Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/24 (Read 195 times)

Hi, Dutchie.  Welcome and good morning!

As you can see from the time I, too, go running in the morning before my brain figures it out Smile  (I'm on the east coast USA)

MTA: In the snow:

11.1 miles, 1:37:37, 8:46/mi, AHR 151 (74% MHR)

5@9:15(140), 1@8:39(147), 5.13@8:19(161)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Welcome Dutchie!

I too am training for a May 1 marathon. Really Im focussed on 24 hour race in September. But that training should result in a good marathon if I keep running consistantly (thats always been a problem for me--I'll go strong for a couple months, and then I slide into bad habits). You have time to get the long runs in. Im basically building up from scratch, and havent hit on a double digit run yet.

Great run Lou.

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey Dutchie.  You've been running for a while now and have a good base.  I'm sure you'll do fine.  Good to have new blood here!

No run here yet.  Kind of waiting on the rainy clouds to break after lunch.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

3 miles easy at the indoor track. Really just posting this in hopes that Dave finds his way to the proper thread Wink

Dave

Doh.  Joking

Like a said, rough day today.  Flying out really early tomorrow too.  I may post in the 1/10 thread just to see if anyone posts there too.

MTA:  From the other thread

Wow, you guys are cranking the miles this week already.

Welcome (back) Dutchie.

I failed to run yesterday.  Was supposed to fly to DC tonight for a couple of nights and have already gotten weathered out.  Will try and carve out a treadmill workout today or this evening though since I'm not travelling (yet).

18 is a heckuva midweek (or weekend) run. Nice low AHR too.

MTA:  Wicked lousy day at work but I managed to get to the gym after work for 4.5 miles in 40 minutes.  Progression run.  1 mile warmup @ 6.3 then .2 faster every quarter mile until it hit 8.3.  Cooldown.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We just had light rain, heavy rain, light rain, then sleet (I mean, as opposed to real snow). Managed to run in the second light rain part. Discovered that our rain jackets are really warm -- felt very comfortable. Only ran a bit in the sleet -- was kind of funny light-stingy feeling in the face.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

evanflein

Hey Dutchie! Nice to see you here!! You always do such amazing cross training, I'm sure it'll help your marathon efforts. And thanks for asking about DS2. We expect he'll feel better soon after the meds kick in, but he tested positive for strep so he's on antibiotics and will miss a 4th day of school tomorrow. Should've followed my instincts and got him in to the doc yesterday. Oh well.

Who did 18 for a midweek run, Dave??? You? Wow... would be nice to have the time to do that. I could *maybe* do it in the summer, but not in the winter.

I didn't run at all yesterday. Made it to the gym for my XT stuff, but had a meeting to discuss trail re-route options for the Equinox. Turns out they're mainly looking at year-round trail use, but the race itself has a "one day" permit to use this one part they're trying to preserve, but it's so steep and overused it's really eroded and not safe. No decisions made, just lots of information. Hope they figure out something that will let us keep that part of the race. its called "the chute" and it's a real icon of the race. 

I stayed home after DS2's appointment, and took advantage of the nice day and headed outside (yay! first time in over a week!!) and ran 8.1 miles on our hilly neighborhood roads until the light faded to the point it was messing with my depth perception. Came inside, stripped down and ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill in about 30 minutes. So.. 11.6 miles total, longest midweek run in a long time. Felt great to get outside again!!!

6.5 hour commute home yesterday.  What a mess.  First it took me 4 hours to get to the corporate headquarters to pick up Harriet (we work for the same company, but in different buildings), then 2.5 hours to get home.  The 2.5 hours required three attempts to go North, twice having to backtrack and try another route.  Now we have to dig out.

Maybe I won't run today (although the streets have been plowed, hmmm)

Dave

Wow. That sounds awful, Lou. I had a 4 hour commute one day and it sucked. I can't imagine. Turns out no one did an 18 miler midweek. I was just in the wrong thread. 3 hour flight delay this morning after getting up extra early because the flight showed "On Time". Ugh. At least il have time for some treadmill time tonight.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Lou - that sounds awful.

Sorry about the delays, Dave.

Rest day for me, or not.  Depends on how I feel later.

MTA: Just finished reading Born to Run.  Great book.  I think it made my runs this week a bit faster than normal, too. Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I loved Born to Run. I read it over a year ago. May re-read. Just finished 'Running for My Life' It was a decent relatively quick read. Looking for another ultra running type book. Lately (past couple years) Ive been way more into true life adventure type books than I am into fiction. Like Into The Wild or Into Thin Air.

Lou - that sounds awful.

Not as bad as some people.  My boss didn't get home until 5am this morning, and one of my colleagues was on the road until 4am.  I feel like a bit of a whiner now, since I did get home by 11:30pm.  Smile

Born to Run -- is that the book about the miler?  That was fantastic.

3 treadmill miles. Different treadmill. faster pace. Less effort than last time.

I felt pretty bad that I only did 3 miles last night. I felt fine..but ended up going to the Y--needed to fill up the tank for my wife..and I left late and was time crunched..excuses, excuses. Planning on getting outside tonight for a long run. I think Im going to take tomorrow off to do house work--clear out the new baby's room, get my new tv and stuff. And the house is a disaster on top of that. The good part of that is I can reasonably run longer and later, and possibly get out tomorrow afternoon as well.

Lou- Born to Run is about long distance running. Basically the author tracks down an Indian Tribe that is legendary for their ability to run long distances. It sprouts off from there..with lots of interesting side stories. If you havent read this one--you wont regret picking it up.

Kimmie

Lou, I am glad you all got home safe. It took Greg 4 hours.... He told me some crazy stories... Just got back from 5 miles on the plowed road.... Had to walk about 1/2 mile through 8 inches of snow to get to the plowed road, but it was worth it. Oh, and an hour of shoveling should count for something, The commuting nightmare makes me thankful that I work out of my home. Kind of a bummer when the piano students can't get to you, though.

I'll check out Born to Run.  I was thinking of Once a Runner -- fiction, but definitely a great read