Marathon Trainers

Week of 10/19 (Read 247 times)

If we didn't get so much freezing rain along with high winds during the winter where I live it wouldn't be all that bad. BTW it took me awhile to get used to dealing with colder temps. I spent so much time in tropical weather (panama, Hawaii and Florida)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hail to The Victors!

I'm still very much up in the air on my next race.  Maybe a turkey trot if I can find one.  Beyond that, I'm probably going to have to settle for halfs for a while but I'm not giving up on improving my marathon PR and eventually BQ'ing.

Hey Dave, how about this?

http://www.runmichigan.com/calendar/event_detail1.php?recordID=2929

Looks like it might be a worthy cause, and lots of fun.  There's another 5k/10k by the same group the week before that in Northville, which is smack dab between us.

Kimmie

Ah Floridians,  they're so fun.  Smile  

today was Florida like here... in the high 70s.  I had to turn my air on, it got too stuffy and hot in here.  The other day I had to turn my heat on...  ugh.

Vix- I say run the 5K.

Dave-  sorry bout the splints... hope it's short lived.

Glad to see you're like the rest of us.

Pam- sounds like a great run.

Tapering madness for me.  Doc says I'm good to go.  Didn't run today, will run short tomorrow.

Weather's looking great!!!  (sorry Lou!)

evanflein

Yeah, Vix, do the 5k. Who says you need to stop just cuz the race is over? Warm up with 1 or 2 easy miles, race the 5k, then cool down for a few. How long was your long run going to be? You could either make a 5k sandwich out of it, or just run long on Sunday.

Goooooo Kimmie! Good to hear the weather is looking cooperative. There's been enough crappy weather for races lately.

I was getting so wrapped up over not running the last couple of days... I'm hopeless. Ran 6.1 after work here on my road, included a couple of good hills, avg pace 8:21 which is faster than I should've been going, but I never could see pace with the low light so was just trying to run by feel. At first, my foot hurt in the arch so I came inside at .3 miles (have a short out-and-back to the end of the cul de sac first) and adjusted and re-taped my metatarsal pad. It had shifted back quite a ways. Headed back out and if felt so much better! But... after my run, it hurts. Drat it all anyway. So, now I'm icing it and thinking about what to do next.

Sorry about the foot, Erika.

Saw some deer crossing the road just in front of me this morning -- so pretty.

5.1 miles, 46:42, 9:14/mi, AHR 139 (71% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Kimmie

That does sound nice, Lou.

Ran this morning... legs, shoulder, etc... felt great but the effort felt a little harder than the pace indicated, if that makes sense.  I didn't sleep well again last night, so that might be it... plus, it's coolish, but 90% humidity out there.

So, should be interesting on Sunday.  I've debated on going for even splits or negative.  I'm going to shoot for negative, I think.  Tomorrow, head to the EXPO.

You're going to do great, kimmie.  I just have a feeling.

Dave

Go Kimmie!!  I'm excited for you.  That is such a great race.

3 easy miles tonight.  First run in a while with my HR strap.  9:07 pace, 148 AHR.

Hope your foot is nothing serious Erika.  My shins seem to have been just a brief bout of pain but a good reminder not to pound out sub 8 miles.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

It's good to see you running again, Dave.  You'll get more settled as time moves on -- your life has had a lot of upheaval lately.

Saw a couple more deer this morning, this time a doe and her fawn.  Yesterday was two does, I think.

6.1 miles, 57:02, 9:18/mi, AHR 134 (69% MHR)

Kimmie

Thanks Lou and Dave.

I also hope that your foot is nothing serious.

Ok, I have a question about running at the end.  Usually, I taper quite a bit, as in running very few days.  But the past 2 weeks, as my running has decreased, I've not been able to sleep well.  It seems that I need to be tired enough to sleep.  So, running today will help me sleep tonight.  And by running, I mean 3 miles, nothing crazy.  But, I still want to rest all my twinges and aches. (which kind of seem minor)  So, what to do.... sleep tonight or rest the body from running?

going to the expo in a little bit.

Vixi- what did you decide about the 5K?

Jeremy- good to see you... How are you feeling?  And your wife?

thinking about  Paul and the great work that he's doing over in India.  Makes you thankful for all that we have here.

Dave

My vote would be for short (3 miles) and very easy if it helps you sleep.  Sleep is part of your prep too.

Thanks, Lou.  It's good to be running again (my 3 month graph has no single week longer than 13 miles, ouch).  I'm having to rethink how I get my miles in and am trying to view it as restoring some semblance of life balance.  Last night, I went out at 8PM but I was off work early so it fit in better. 

I'm hoping to get in 2 mid-day runs per week, 1-2 evening runs, and then both days on the weekends.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie - 3 miles easy will be good for you and keep you loose for Sunday.  I usually skip Friday and run 2 on Saturday, but I don't think that makes much of a difference.  And 2 vs 3 should be no problem at all two days before the race.

Hail to The Victors!

Jeremy- good to see you... How are you feeling?  And your wife?

We are hanging in there. Staples come out Monday, and I imagine there'll be xrays to see how much bone has filled in the gap.  10 days down, 31 to go before the brace comes off for good.  In-laws leave tomorrow, and I get sole care for most of the next 31. 

Running is going good though, Monday was the first day I felt like really wanting to run again, and it's about time, it is almost 25 weeks to Boston, after all.  Time to start getting ready!  It looks like it's supposed to rain hard all day, but I'm hoping to get out at lunch and do 12 anyway...

We are hanging in there. Staples come out Monday, and I imagine there'll be xrays to see how much bone has filled in the gap.  10 days down, 31 to go before the brace comes off for good.  In-laws leave tomorrow, and I get sole care for most of the next 31. 

Running is going good though, Monday was the first day I felt like really wanting to run again, and it's about time, it is almost 25 weeks to Boston, after all.  Time to start getting ready!  It looks like it's supposed to rain hard all day, but I'm hoping to get out at lunch and do 12 anyway...

All the best for your wife, Jeremy.

25 weeks, yikes!  Actually I normally run a 24 week plan, but am wondering if the Pfitzinger 18 week plan makes more sense.  The 24 week plan starts slowly though, so I don't know that it really matters.

I sure hope we can find time for a get-together in Boston -- we are stating to know so many people there, and we're not sure if the kids (and baby Nate) will still be there or not, which also takes time away from visiting with our running friends.

Bugs

GOOD LUCK KIMMIE!

Erika, it's just your arch that hurt? Not that arch is not important...just clarifing. I have this crazy mix of neutral (Nobby approved shoes) and stability shoes. When my arch hurts the crutches go back on.

Lots of cold bloddy rain here.  I still run, but dam I need to update log, I"m like three weeks out. Once I started wearing garmin lost motivation to update the stupid thing.

Picked a hardwood floor and an installer. Bargain price because everybody is looking for work.

Bugs