Marathon Trainers

Week of 4/21-4/27 (Read 229 times)

Beer Drinker

erika - sorry for the typo... great race! so it appears there is nothing major wrong with the knee. im going to lay off it for a few more days then maybe ride a bike super easy for a day or two, then try some short, easy runs. its probably overuse from ramping up quickly after the hip injury in jan and feb. part of me wants to drop before the race cause ive never dnf'd before... with climbing season just around the bend, i dont want to push it and end up injured half the summer... Confused
    Start off easy, then slow down.
      Wow Erica. You kick ass. Enjoy this one. And wear your number and medal around for a week wherever you go. Doc felt two knots at my lower back. He thought the nyumbness was just the pain dispersing to the rest of my body. At the time it really freaked me out. My back always feels better after running actually. Since mid Feb, Ive only been out a few times..my 2 races and maybe a couple training runs. Im not sure how I PRd at both the races. Must be something to this overtapering Wink But those were shorter distances. Ran 4 miles tonight for the first time since my back trouble. Felt great the first two miles, but I really wore out, and walked much of the last mile. I think more than anything it was not being used to warm weather and not hydrating. I think I'll be 'ok' for the half--Im just going to enjoy it and probably stay with my partner longer..in the 15k, I left him at about 2 miles in. Will do 4-6 tomorrow. 8 on Thursday, and 10 on Saturday.
      Cashmason

8 miles last nite from 9 pm to 10 30 pm 8 miles scheduled early tomorrow morning. I run when the mood strikes or when my friends want to run. Most of my runs are solo, so if someone who wants to run my pace invites me, I take it. Today just spin and 1000 yards in the fishbowl. Was going to lift as well, but got caught up in an investing webinar that ran late. And after spin, I am just too sweaty to lift.
        higa

managed 18k this morning but boy did i feel it later in the day. i was supposed to do 19 but i just ran out of time. as the day wore on i was thinking 'no wonder i'm tired, i ran just short of a half marathon before breaksfast then had to do a days work'. rest day tomorrow then 90 min on friday. i still can't imagine sticking to my plan as well if i left my runs to the end of the day, i know things would get pretty 'loose', a missed session here, another there then comes the slippery slope................. weather for me is just going in to autumn - Auckland, New Zealand so i'm getting all the long sleeves out and crossing fingers it stays dry. Happy training.

Bugs

Higa, I never miss a run and only run in the evening except on weekends. Cash, Here's some investment advice, read your mail. I had an inactive e-trade account and if your account it in-active for too long they turn the money over to the state. Oh that would have been seriously bad. Caught it in time. 5 miles last night in 46:10. Legs were tired in the beginning but then I got down to 8:30 pace. Speed is coming back. See cardiologist today. Considered wearing a marathon shirt but to give him the message, "Don't mess with my running life." I just want to be done with the heart stuff. My little hospital stay, $7K, for what? Probably should have taken an extra week of when I had bronchitis.

Bugs

Bugs

Cardiologist doesn't think I have anything seriously wrong with my heart but wants to do more testing. I have to go to Rochester, Mayo Clinic on Tuesday. That sucks. I wanted to be done with this crap. Basically they are going to give me drugs to see if my heart will do that funk again. He did say that the lexapro can be good to reduce my fainting spells. He said "we'll have to discuss your training habits, diet, and your running GI troubles." I kind of got the sense he was going to try and limit my running. Frick if they can't give me a reason why I won't stop doing marathons. He didn't like my running GI problems, but he didn't know it was a common problem for runners either. Inertia, Really if you're not well yet REST. Think I could have avoided all this crap with just another week of rest. All this heart testing just to prove I ran myself down and put my body in a funk.

Bugs

Cashmason

Well at least the Mayo clinic is world class. Hope you have great insurance with a low deductible. You need to find a doc that runs or at least a heart doc that runs. 8 miles plus a tad extra or 13k in Higa speak today for me. Would love to do a tri someday down in NZ. Yes I am one of those evil people who do tri's. I talk about lots of workouts these days other than running, although Erika and I trained for our first marathons about the same time. My story is the only reason she is way faster than I am, is because she has less wind resistance..... wink. So see Shan you can talk about other workouts here too.

Bugs

Cash, Guessing this guy was a good 65+ and he said he was a runner. I wonder when. Once a runner, always a runner right. I did like him, this guy is a specialest, I don't think I get to pick a different one. My insurance is Mayo Medical Systems Insurance so I don't think it's good coverage, or the best you can get. Just not sure if it's a different deductable. I will fight him if he messes with my running. I've fainted long before I was a runner.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

Higa - great job getting done your 18K!! I had a friend who lives in NZ said it was very beautiful! Bugs - you should just be glad they are being thorough! Cash - I don't think you are evil I think that's COOL!!! Gym night - went well. I think i may be ready to increase weight! I really hope taking some time off will bring the desire back... I think if I can build up the strength that will help significantly!
                    evanflein

Got back home this morning at 7 a.m. Good lord that trip sucks. We had a 4+ hour layover in Anchorage, so rented one of the available "recliner rooms" they have there. Kinda cool, DH and I rented a small room (emphasis on "small") with a double recliner, a TV I turned off as soon as we got in there, a small desktop fountain (white noise), and alarm clock. Really close to the restrooms so brushed teeth and turned in for almost 3.5 hours of solid snoozing. It felt so good. I told DH I didn't want to spend the money after spending so much at Boston, we could just sleep on the floor at the other end of the terminal (less traffic, still noisy). He said, heck with that, I'm stayin' here! So, for $36 we got a nice rest and I got to put my feet up. I swell up so bad on planes now! Ugh. Got up just in time for a quick coffee at Starbucks then got on our plane at 5:40 to head to Fairbanks. What a trip. Spent yesterday (Tuesday) walking the Freedom Trail in the North End of Boston. How fun was that, wow. Loved the Italian district and all the wonderful restaurants and bars... Stopped at a nice place for some lunch (grilled lamb sandwich with a nice montelpuciano... what a treat. Running Boston was awesome, and I had a great time. But I'm tired and very glad to be home. Was going to try to run tonight, but no time... this week is pretty hectic for us, culminating in a big fund raiser soccer tournament our team is hosting and a spaghetti feed/silent auction on Saturday. Sunday I can sleep. Higa, like Bugs, I almost always run in the evening. Only on weekends do I run during the daytime, and then not early (at least not in the winter) cuz I want maximum daylight/temps. I'm going to try more early morning runs this summer though... we have a busy soccer schedule and mornings might be my only chance...

Oh Mighty Wing

Erica - that sounds like a crazy trip home! And while the traveling part is a little crazy and very energy zapping it sounds like you made the most of boston which is great!
                          Im also an evening runner, except on weekends. 4 last night, was easier than Tuesday---started slower and kept the pace longer. The 1/2 is gonna be tough--Im just not in racing shape--but I'll tough it out and just run to enjoy the atmosphere. Gonna take a break tonight and maybe walk a few miles with my dw. Will go on a longer run Friday and again on Sunday, I think.

Dave

Still not running. Did a good cross training workout yesterday though. Warmup: Max sets of pushups and crunches + stretching 2 rounds (supposed to be three): - 500M rowing (about 2 minutes) - 12 assisted chinups - 10 Benchpress - 8 Pushpress (modified overhead press) - 6 squat cleans After 2 sets I was light headed, cold sweats, and had to quit. Also managed to reinjure my leg a bit. Feels better today. Sort of two steps forward, one step back.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Erika, Sounds hubby is getting use to going to these marthons and you two are getting some quality time together. Smile I was with you virtually every step of your race. Hope you are still on a buzz. Dgb, Great workout. Your going to have amazing arms. Raining here, got 8 scheduled for tonight. DH worked all night so hopefully will not have to revert to the TM so he can sleep. We'll do what all respectable parents do when they need to sleep; put their kids in front of the TV.

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Improving slowly but surely. Post run coughing fit is getting shorter and shorter. Runs still feel a little labored but definitely improving. I'm taking it day by day getting as much rest as I can. I'm not giving up hope for bayshore. I'm going to run as many days as I can during the week, 3-5 miles for now and run as long as I can on Saturdays and just rebuild as much as possible.