Marathon Trainers

Can I get some log dissection? (Read 152 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Don't know quite how to start this, because for the most part I'm pretty happy with my current state of running.  I've successfully ramped up mileage to the point that I'm comfortable in the mid 30's and am consistently (other than cutback weeks) running close to 6 hours  week total, 5 times a week.  My basic weekly daily runs follow:

M Easy

T Easy

W Mid week long

Th Rest

Fri Easy

Sat Long

I was doing speedwork on Tuesdays (intervals one week and tempo runs the next), but lately have nixed that and am trying to include the speedwork in my mid-week long run.  I'm also trying to run by time, not distance, so the time works out to:

M 50 min

T  55-60 min

W 75-90 min

F  50 min

S  120 min

I'm not targeting a specific pace for the runs.  Easy is just that.  Looks like my easy pace has naturally dropped to just under 10 m/m, but 10 is a pretty close average.  My long run pace usually works out to the mid 10s.

Sorry for all that, it may be much more than you need in order to answer my question, which is:

The last few Saturday long runs I've noticed myself feeling more tired than usual.  I know it's summer and hotter and all that, but I feel like my body is handling the weekly mileage increase, but that maybe I should redistribute the mileage differently across my 5 runs so that I don't get to my long run tired.  I've even taken a couple long runs and done them with a 9 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking cycle to see if that helped, and it did the first time, but then this morning I cut it short 30 minutes before I had planned just because I felt so tired.  

I feel like my long run should be a staple in my week, and I have gotten to the point where it is never less than 10, but I want to reach the point where it's never less than 15.

My only real target right now is to start averaging 40 mpw by summer's end.  That will give me a nice solid base for marathon training/racing this fall and will hopefully help me run a better marathon the second time around.

Can you guys give me any insight or ask me hard questions that will help me?  You've all got a lot more miles in this than me and have a lot to offer.  Again, I'm not freaking out - I'm quite pleased.  I'm just looking to do the best I can and be smart so I can improve and stay injury free.

So pull out your scalpels and cut up my log.  Thanks in advance.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

evanflein

Is Sunday a rest day?

Not really sure how to answer your question. Is it total fatigue you're feeling? Or just a heavy leg feeling? I think you've distributed your runs well throughout the week. Do you take a cutback week every two or three weeks? Continuously building (both time and miles) can be hard on you after awhile.

theyapper

On the road again...

Yes.  Sunday is a rest day.

As far as the tired feeling, I'm not sure.  Probably more like general fatigue.  Today's run started over an hour later than usual and so it may have simply been the heat/humidity (it was 81F with a ReelFeel of 87F when I finished).

Paul

Your log looks fine.  How is your eating? When I'm not getting enough calories in for my running that can really effect my energy level (as well as heat and humidty)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

You might be onto something there with the eating.  I readily admit that my sleeping and eating probably aren't the best.  Until now, just running seemed to do the trick, but is there a point when you've got to fuel the body correctly to get to the next level?

That was a stupid question, because the answer will obviously be yes.  I guess my real question is what the heck do I need to know about it?

Paul

Hawt and sexy

Ok, when this happens to me, it's either diet or I am not doing my mid longs.(I am a mileage whore, so this might not be your issue.) Wink

For the diet, it's good to get something like chocolate milk, Muscle Milk or any recovery drink with a 4:1 carb to protein ratio in the system asap after running. Add a banana if you can. Then try to eat within the next hour. I gotta go search my old links. (Remember how we had all those handy at the site that shan't be named?) Their is a good article by Pfitz on recovery stuffs and food. Sleep is good, but sometimes hard to get when it's 70 degrees at night. Try tweeking the recovery foods, if that doesn't work, try a nap the day before long run day.

If it's just heat, well, join the club. I fix that with post run margaritas. What? It has salt...

I'm touching your pants.

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm def getting in my mid longs, and that makes me feel like I should be going farther on my long ones.  I mean, if I'm doing 9 on Wed, shouldn't I be doing more than 11-13 on the weekend?  Or should the mileage of those 2 runs be close to each other?

Thanks for the suggestions about recovery foods.  I'll hunt around for some more info on that, too.  What about fuel before the long runs?  What do you guys eat/drink?

Paul

Hawt and sexy

Before? Sometimes nothing but water, if I am doing pure MAF. Right ow, I have been drinking a ton of pop, but I try not to eat before I run.

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

For the diet, it's good to get something like chocolate milk, Muscle Milk or any recovery drink with a 4:1 carb to protein ratio in the system asap after running. Add a banana if you can.

I don't watch the ratio, but I do try to eat something after a run -- often some type of protein bar, to get some protein accompanied by more carbs.  I've never tried any comparative testing of doing that vs. not doing that after a run, myself.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Before a long run I'll eat some bread, either slices or a bagel, and a banana.  Maybe some cream cheese or peanut butter on the bread if it is really long.

Generally I don't eat unless the run is 15 miles or more, but that's just me.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com