Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/31 (Read 288 times)

Dave

We got less than the forecast but it was still quite a bit.  Maybe 8-10 with another 3 or so predicted today.  

Schools are cancelled.  Even my work is shut down for the day (very rare).  

We're hunkered down.  Nice pancake breakfast with the kids.  Will head down to the basement for Xbox later today.  

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Be careful in that freezing rain guys, definitely stay OFF the roads (in cars). Good time for yaks and screw shoes, for sure.

Sorry to hear about your son's foot, Dutchie. Teenagers do stupid things sometimes, no?

I got out for runs both Monday and yesterday, and hoping we don't get more snow today so I can run outside again tonight. Would like to do what I did last Wednesday, which was about 8 miles of hills outside, and 3 on the treadmill for 11 total. Trying to cram a lot of miles into this week as this weekend is "iffy" with business travel, and next week will be a severe cutback due to more of the same.

theyapper

On the road again...

Sorry, Dutchie.

Enjoy the snow everyone that got it.  I shouldn't complain that it's 63F here today, but when I went out to run, my body said, "I hate the warmer temps!"  Our temps have been yo-yoing from cold to warm and back and I just like it to pick one and stay there.  My body acclimates to it a lot better that way.

Turned it into a short recovery run.  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

3-1/4 miles on the treadmill. Felt really strong. I'll probably stay inside tonight which will limit my mileage. Dont want to push this sore throat too far. Just trying to stay consistant this week and knock out another week in the mid-30s, maybe 40 if the stars align and I can get a good, long run in this weekend.

Happy Camper

Hope your son  is feeling better Dutchie.

11.27 mm pace average through the snow for 10-miles.  Run was just teh suck.  The closet plowed street is 3 blocks away.  I'm stranded from work until they run through our street.  We got 21".  So far we have not had the 30mph winds that were supposed to hit today which is good.  Got the drive shoveled out in 3 hours and got the work car off the street and into it so the plows won't burry it.  

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Dutchie42

Had to catch up some. Hope those of you in heavy snow or icey roads are safely tucked in at home. If you stay home from work due to the road conditions, do you guys still get payed or do you have to take a vacation day?

Hi gen76!

Lou: Spooky is a Bouvier x Labrador mix with incredible running stamina and Spike is a Dachshund mutt who the vet allows to run up to 10 kilometers. They are both 5 years old. Spike is an incredible fast runner, but he tends to suddenly veer off to the right or come to a complete stop to sniff. This makes me injury prone and adds extra time to the run. I ordered a lunge extention for the buddy leash in hopes of eliminating the injuries.

Murphy: you just got a sore throat or are you sick? Hope you feel better soon.

Today is a 13 kilometer easy run. I'll report back on that.

Dutchie
              Run the day, or the day runs you.

Windy this morning, and I had to be careful around the icy spots.  But no falls Smile

13.1 miles, 1:51:53, 8:33/mi, AHR 153 (75% MHR)

5@9:04(144), 3@8:30(150), 5.08@8:05(163)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Windy this morning, and I had to be careful around the icy spots.  But no falls Smile

13.1 miles, 1:51:53, 8:33/mi, AHR 153 (75% MHR)

5@9:04(144), 3@8:30(150), 5.08@8:05(163)

That is one nice run.

I have just not really felt "myself" since the race Saturday.  I keep thinking that a shorter race like a 8k shouldn't require much recovery, but am I wrong?  I don't feel sick, I'm sleeping good, but my legs have felt somewhat heavy.  I did a tempo run on Tuesday.  Maybe I shouldn't have?

Anyway, any running I do today will be easy.  I'd like to get an hour in at least, but will have to see how I feel when I go out.

We're one day closer to what could really be a Super Bowl.  2 good teams going at it.  Can't wait!

Paul

Dave

Today is not going to be a running day for me.  Working from home for a few hours then pushing to the airport to see if I make it out.  Connection in Phoenix and then hitting the west coast this evening.  Ugh.

At least I'm looking forward to some good running out there and an In&Out Burger on arrival.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Safe travels, Dave!

Had a really enjoyable 7.5 mile run.  Aaaaahhh.

Paul

Paul - I do think that even shorter races can require some recovery time.  Clearly not as much as a marathon, but probably more than a tempo run because, after all, you're running harder in a race than you do in a training session.

Glad today's run was "Aaaaahhh" Smile

Have fun running in the warm sun, Dave!  Can you say where in the west coast you're going? 

Dutchie - my dog would run with me, but she got anxious if we got "too far" (in her feeble mind's opinion) from the house.  She's start pulling like she was tired, but as soon as I turned around, she'd be off like a shot.  I imagine running with two dogs, each with their own training plan, would be even more difficult.  Dachshund mutt, huh?  Little legs, I guess.

Dave

Sure.  I've got a ceremony thing to do in Los Alamitos (flying into Long Beach).  Driving up to Monterey for a conference there next week.  Then onto Reno for another work thing. 

It should be a good trip, although the flight doesn't get there until very late tonight.  I should have ample time for a good run outside tomorrow morning.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Dutchie42

Dutchie - my dog would run with me, but she got anxious if we got "too far" (in her feeble mind's opinion) from the house.  She's start pulling like she was tired, but as soon as I turned around, she'd be off like a shot.  I imagine running with two dogs, each with their own training plan, would be even more difficult.  Dachshund mutt, huh?  Little legs, I guess.

Yep, short legs, but I wouldn't call them little. When he was a pup, people expected him to grow into a big dog based on how big his legs were.

It's difficult to fit Spike's running in with the marathon training plan. Plus, because he stops often to sniff, I'm also incredibly slow. Not that I'm so fast without him, but leaving him home shaves off a minute per kilometer.

Spike's the opposite, if he thinks we're going home, he suddenly drops back behind me and I have to tug the leash to make him run. Doesn't matter whether we ran 2 kilometers, or 9.

Dutchie
                            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Should be nice weather, Dave

I miss my dog

3 slow recovery miles this morning.  Felt great!