Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/19/2010 (Read 167 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Good morning, Blister.

Spent a busy weekend trying to stay upright due to some lower back pain.  Still a bit of discomfort this morning, but it loosened up nicely during my run.  Got in right at 6 miles.

My twin boys are headed off to church camp today, so it'll be quieter around the house until Friday.  Just me and the ladies (DW and DD).

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ak, back pain!  Don't get me started.  Hopefully you get some relief soon, Paul.

Perry, you mentioned hydration.  Harriet and I just picked up these http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/race-vests/hpl-020 (well she got the ladies model).  Really comfortable!

3 slow miles this morning, I'm not going to say "easy".  I am still creaky from yesterday's run...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Have you worn them much yet? Any chafing?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

We just got them this weekend, and wore them yesterday.  Harriet likes hers, and I liked mine as well.  Very soft and sits up on your back.  Less chafing than my camelback, and the product claims that it won't hurt your technical shirts (the camelback does cause some pilling).  My only complaint was that mine needed a wash after just one run (a bit stinky), but that's not a deal-breaker.

Dave

Weekly summary for the first time in a while.  Nice running by Perry, Pace, Pam, Lou, Erika, and Bugs.

Welcome to our new lurker, Skeetermc (who's not in the mc but in the mp).  Paul's cutback week was my peak week since last October.  Frighteningly enough, I haven't been over 30 in over a year .  Had I known, I would've gotten in an extra run on Saturday.  I'm guessing Amanda is not logging all her runs.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Kim.

AmoresPerros 81.7 Mi 10:59:40
            pace2race 76.1 Mi 12:50:32
            rockenmamof5 63.3 Mi 4:39:44
            WillRunForBeer 50.2 Mi 7:50:02
            evanflein 46.4 Mi 6:19:46
            Bugs 39.3 Mi 5:37:45
            skeetermc 39.3 Mi 6:10:48
            Dutchie42 32.9 Mi 6:02:12
            theyapper66 26.6 Mi 4:23:49
            dgb2n 26 Mi 3:57:28
            CaraH 20 Mi 3:07:42
            willamona 15.2 Mi 2:56:49
            VixiDu 15 Mi 2:17:51
            HuskerB 10.4 Mi 1:41:55
            Cashmason 3.2 Mi 31:13
            Kimmie 2.5 Mi 27:00

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

evanflein

Thanks for the summary, Dave! And yes, great minds do think alike, right?

I'm finding it harder to post as much as I'd like. Seems everything is busier this year... work, home, cosmos... (?) But I'm still running! Ran a "short" 8k on Saturday (it had to be re-routed and ended up at 4.8 miles instead of 4.968) and ran a PR of 34:34.6. Well of course I PR'd, you might say, with a shorter distance! But it was a true PR because my average pace was 7:13, whereas my previous 8k PR (36:40) was 7:23 per mile. Works for me.

Yesterday's run was 14.2 miles in hotter-than-expected-but-still-cooler-than-you-guys temps of mid-70's. Was expecting upper 60's with showers. Needed a better hydration plan because I lost about 6 lbs on that run. Don't think I could do one of those hydration packs though...

Today we're getting showers, and after the deluge we had Saturday afternoon, I'm thinking Sunday's race might be a total mud-fest. We really need a couple of hot dry days beforehand to dry up that trail, or any hopes of a PR are totally gone.

I think today will be a rest day, just because I have too much other stuff to do.

Bugs

Thanks Dave, or should I say thanks for doing the summary when my miles are up a bit. Smile Oh and thanks for not summarizing my slow as a turtle 5K from Saturday. My first 5K I walked in. Not good. Ugh, lets just it has been HOT. I've decided to "run more think less". Ran 18 mile LR yesterday. Ran today, feel great.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ran 9.5mi in 100F yesterday, with drinking water, and ran a couple more later.

But this evening I ran 10mi in mid 80s (75% humidity), with no drinking, then had water, gatorade, chocolate milk, unsweetened cranberry juice mixed with a bit of unsweetened grape juice and gatorade, took a shower, and now feel nauseous and light-headed.

Kimmie

Hi Blister friends,

I ran 5 miles yesterday and 3 ish today.   My girls are at sleep away camp, so Greg and I decided to go to DC for the evening. (pic on FB)  Before we headed out, I ran on the Mall, up and around the National Monument.  Very cool.   We live 35 miles west of DC, so we don't get there very often.  Had a great evening and then today headed to the Chesapeake Bay and ran there.

The running is really interesting.... I think I said this already.... my heart and legs can go faster but my abdomen can't?  That's just weird.  Did you know you need your abs to run?  Smile   I do feel patient with it, though.   

I am not going to run Steamtown.  I don't want the pressure to get back too quickly.   So, the plan now is to just run how I feel and try to remember to do some more cross training.

Paul-  hope your back pain feels better.  Enjoy the quietness.

Lou- good to see you.  Know that you are missed around here when we don't see you.   Smile  Glad to see you've been running.

Perry- hope you can figure out the hydration issues.

Erika - I say that PR counts.  That's super fast.

Bugs- whatcha training for?

Thanks for all of the well wishes.  I'm slowly but surely coming back.

Hawt and sexy

I got the e-mail today that Steamtown is full for the first time ever.

I saw the Doc today, I am still breathing.

I will log my miles tomorrow. Jeez. Get off my back.

It's hot but I ran.

I am hawt and I run. heh

I think I should train.

I'm touching your pants.

Dave

Core fitness can certainly become an issue as the miles climb. My heart and head are right and now my legs are not cooperating. Nothing serious but sore enough to tell me to take a rest day. I did 3 last night easy with my hr strap. Legs are still beat up from a hilly 10 Sunday night. Sucks too since it's cool out and I've got an appointment at 9:45 and had a great opportunity to go early today.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My core is sore sometimes these days; I keep thinking I should start doing core exercises again, but then I'm usually too wet and tired when I'm done running, and my good intentions don't develop into action.

Running the Mall is neat; glad you're having some fun running Kimmie.

I love running around the mall.  I don't get to do that nearly often enough.  We live about 40 miles north of DC.

8 or so gently paced miles this morning (8:59/mi), but HR was up at 146bpm (not really too high, but higher than my normal 138 or so for recovery pacing).  I'm looking forward to the end of this heat wave.

theyapper

On the road again...

It's gonna be high 90s with heat index in the low 100s all week here.  Morning lows are mid 70s and humid.  Didn't run today - was up way too late last night and back was a bit stuff this morning.  Will run tomorrow and make up today's run on Thursday.

Nice to see I'm not the only one hating summer.  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Happy Camper

Really humid here this morning.  Like, I had just hit the 10-mile mark when I noticed how scary the sky looked to the North and West.  Started cutting through the subdivision and picking it up and the wind,  lightning and driving rain hit.  My route back to the house took me right into the wind.  It was raining so hard it stung and I just knew the hail would come soon the way it was cooling off.  Got home soaked  and the Garmin was acting up.  I don't know if it will survive or not.  The rubber gromet that covers the mode button is loose and has fallen out.  It allowed water into the unit.  Now the computer recognizes it and then fails to recognize it.  I'll try it on tomorrow's run but it may be toast soon.  I can't find replacement gromets.  The unit is over two years old so it has lasted twice as long as the 302 did for me.  I hate to send it off and pay over $80.00 for a repair/refub replacement with the new ones priced what they are.  Otherwise, I'm feeling pretty good and my normal run pace is finally picking back up after running the marthon on 7/3.  Hope to hang in there with the heat another three weeks and then start a gradual cut back.   

I can handle the heat much better than the 95% humidity that's been coming with these 80 degree mornings. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.