Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/19 (Read 247 times)

Dave

Hello!  Blister!  I'm not going to entertain myself this week .

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Wow... it's already after noon here on the far west coast and no replies yet? Dave, you just might be playing by yourself this week.

Our warmer-than-normal temps seem to have ended. Now we're in what they call "seasonable" temperatures, but they sure seem chilly after such a warm first half of the month. Oh well, no snow yet. That's good and bad. Good because it's just easier to get around (cars, walking, running, etc) without the snow, but it also serves as insulation for pipes and such when the cold does come. It's a drag to get -20 to -30 with no snow cover... good way to freeze up our well lines and septic pipes. Lovely.

No run for me today, I'm heading to the pool after work for some pool running.

Bugs

I ran in shorts today.

Bugs

Dave

I still may run in shorts tonight.  Temps have warmed back up near 60 after a VERY chilly weekend (although nothing like what Erika is describing).

Waiting for our little one to go to bed and will try and log 3 with DW tonight.

Some amazing running this weekend across RA with some huge PRs.  Makes me so jealous of those getting good marathons in this fall.  Big inspiration.

And then there's Lou who ran in what looked like a hurricane.  Dang.

Sending well wishes and prayers out to Paul who's in India this week.  That is one heckuva trip so close to his goal race.  

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

I haven't run since last Tuesday, since I was trying to rest my shoulder.

It's probably fine... nothing major.   oh well.. . at least it's better than being sick right before my marathon.  hope to get a run in tomorrow.

Hope you feel better soon, Kimmie.

Here's my race report: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/76ac8f088af64712a3d3b3d8b8a74d70

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Bugs

Lou,

Wet soaking wind blown runners in ugly yellow sweatshirts are my hero.

Kim,

You doing stretches for the shoulder?

Dave,

How's life in MI? When's the next big race.

I've decided to shoot for Fargo, May for next marathon. The only thing keeping me from registering is I seem to get sick in the spring and the rates don't go up much till March.  My high level plan is to run more miles this winter, run some short races with rested legs this winter, and some intense hill training. I will probably run the hills by tme. But most of the marathon I'm just going to follow basic intermediate training plan. Maybe the Grandmas Int plan, or Hal Higdon. For the marathon training I want to run more quality miles; NOT the run more lots plan. Okay, that's my high level plan. I gotta a lot of running and time before real training begins so I better not think to much about it else you get six weeks before it and you're ready and waiting for the stupid race to be done with.

Bugs

evanflein

Good plan, Bugs. I'm hearing more and more runners rethinking the "more miles at any cost" and focusing on quality over quantity. I know that's my approach.

30 minutes of pool running after work. Didn't have much energy and was glad to be done.

HEY DAVE Smile Hope you got in a good run last night!

I ran in shorts as well Bugs. Sent the kids to school in heavy parka's (it was that cold) but OMG did it warm up. NICE!

Hope you get a run in today Kimmie! 

WELCOME TO THE MANIACS Lou! Way to stick it out through that crappy weather Lou and still finish good (even if it's a  PW )

I got in a little over 9 mile miles yesterday. Garmin crapped out so I used dh's Nike watch to time my run and then just ran my regular 9.2 route.  Ken spent some time working on the Garmin so hopefully it's working today. If the weather is nice I'd like to get out and do some intervals.

Hope everyone has a nice day today Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Dave

Thanks, Pam.  I did get an easy 3 miler in with my wife.  Even though it was late and dark, the temps stayed comfortable. 

Unless I manage to find a way to get myself up and run before work, I suspect that evening runs after my youngest is in bed may become my regular routine.

I can tell it's been a while since I logged a decent mileage week.  I'm getting a little knee pain that I'm sure will dissappear once I start logging some more regular mileage.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

That's so awesome that you can get out and run with wife.  Your oldest must be old enough to stay home alone now.   Not that I want to rush things, but I look forward to having that freedom.  My 8 and a half year old acts like she's 18 now anyways.

well, just got back from first time running in a week.  I don't feel great... little concerned about that but it could be from taking off a week.  I have done this before where I thought I was doing the right thing by taking some time off and now I'm wondering if I can get my legs loose by this weekend.

Breathe, stay calm.   Planning to meet some RAers after the race if we can find each other in the zoo.  I couldn't even find Dave under the tree last year.

Dave

I looked for you, Kimmie but there were a bunch of trees .  At least we finally met at National.

I'm still very much up in the air on my next race.  Maybe a turkey trot if I can find one.  Beyond that, I'm probably going to have to settle for halfs for a while but I'm not giving up on improving my marathon PR and eventually BQ'ing.

Towards that end, I ran from my office for the first time ever outside.  Kind of a rough neighborhood but I found a very nice 5 mile loop.  With the nice conditions, an easy run turned into a progression run with miles 2-4 at around 7:45, 7:30, and 7:15 respectively.  Overall average was 7:54 for 5.2 miles.  Legs felt pretty good. 

I'm sure I'll pay for that later but right now I'm pretty happy with it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Hopefully you'll be feeling GREAT come marathon time Kimmie!

Isn't it great to run with your spouse Dave! I don't get enough running with Ken Sad  I'm hoping that he'll be up to racing a 5k with me in November. 

Well had to make changes to my interval workout this morning. I had planned on doing 4x half mile repeats with half mile recovery in between each interval however the track I use (around a local soccer field) is a muddy mess. So instead I ran 4xquarter mile repeats with quarter recovery in between in the local housing development. Really hard to focus on that type of workout on the roads however I wasn't looking at doing a really hard workout today anyways. Good news is that the speed didn't cause any issue's with my hamstring so looks like I'll be running the 5k this weekend with a girlfriend of mine. It will be her first and I'm hoping that we can get close to 24 if not sub 24. Depends on the course. If it's flat I think she can go sub 24. We shall see.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

nice run Dave!

Bugs

Very nice run indeed Dave!

4 miles for me today. I'm so sore. Apparently that trail running beats you up a bit. Smile

Bugs