Marathon Trainers

Week of 3-16 (Read 305 times)

May as well ad my 2 cents in. I'm doing my highest milage right now (maybe not week wise all the time however month wise) and at the moment I'm feeling AWESOME. I've never added speed work unless I've been at the milage for awhile and know my body can handle it. I think the key thing is keeping things easy, eating enough to support your training and getting enough rest! Right now i'm working on upping each daily run (trying to keep doubles to a minimum) so speed work will probably be out for another 2 weeks or so.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Oh Mighty Wing

Murphy - you were crazy long before I was. You do what you do, just be careful! I'm glad you are back to it!
        9 miles in the books. Will probably get out for another 5-6 miles after relaxing for a few, lunch and catching up on some chores Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Well, let me add my .02 worth about the high mileage... Ya'll are crazy!! Shocked AND VERY MOTIVATING!!!! Thanks for letting me hang out with you.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

TY no thanks necessary - these guys have been letting me hang out since I ran almost 3mi 3x a week - sometimes more, mostly less... so really you fit right in far beyond what I use to!! MTA: and we like you a whole bunch too!!! Big grin
              LOL They! I think I was MORE crazy before I ever started running then I am now Wink A nice enjoyable easy 10k in the books. ALMOST kept going however I had to play it smart since I have a hilly ten miler tomorrow. LOVE this weather!

theyapper

On the road again...

Just got back from a very nice, very slow 5.6 miles. Now to settle in for the night and enjoy The Biggest Loser. Have a great evening, all!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dave

Just under 4 easy miles for me after work. I really needed that. I'm struggling to run all easy miles since my volume is so low right now. So I've been running short but close to MP. I'll go easier Wed and Th (maybe some striders) and then a rest day on Friday.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

Dave - you should rest on thursday and run easy on friday. Just my 0.02, not that I have many sense. Ran another 5 this afternoon, picked up and tried my bike, and contemplated a 3rd run.
                    evanflein

Well, I think you all are crazy. 'Cept maybe Lou and Bugs. Wink But that just makes you more fun to hang out with. I've never done more than 58 miles in a week so far. I don't think my almost-50 joints could handle it. Nor would my family tolerate it, I suspect. Hard to keep up with you guys. This used to be such a sleepy little weekly thread. This is fun, but more time consuming to catch up with! Got in 10.24 miles on the treadmill on Sunday evening in a terribly overheated fitness room here at the Marriott. Why the hell they keep workout rooms so hot is beyond me. I think I drank over a quart of water during this run. 2.5 hot recovery miles monday morning. 10.1 miles this morning on a nice route along the waterfront. I'm guessing at time because my Garmin died one mile into this run. I left the hotel at about 7:35, got back at 9:05 but I guess it doesn't matter. A good workout, a couple of walk breaks and stops to check map and beautiful views. It was fun watching the Golden Gate Bridge emerge from the fog and then hide again. Wish I had more time, I'd love to do this run again! I checked my distance on MapMyRun.com... and later went back to check it again and made an adjustment. I don't think I made it all the way to McDowell Ave, but Halleck St looks familiar, so I think that's where I turned around. So, using their calculations it came to 10.1 miles, for 8:55 pace, which given all the stops I made for texting DH, checking the map and admiring the scenery sounds about right. (Yes, DH texted me a couple times to see what I was up to and ask if we had anymore kitchen garbage bags... Roll eyes )

Oh Mighty Wing

Erika - that sounds gorgeous and like a great time!!

Hail to The Victors!

Got 9 in this afternoon, did some trails around Ann Arbor. Kind of nice to get off of the roads a bit, but everything was a little mushier than I like. Wanted to do 10, but I had to get back for a meeting.
                            6 miles tonight...Ran 5, and caught up to the mommy-to-be with a mile left, so I walked in with her. Ran intentionally slow. Felt good. Round 2 of trying to wake up early and getting some miles in tomorrow morning. Will try to get to sleep earlier to accomplish this.
                            Cashmason

Erika, they keep the work out rooms warm, because most people walk on the treadmills, or do one set of ten on the weight machine, then wait five minutes before the next set, both people reading magazines while they "work out". Note I said 50 miles per week was tough EXCEPT FOR PEOPLE WHO HAD BUILT UP TO THAT DISTANCE OVER TIME ! That would mean people like Pam and Bugs who have been running for a few years and were used to 25 + miles a week and then went to 30 35 and 40 mile weeks. Plus they have relatively low body weights. Heavyweights like me at 172 going from 20 mile weeks to 50 mile weeks next month are the guys that get hurt. Even doing doubles at a slow pace. And its not the first or even second 50 mile week that bites you. For me it was about the 6th 50 mile week that the IT band / hip started to hurt. And I was doing doubles at a slow pace. I had just gotten off the couch a few months before, and had no plans of training for a marathon.... until we decided to go on vacation to Greece about the same time they were running the Athens Marathon. How often is a guy gonna get a chance to run the original marathon. And since I am a major ancient history buff, this meant something to me. So I had to ramp up the miles too quickly.

Oh Mighty Wing

so, Cash, what you are saying is don't look to my log for ways to train?? Tongue