Marathon Trainers

Week of 7/19/2010 (Read 167 times)

Cashmason

Oh, and  I was told as a kid I had a mild heart murmur.    Nothing bad has ever happened.

But everytime I get a new doctor,  they say something

Regarding heart murmurs, I think I have heard Cash's story from others before, so I am hoping that Dave's will turn out the same.  (Nice to see you running again, BTW, Cash).

3 very slow miles for me.  I reminded myself that this is supposed to be a rest day, so the 3 miles are just active healing, so slower is better.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Finally got back to running on Wednesday. THe PF seems to be as good as it will get. Ive determined its from my every day shoes. Doesnt hurt when I run at all now.--havent logged them yet. My work computer doesnt like the Garmin.

Did 6 late Wednesday--the bug situation was rificulous. Swallowed a few, and it felt like I was runing through a hail storm. Running-wise felt good.

Did 3 at lunch in the very hot sun yesterday and today.

Hanging in 2nd place in the Biggest Loser. Only one month to go. Time to make my run at the top prize (Over $1200--will probably use that for a treadmill if I win). Weighed in at just over 176 lbs. (down 21 lbs)The leader and the guy in third have more to lose than me, so it may be tough. I think I can drop another 10 lbs. I really have been slacking the last few weeks with my eating and being off of running.

I wil have to read back to catch up--saw the post about a heart murmer? I have an irregular heart beat--they told me to cut back on caffeine, but that it really was nothing to worry about.

Murph, whether you win or not, loss of 21 pounds is amazing.  Great job!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lou,

Can you wash your Nathan hydration packs in a clothes washer? Can you wash the bladder & hose in a dishwasher?

I was googling around a bit and didn't immediately see anything addressing this stuff.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I have washed the outside in a clothes washer, and we were told the bladder can be pulled inside out and washed in a dishwasher.  There is a slider to close the bladder, and Harriet was having a little trouble with hers after running it through the disahwasher, but I didn't look at it carefully to see if it got deformed.  When I wash mine, I will turn the drying element off.  I think that would work ok.  She took the hose off before washing -- clearly the dishwasher wouldn't get the inside anyway.

theyapper

On the road again...

Went out for my long run and bailed on it at 6 miles.  Too hot, too humid, too tired.  Hopefully I got all the excuses out on that one run so next week will be better.  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Its already in the 90s, and very humid. Hope to get some miles in later this evening. Not sure how long the run will be.
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ran twice so far today, neither really far. Will probably go again later. Am tempted to get one of those hydration packs like Lou & Harriet have, for long trail runs. Hit a local park this morning, but just ran back twice to the water fountain by the bathrooms, to hydrate.  I really noticed the sun when I came out into the parking lot.

People on fb near me are talking about the heat wave, but weather.com predicts our high to only hit 99 today, whereas yesterday Crystal was cycling in 105+ (midafternoon), so I'm not sure why people are so excited about today -- maybe because it is a weekend day.

Bugs

Murphy,

21 pounds is awesome. I would think the money would just be a bonus, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Dave,

I wouldn't worry about the heart murmor yet either. Lots of times it just ends to up to be a bunch of tests, somebody has to pay for those docs home in Aruba... you, me, and Cash Smile

Hot and humid here too. August has to be better. Down two pounds since started the diet. Skinny chicks run faster, this I know.

Bugs

Kimmie

What diet are you on??

I'm going to try the detox diet from experience life magazine.  Let me know if you're up for it and I'll email you.

Hail to The Victors!

Hello all, it's been awhile.  I see everyone is doing pretty good, surviving at least. 

Finally got back to running on Thursday after 9.5 weeks off, nice to be back at it, though I can tell this restart is sure going to be long and painful.  The stress fracture is feeling really good.  I had made it slightly worse gallivanting around Europe, but it seems to be behaving now after three runs.  Feeling pretty good to be back out there, even with the heat and the humidity.  Gonna be a few low mileage weeks getting back into it, no plans as to when I'm going to be back in the 50's.  I suspect the 2000 mi pace bunny will finally pass me this week. 

See you all around, it's nice to be back!

Jeremy - good to see you back here, and back running.  Just know that the conditioning will come back.  I think the rule of thumb is that for the time you took off, the same time to get it back.

13+ miles at HP (Harriet Pace).  I got sweetie points this morning, running with her.  It was great running at 60°, 77% humidity, and flat terrain.  We ran on the San Francisco Bay Trail, and the San Tomas/Aquino Creek Trail here in Sunnyvale, CA.  We are visiting with my brother this weekend for his 60th birthday party, and on Monday down to La Jolla to see our grandson (and his parents, of course).

Detox diet, huh, Kim?  I think I read something about no caffeine and no alcohol.  Hmm.  In the morning, I usually get wired, and in the evening just a bit hammered, so you can count me out.  Smile

Happy Camper

Glad you're back to running Jeremy!

3-hour long run today.  I'm a little disappointed that I only covered 17.5-miles.  It was getting hot for sure and the humidity was here as always.  I've decided the rest of the way this year to just break it off at the 3-hour mark and call it good.  I've gotten my  miles up and on track for the year and it's  almost time to have  fun racing. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice weight loss graph p2r.

Both yesterday and today I got affected running in the sun; it's been hot and humid for quite a while here (or so it seems), but now I think I'm discovering that the direct sunlight is affecting me. I did pretty well running this morning (99F, almost all sunlight), but have a  headache now, hours later -- this  is what happens to me with sunburn. I don't have sunburn,  so I'm thinking the sunlight has some effect. I drank some 30oz during the 10mi run, unlike my running partner who only drank about 4oz during it. He got fatigued, but he was able to pick up the pace at the end and leave me behind.