Marathon Trainers

Week of 2/22/2010 Last Week of February!! (Read 297 times)

Bugs

Kim,

GREAT JOB on the 20. I had this deja feeling reading because we've all been there.

I got my TRIATHLON shirt. It was weird to be in a swimming event, people watching you, someone counting my laps. I shared a lane with a girl doing the side stroke, which made me look and feel fast. I did 14.5 laps in 15 minutes. The best girl did 20, and I was average. (7 people in my heat). My running partner was there to watch me, and I hugged her and got her all wet when I was done. The bike was a bit of a joke, as they were cycling class bikes so you bike really fast with no tension. 5.55 miles in 20 minutes.  The run was the hardest part, because of my chest cold, not enough running lately. I got my but kicked, 20 minutes I ran 2.44 miles. I met some new friends, a girl asked me to run with her sometime, and I'd like to try a real triathlon but not this year. One comment, I think this TRI stuff maybe harder than just running.

Bugs

GREAT JOB Kimmie! long hilly runs are great training for Boston.

WTG Bugs! Glad that you did your TRI and liked it!

6.2 miles for me this morning. Had 10 miles of hills planned for today but life got in the way for RP. Oh well it's not like I didn't get 2 great hill workouts last week. Tomorrow will be 15 miles of nice and flat (should be).

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Just got back from a 12 miler.  Nice relaxed pace and then picked it up the last 3 miles.  Last mile was the fastest of the whole run.  This one made me feel so much better about the upcoming half @ National.

Now, to shower and celebrate my wife's birthday!  Dinner with her folks at the halfway spot between them and us - should be a lot of fun.  Me and the kids already served her breakfast in bed this morning - waffles and coffee, her favorite!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Nice run Paul! Happy birthday to your wife!

Sorry I forgot to say GOOD LUCK on your long run this weekend Erika! Hope it's enjoyable!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Sounds like you're ready, Paul.

WTG, Bugs!

And Kimmie!  You're supposed to feel tired after 20 -- so you did it right Smile

5 for me this morning, no problems -- still keeping my fingers crossed.  I'm running a 10 mile race tomorrow, but at training / recovery pace.  Assuming I finish, I'll have 25 for the week.  I hope to pick up the mileage a bit next week.  I'm thinking Mon rest, Tue 5, Wed 3, Thu 5, Fri 3, Sat 4, Sun 15, all at recovery pace.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Glad your run went well, Lou,

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lou, best of luck tomorrow. What race?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

Another one of those days where I had to work kind of hard to convince myself that a short easy run would do me good because of my lovely soreness.  I went out and was super slow, but 10 minutes into it, everything loosened up.

Ah, life is good. 

I started a separate thread about meeting up after National... just wanted a central place to discuss.  I'm not really local to DC (30 miles out)  but I can look around- just putting it out there.

hope you all are feeling good.

Paul- great job on the 12 miler... National will be a piece of cake for you, I'm sure.

bugs-  WOO HOO!!  That's so cool!  I dream of doing that some day.  I think an indoor one was a great idea.

Lou- we'll be keeping our fingers crossed too.

I may have gotten a cheaper room for Boston- 2 miles from the finish... waiting to hear back.

Cashmason

Cash, you are my sekrit Krush, you know that, right? 

It was a sekrit?  Fooled me.   

Course you realize  with men,  its not that hard to fool us.

Bugs,  the running leg of a triathlon is always slower than a normal road race.  You have already done two other events before you start your run.

And it takes a while for your legs to get used to running in a straight line, after having gone around in circles, so it takes a while to get up to normal race speed.

Great job,  I am proud of you Bugs.

And yes Kimmie, I am funny.  Erika has known that for years.

evanflein

And not just a little modest, I guess. 

Thanks, Pam. My 9 miles yesterday went pretty well even with lots of slipping. Today's plan is 19.... I do find that the hill work I do bothers my foot. That's not a very good sign, IMO. I ran 7.5 miles of hilly stuff Wednesday night, and it took till yesterday morning before my foot felt better. I think I'll need to stick just finding some hills on my runs as opposed to a dedicated "hill" run. Maybe that will work.

Nice job on the Tri, Bugs. Was the run on the treadmill? Cool way to do a tri in the dead of winter inside.

Cashmason

Umm,  ya   modesty is not one of my strong points.

Erika,  its a darn good thing you are married,  because I feel the same way about you.

I am told I give a good foot massage....  think you would be testing that.

Dave

Be well, Blister.  Heading out of the country for a couple of weeks (yes, there again).

Chat at you when I get back.  Should be right before National.  Good luck to all if I don't get a chance to say it later.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cashmason

Be safe Dave !

Bugs

anxious to hear about the long runs.

Dave,

You be safe!

Cash,

I liked the swim the most but I'm sure a real TRI would be a much different experience. If I could find a used bike I would do a real one.

Still struggling with a chest cold, drinking water with apple cider vinegar helps. I ran 8 miles today and it was the wine and cheese party from last night that had me praying to stop, but I'm going to try to keep runs under an hour. Nobby had me do that when I struggled last spring and it worked pretty well. Something about over an hour is a bigger strain. 

Bugs

Erica sorry to hear that hill workouts bother your foot Sad Best do keep away from those that do at least for the time being. Hope your 19 miler went well today!

BE SAFE DAVE!!

Glad your run went well Lou! How was your race today????  Hope things keep cooperating!

Nice run Paul!

Way to get out for a nice run after your hard 20 miler yesterday Kimmie!! I don't know about anyone else but getting out for a few easy miles the day after a hard run really helps with my recovery.

Hope your chest cold goes away ASAP Bugs!!

Hows thing going for you Perry and Cash???

As for myself I got a nice 15 miler in today with my RP. Couldn't keep hills out of the run. RP struggled a bit on the run today so we kept the pace easy. Guess we all have those sucky runs. Thankfully so far *knock on wood* it doesn't happen to us both on the same run. That would really bite. Hope everyone's weekend went well!