika, You should consider running the Twin Cities Marathon! Sign-up is in May. Assuming I'm injury free then (and I should be) I want revenge from last year.

Bugs

Travis Groom

Cash - Hah! I just have this image of someone running back and forth for a while. I hate making up milage somehow but the looks must have been priceless. I always enjoy the looks we get after our long, Sunday runs and we stroll into restaurants for breakfast in our running gear. Most paces just know us now and bring us pitchers of water. Bugs - Crazy is relative. Some people drink. Some people make teddy bears. Others run in bitterly cold temps! To each their own right? I find that most runner understand the level of crazy, while others just don't seem to get it. My run today was the boring, ole' 30 minute light run. 5.05k. Nothing exciting. This week starts hill training, which I am being pulled off of (yay!) to be put in bounding because apparently my friend/trainer hates me and wants to see me in pain (or has high hopes for me.) Either way, I am oddly excited about it. Has anyone ever tried bounding? Not sure what I am going into here. I've been told it's like getting punched in the gut and then being told to run hills. 11.5 lbs from my May 4th weight goal. Bringing my grand total weight loss to 143.5 lbs.

Happy Camper

Hey Bugs: Ever consider Des Moines on 10/19? Only $55.00 with entry before 4/16. I'm looking at it as a possible attempt to join the maniacs. If I can get two in September I could add this for October. It's only a 4 and 1/2 hour drive for me.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Bugs

Groove, Nobody undestands a runner like a runner. My co-workers think I'm nuts for running on my lunch hour, using my vacation to run long, saying no to birthday cake because it will slow my 5K time, but you guys understand! P2R, I like the idea of not having to register to early. How many runners in that race? I think Quad Cities would be a nicer route, but that is in September, not so good for you. Both my marathons were in MN, would be nice to get one from a different city. TCM, is awesome though. Nice rolling hills, scenic, great shirt, nice metal...really an awesome race. Have to stew on this for awhile.

Bugs

Happy Camper

Over 1,400 finishers at Des Moines in 2007. http://www.desmoinesmarathon.com/Results___Photos.htm Quad Cities would involve some hills. The river front would be fast and flat. The loop into Bettendorf would be a steep climb. It is a great area. I lived there in the late 80's early 90's and still keep in touch with some people there. A little longer of a drive but DW could be more persuaded if she could see some old friends.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cashmason

Agree, non runners just don't get why we do what we do. Groov Congrats on the weight loss. That's Fantastic! When you get to your goal weight, remember that you can't go back to what you did when you were heavy. Allow yourself a cheat meal once a week, so you dont get cravings, but the other 20 meals a week do what you are doing now. 17 mile recovery bike ride after yesterdays run in the rain. Actually hurt a lot less this time than last month and I ran faster this time. But the course was flatter.
                          Travis Groom

Bugs - I don't have the problem with the cake anymore. Mine is the Guinness! (It's the Irish in me...) Me and my coach go out to much and basically we have 4 more weeks that we're allowed to drink, then it's dry season until after May. Cash - Thanks. It's been a long, hard road that I am grateful I did. One day, just decided I was tired of being fat and hired a personal trainer. That was 2 years ago. Now I can't imagine being that person anymore. I started running in March 2007 because of a horrible plateau and wanted something different. Now, I've been bitten by the running bug and by the time I am 35 (5 years, I want to qualify for Boston.) I am very lucky to have quite the support system in what was my coach, now my friend. He's an amazing runner with so much knowledge, and what he doesn't know, he talks to his coach, who happens to be the second fastest man in Canada with a 2:20 marathon in Toronto. Seeing Matt run (my coach's coach) every Saturday morning is inspiring enough to make you just want to push harder (and he has no ego, which is always nice...) My goal weight is tricky. I have a consultation with a plastic surgeon in March to get carved up like a Christmas turkey (which sounds like so much fun...20 lbs of skin removed...blech...pain!) But it's all for the better.