Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-16 (Read 305 times)

Cashmason

When I read it, I thought something other than running was making the husband late for work. Mr I. that's some pretty intense mileage if your name isnt Pam, Erika, or Lou. Running all those miles, even at a slow pace can lead to injury if your body isnt used to it. For most people, anything over 50 miles a week = injury, unless you have built up to it slowly over a long time. Shan can get away with stuff because she is young and 140 pounds.

Hail to The Victors!

sweet - time with wife/kids is always good!! Jhall - what do you mean how did I manage to pull that off?? Tongue
      A half, the week after a full, AND PR? I think after that feat of awesomeness, that question is totally realistic. I had to read your facebook entry three times to comprehend that you did it. It is something to be very proud of.

Oh Mighty Wing

hahaha oh ok well yeah it is a reasonable question!
          Hey Cash, I think you were replying to me and not Mr I--anyhow the words of warning would still apply. I really am going to watch my pace and keep the miles slow. In my running "career" I have been very fortunate and any injuries have been minor and have not prevented me from running. If all goes well this month and 1/2, I will be able to work on my pace for the fall marathon(s) 4 miles tonight in about 42 minutes. Going to attempt to get 3 in tomorrow am. The key to my plan is my ability to wake up early.

Happy Camper

Chin ups and 6-miles this morning. 57:51 with AVG HR at 141 bpm. 24-miles on the road bike after work. AVG HR 145. Man am I saddle sore. This evening was too nice not to get out. I hope the weather allows for more evening rides. I'm about 1 month earlier this year getting the bike out and I hope to keep it up. Dave & Kimmie: My team for the American Odyssey Relay is Butt Sweat and Beers.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Kimmie

Dave & Kimmie: My team for the American Odyssey Relay is Butt Sweat and Beers.
              This is hilarious... we still haven't come up with a name for our team. I'm thinking of posting in the main forums question re: advice for training for a relay like this... Cash, what are you thinking? Smile Some good workouts going on here. OK, to recap for me... yesterday I climbed for 30 minutes at a pretty decent pace- 105 floors on a stair climber. This morning I wake up early for the first time in awhile and run 5 miles of pretty intense hills. This afternoon, I took a Body Pump class- pretty much 65 minutes of intense weight lifting. Yea, I'm kind of trashed tonight. AND , I think I have a race on Saturday.
              Cashmason

for training for a relay like this... Cash, what are you thinking? Smile I am thinking there is a reason for the lovely smile in your avatar Wink Half hour of weights, then taught indoor cycle for an hour, then half hour run ave 8:12 last mile at 7:53
                  'morning. Short intervals this morning due to half planned for Saturday. 5x600m 8.1 miles, 1:04:23, 7:56/mi, AHR 156 workout average 6:37(168) 2:27(164) [0.37=6:37] 2:29(170) [0.37=6:43] 2:28(166) [0.37=6:40] 2:28(166) [0.37=6:41] 2:22(172) [0.37=6:25]

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Oh Mighty Wing

4 miles this am. Wanted 5 but realized on my run I needed to buy eggs before school for an experiment we are doing today.
                    Kimmie

Oh that's funny Cash. That picture kind of bugs me, because I do think it's a good picture of me, but it's not much of a running picture, is it? I think I will get something cool like Shan or WRFB.... just not that creative. And you're amazing that you can regularly have such intense workouts. I am sore today from the one million squats I did yesterday. fun stuff.

Bugs

For most people, anything over 50 miles a week = injury, unless you have built up to it slowly over a long time.
                        It depends how you splt them up and how many miles are fast. I ran 50 miles last week but ran everyday. Much harder weeks when I ran just five days and one day was a 20 mile run. I feel very injury resilent after three years of consistant miles. MTA: I don't think I could have ever done what Shan did. Maybe the marathon and the half last fall, but then I would have been done. Now four more big races, yikes. She's a risk taker, nothing wrong with that. SHORT WEATHER HAS ARRIVED IN MN!! You guys probably been in shorts the last three months but my white chicken legs finally are seeing the sun. Sorry Erika.

Bugs

Dave

I'll add my own .02 on the big training ramp. I've struggled to get over 50 miles per week. Partially because of my job. Partially because I tend to want to run a bit faster on my miles. Partially because I have 40 year old joints and I've been running for 20 years. Getting north of 50 will be tricky and will probably not happen on your first attempt. Shan has 25 year old joints. And I'm fairly certain she smokes joints too to dull the pain Big grin If you check her log, she's been running doubles to add miles and she runs them all easy. She also hasn't gotten much north of 50 yet either although I'm pretty certain she'll end up there. My upcoming move has taken on new focus as we've listed our home for sale/rent on a site that caters to military people. Within 12 hours we had 4 inquiries so that is good news but it does make the move all the more real.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Holy cow - you guys were talking about me and I didn't even know!!! My body is proving it can handle it, but I don't think I'm the norm. My body likes the mileage. I feel better running more than I do when I ran less. Really, just blame it on me being young. The difference between what I'm doing with my mileage and what other do with theirs is that I do NO speedwork and no speedy running of any kind - other than races - which is something I'm trying - I don't know how it will go. And yes it's mostly doubles because that's how time works for me. All I do is run whatever I want whenever I want. I run slow easy miles and worry about nothing else. I do it knowing I may hurt myself. So far so good - we'll see how it handles the next couple of weeks. MTA: and yes I plan on jumping north of 50 over the next week or so.
                              Yeah, I think I'll be ok with the mileage buildup=slow miles. Getting up early and running in the morning is going to be the tough part--but I think doubles are probably the most likely way for me to get a good base quickly and safely. Considering joining the gym by work to get my doubles in at lunch. My longest early run is five miles, most are 3 milers..so Id have time to get them in. Depends on if Im able to start waking up early. Shan, have you set a new time goal for the National 1/2? What kinda goals do you have in mind for your upcoming marathons? Bugs, why'd you hide your log? MTA: Shan, I think we all feel better when we run--to a point. Last week, I was starting to feel downright awful..and that was my kick in the butt. That, and I want to look thin when I have the first pictures with the baby. Weird, I know..but hey, whatever works. I have slipped under 200 as of this morning. About 20 more lbs to go.

Oh Mighty Wing

Shan, have you set a new time goal for the National 1/2? What kinda goals do you have in mind for your upcoming marathons?
                                I love doubles - I'm hoping to hit them every day this week - unless I take a day off, but otherwise... doubles. National - I'm not sure yet - it just depends on how recovered I feel. And for the marathons - well i'm not really planning them either. I'd like do well with Ocean Drive and then survive the next 2 as I think they will be challenging and trail-esq.