Marathon Trainers

For Erika, on College Recruiting. (Read 91 times)

Cashmason

I went to a Christmas Party and had a nice talk with my friend Juaune, who recruits for UCLA Women's Basketball. The concepts are good for all sports at UCLA, and I would guess at all Universities. I was thinking of you and your kids. The best thing you can do is send in video of your kid playing. Doesn't matter if its you or the team who does the video. UCLA looks at about 90 videos of kids each week over lots of sports. Eighty to ninety percent are discarded immediately. If they need defenders for next years class, they ignore videos of goalies and forwards. If they need that postion, they want to see video centered on your kid. How does he move when the ball is in his area, and how does he postion himself and move when the other team is attacking the other defender. They dont want video of the band or the cheerleaders. You would be surprised how many videos they get that have lots of screen time of the band, the cheerleaders and half time activities, and time outs. They just want to see your kid in action. Club leagues mean more than high school leagues. Club leagues in Alaska are usually going to be pretty similar to club leagues in other states in quality of players and teams. Whereas, your kid may play for a great high school team against very poor league competition and put up great stats, or be a great player on a bad team and not put up good stats. Of course good words from the coach and good stats always help, especially if the coach has a relationship with college recruiters. Has he produced players that went on to play well at the college level. UCLA men's basketball probably wont look at you unless you are one of the top ten high school players in your state, since they are a top ten college team almost every year. Football, they may be interested in the top 50 players in the state, since USC, Florida and Ohio State get all the top ten players.
    evanflein

Thanks, Cash, lots of stuff we've heard before from meetings with our teams and recruiters, but always good to hear again. Other tips: If your kid is a defender (mine is) don't send videos with him being scored against. This seems obvious, but apparently they get a lot of these! We'll be putting some videos together in 2010 (assuming his comp team is still together) which would be his jr year in HS.