Marathon Trainers

Week of 8/2/2010 (Read 173 times)

Hi, willamona!

Perry - very fast, and now you know you can do it in a race.

Feel better cash, murph.

3 recovery miles

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

Hope all is Ok with you, Amanda.

Glad to see you, Bugs.

Erika and I need the women to represent in Team Blister

Dave- wow, what a schedule.

Good for you on getting a run in.

Murphy- what Bugs said.  Try to hang in there... when they're little, it's tough.   

Finally got up early for a run... felt great- 6 miles of hills.

Weigh in is in a couple hours. Have no idea what I'll end up. I am running before hand. Got on the scale first thing this a.m. and was just up a hair--which Id lose easily. Since Ive been sick I ate my oatmeal and drank a bit so Im showing a few more lbs. Better strategy would probably be to weigh in heavy, and drop a big # next week..but I like being in first.

Bugs

You guys get better, you know how easily I get sick, don't want to catch anything. Smile

6 miles on a new trail I found yesterday.

Bugs

evanflein

Very nice time, Perry. Next time you do a track 5k race, imagine a repeat of this one. Tell yourself no matter what, you can't step off the track or you'll be eaten alive by rats or something. Hey, it's mostly a mental game, right?

Hang in there, Murphy! Yes, those little ones are like little germ carriers. And once they're in school they go get a fresh supply every day and bring it home to you. Your best defense is a healthy immune system, which is helped by REST! (like Bugs said) GL on your BL weigh in.

Bryan, impressive lifting there, dude. I'll be really interested to hear some results. This was for bone density, right? I think there was more, but nice to see results in that area. Not that you're a menopausal woman or anything...

Nice to see Carmen made it home, at least for awhile. Don't envy you your travel schedule, that's for sure. Sounds like a lot of it is last minute, makes it hard to plan anything.

Bugs! I was wondering what happened to you. DH going to take the job? I remember you saying before that his work/workplace was pretty stressful with some toxic type people. You'd think that would be an easy run-from situation, but I'm sure there's always more to consider. Happy trail running!

Hey Lou!

Hey Kimmie! How you feeling?

No heat issues here this week. After a hot, dry, sunny weekend and early week, we've cooled down a lot and today is overcast, foggy, smoky and drizzly. A real mixed bag. The hot weekend really flared up the fires across the river, and we've been dealing with smoke off and on, mostly in the morning. Tomorrow morning's half-marathon should be cool and damp, not bad for running as long as the trail parts aren't too muddy. I'm thinking of wearing my trainers instead of my Speedstars, cuz I don't want to get those muddy, but oh well. No time goals for this race, I'm treating it as a fast long run. (my PR for this race is when they diverted the course to be all on the roads due to flooding on the trails, so hard to think of bettering that time when I'll be dealing with the regular course)

Ran about 4 today and a bit more on the treadmill.

Ended up dead even with last week's weigh-in. Slipped to 4th. About 4 lbs behind the leader.  I'm not going to do any craziness. Will just ramp up the miles, and cut out the diet soda this week, and try not to gorge this weekend to see what I can do. But, regardless, Im thrilled with where I'm at..and am looking forward to not getting on a scale every day and stressing.

theyapper

On the road again...

Getting ready to head out in a few to the last XC practice this week.  My boys have done really well, and I'm proud of them for hanging in there in spite of the blistering conditions.

I, on the other hand, slept right through my alarm this morning and never got my run in.  Doing doubles - even at a much slower pace during the XC practices - wore me out more than I expected.  Still, it'll be a good week mileage-wise, at least better than it has been.

Murph - sounds like you've done a great job with the weight loss.  Hope the last weigh in meets your expectations.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

HEY ALL!

Hope all is well. Been having some health issue's this past couple weeks a long with a busy summer and running so haven't been on that much. I'll try to catch up next week, getting ready to head out North for my 100 mile race. Will be running with Amanda for  a bunch and hope that we both finish it!  DH got a new job and starts on the 11th which means we will have health insurance come September THANK YOU LORD!

Anyway just wanted to take a few minutes to check in before inlaws get here to pick kids up.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hi, Pam!  Good news on the health insurance!

evanflein

Have fun, Pam, be careful and run strong! Good news on the new job and the health insurance. That's gotta be a relief.

Murphy, you could decrease the carbs a bit and up the water intake... Just a couple of pre-event slimming tricks, but you're probably already watching very carefully what you eat. And carb restriction plays havoc with your running...

Paul, doubles can be a great way to increase your mileage, but they also can wear you out!

3.1 miles today, 8:17 avg pace (same as yesterday's run!), started out easy, hill in the middle, finished up strong with some striders. Felt stiff and creaky, with aches and pains popping up here and there, then fading away. I must have a race tomorrow.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Woohoo, yes that is great  to get health insurance.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

some more easy miles for me: 6

theyapper

On the road again...

Yay for insurance!

Did 9 this morning.  One of those runs where the average pace ends up pretty good, but doesn't tell the whole story of how the out of the out and back was too fast and the back of the out and back suffered as a result.  It was a tale of 2 runs for sure.

Paul

evanflein

Paul, I have a lot of runs like that... Out and backs where you start either lower or higher than your turnaround point. I like starting lower... then your return trip is a guaranteed negative split!

I ran the Santa Claus Half Marathon today, out in North Pole. (no, not THE North Pole... it's a little town 16 miles south of us, and really plays on that Santa theme... candy cane streetlights and the whole deal. really.) I wasn't sure what I'd do today, so decided to treat it like a training run and work on pacing at MP or something like that. Well... it turned out a little better than that. 1:42:17 for a good PR on THIS version of the course. A couple years ago this course was flooded so we ran the race all on roads and bike paths and I ran a 1:41:20... I'm really happy that this much more challenging course was only 57 seconds slower. This course includes some roads, but lots of trails with a lot of gravel... some with a lot of "river rock" size oblong and round rocks. I stumbled and staggered a couple of times, but made it through. The dirt trail parts of this course are really nice, especially since the mud puddles weren't very big. So... another 1st in AG, but 2nd in the series AG... I'll be happy next year when Jane is in the higher AG for series points. 

Then I went up to the ski hill for more blueberries... 4 1/2 hours later, I emerge with over 1 1/2 gallons of beautiful berries. Now to clean them... ugh.

theyapper

On the road again...

Nice race, Erika.  And blueberries for a great post-race snack!

Wonder how Pam and Amanda are doing.  Aren't they running some crazy forever long race this weekend?

I thought about running today - just enough to hit 40 for the week and extend my little running streak into next week.  Probably not gonna happen - I am tired.

Paul