Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/19 (and 2 days late) (Read 191 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Apparently we all got swept up in Boston mania and forgot to start a thread for the week.  Anyway, here it is, 2 days late, but better late than never.

Ran an easy 1:30:00 run today.  Cool temps - around 57F - and a bit overcast.  Hope our Boston peeps are recovering well.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Well I'm still having issue's. Went out for a recovery run. The first 4 miles didn't feel all that bad just sluggish though I did have a headache. However at the end of the 4th mile my chest started hurting and stomach started having the full heavy feeling. I stopped at 5 and I now have a tummy ache with a sore chest and I feel like crap. *sigh*  I know I should take the next week completely off however I'm going to have a hard time not feeling the urge to test things out and see if things are better. I SUCK with being patient. My next race is in 4 weeks. If it lands on the same day of my cycle as Boston did I won't be running it

Hope everyone is having a great hump day!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Here's a spreadsheet that my Dh made of my 5k splits *ughhhhhhhhh*

<col width="64" style="width: 48pt;" /> <col width="50" style="width: 38pt;" /> <col width="57" style="width: 43pt;" /> <col width="78" style="width: 59pt;" /> <col width="102" style="width: 77pt;" /> <col width="106" style="width: 80pt;" /> <col width="114" style="width: 86pt;" /> Split Km Mile Time Avg Pace Avg pace since last split projected time 5K 5 3.11 0:26:39 0:08:35 0:08:35 3:44:56 10K 10 6.21 0:54:09 0:08:43 0:08:51 3:48:31 15K 15 9.32 1:22:14 0:08:49 0:09:02 3:51:21 20K 20 12.43 1:55:06 0:09:16 0:10:35 4:02:52 Half 21.098 13.11 2:01:26 0:09:16 0:09:17 4:02:54 25K 25 15.53 2:27:17 0:09:29 0:10:22 4:08:37 30K 30 18.64 3:06:03 0:09:59 0:12:29 4:21:43 35K 35 21.75 3:43:38 0:10:17 0:12:06 4:29:38 40K 40 24.85 4:18:42 0:10:25 0:11:17 4:32:56 Finish 42.195 26.22 4:31:16 0:10:21    

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Yikes, that looks like it was painful, Pam.  Try to rest up now, ok?

My 5 miler this morning was pain-free!  WTF?  Maybe I just needed three days off.  We'll see how it goes for the rest of the week, but there may be a glimmer of hope that my half on May 2 won't be a complete wash-out. 

I was telling someone that I felt ok on Monday, but it was a good thing I had given back my number already else I might have done something ill-advised.

Here are the pictures I took at the race -- the elites are in the beginning (duh), and then a bunch of the masters I know.  Erika was so fast all I got was the back of her head :^)

http://picasaweb.google.com/WillRunForBeer/BostonMarathon20100419#

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Look at that great smile by Harriet, and how happy she is. I thought marathons were hard work?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Pam, that's a good graphical depiction of a crash in progress. Be good to yourself and take it easy for a few days, ok? That's not a typical "ran out of gas bonk" you had there.

I love that smile on Harriet's face. I do think it's funny that Harriet, Holly and I had the same outfit: black tee, maniac singlet, black running skirt. We seem to have a theme going here.

I just got home this morning. What a long a$$ trip home that was. And the flights from Seattle to Anchorage last night and from Anchorage to Fairbanks this morning were both in those 737-400 "combi" planes, with the first half being cargo, and the second half being passenger seating. At least I had exit rows both of those so lots of leg space in front of me! Might try a recovery type run this evening, but I'm not sure what our schedule is later on. I feel so out of sync with everything!

Funny, the guys actually did a good job on the big stuff: laundry was caught up, dishes were done, no huge mess in the (already messy) living room. But the counters hadn't been wiped down since last week and same with the floors. Don't they notice all the spots, sticky stuff and crumbs everywhere?? At least they fed the cat.

Cashmason

Erika,

No we don't notice that stuff.

Great pics Lou.   Loved seeing Rosie with the big smile  when she ran with  Ralph the Rocket Scientist.

Looks like Ryan Hall's feet seldom touched the ground.

Most of the fast runners had their  knee at a 90 degree angle  during the swing phase, but very few butt kickers.

Cashmason

Pam,

I was keeping track of your splits in my head.    When I saw your pace slowing for almost each 5k,  I figured you had to be hurting.

You are in way too good a shape to slow like that,  if you are feeling good.

I always thought if I was going to crash and burn that I'd AT LEAST GET OFF THE GROUND lol. I posted something in the GSP and Ennay (met her at Boston and she knows a bit of how things were going before the marathon) and what she said made a lot of sense. I made quite a few mistakes before the marathon ones I don't plan on making again. That and circumstances beyond my control created help create the "perfect" crash lol

Anyway time for me to move on and work on getting my body healthy. I will be taking today off. Mentally I really really feel like running and don't want to take the day off HOWEVER I'm not looking to sabotage my next marathon race so I will do what it takes to make sure I don't have a repeat of Boston.

GREAT Pictures Lou!!!  I'm really disappointed in myself with not making sure to meet up with all the Blisters that were there.  

Hope everyone that ran Boston is recovering well! Hope to see some good running done by blisters this week. I'm looking forward to getting back to training for my next race.

theyapper

On the road again...

I really enjoyed the pictures, Lou, especially the elites.  I found myself breaking down their form a lot!  Pretty sure I don't look like that when I run.  I enjoyed seeing PDR, too.  She was having a great time!

A well-deserved rest day for me today, and good timing, too, as I have lots going on with work today.  Have a great Thursday, everyone.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

I really enjoyed the pictures, Lou, especially the elites.  I found myself breaking down their form a lot!  Pretty sure I don't look like that when I run.  I enjoyed seeing PDR, too.  She was having a great time!

A well-deserved rest day for me today, and good timing, too, as I have lots going on with work today.  Have a great Thursday, everyone.

Yes, I was surprised that PDR looked so good when she told me later that she wasn't feeling well.   I won't take offense, Lou, that you only got pictures of the back of my head.  Smile

Such an awesome weekend.   I just wrote a ridiculously long race report.  I just wanted to capture everything before I forgot.  I put it on the race report thread.  

Maybe you can read it when you have a spare hour.  Smile   

I just want to thank you guys so much for everything here.  This is a great community that has helped me so much!

Bugs

Kim,

That is very cool that you saw Lou.  Nice race report.

Went out last night, just couldn't go fast, though easy felt great. Decided to bail on the 5 a.m group run for some extra sleep & rest. Woke up with seriously sore arms. Think the arm weight lifting is hurting my running in the week. Guess I can't workout like an animal at noon. Damn, because it is doing wonders for my body.

Bugs

evanflein

Kimmie's race report is great! It was so fun to meet you, and "Mr. Kimmie" as he introduced himself. Funny guy.

Good job on the weights, Bugs, but it really shouldn't affect your running that much (unless you're doing leg stuff?). Maybe back off the weight a bit? I need to get back to it. Seems like I have no motivation, but I guess I just got back yesterday so no hurry.

I did get out for 3.8 miles last night. Hope for about the same tonight but not sure when.

Great race report, Kimmie!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I enjoyed that Boston race report Kim -- it's great that you had so much fun, and got to see your family several times, and some other people. BTW, I can't drink and run either.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.