Marathon Trainers

9/29-10/5 (Read 319 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good morning. Nice hour run this morning, continuing of weaning myself opff garmin addiction. I still use it to record my workouts, but during the run it only shows elapsed time. That way I'm not looking at my wrist every 9 seconds saying "Omigosh, I'm supposed to be running a 10:11 and I'm only running a 10:19" Very excellent run, low 60s and overcast.
      MR I, I used to be way addicted to the Garmin. Now, I pretty much just look at it at the mile marks to see where Im at. So, in that regards its basically just being used as a stopwatch on my trail runs since the trail is well marked. During my training runs Ive finally got it through my head that the goal is pretty much just to log in the miles--I dont worry about pace while Im running. I'll look at my log to see how Im trending.

Bugs

We now have two threads for this week. Sad Inertia, want to change this one for next week? MTA: OK, I'll merge the threads....................... Big Week for Team Blister, let's hope we don't live up to our name. Runner's Up: Inertia 5K on Saturday Dave 10 miler on Sunday October 5th, expecting a PR (no pressure). Big grin P2R HM - Sunday October 5th Bugs - Twin Cities Marathon Sunday, October 5th. Shocked Bib# F3362 You can check for split updates. Weather Forcast: 50F - 62F, 40% chance rain, wind 8-16 mph Course Elevation Chart Stats: Third Marathon, have always ran with a pacer. Last TCM I collapsed crossing the finishline. Last year I had a DNS for this race due to achilles pain I could not get rid of and doc thought it was stress fracture...wasn't. Goal #1: Give everything expect nothing. Don't collapse. Goal #2: Beat previous time of 4:06 Goal #3: PR. Beat time of 3:57:48 Race Strategy: Pace myself for a 3:55 (9:00 min pace). Don't run any miles faster than a 8:50. Depending how I feel, I may build some cushion of 60 seconds in first half of race for hills at the end. If I don't build the cushion, means I'm not having a great day and am just trying to sub-four.

Bugs

Dave

Maybe I'm in denial, but I see no reason to cure my Garmin addiction. I train with it. I race with it. It has the potential to keep me from doing stupid stuff when I actually use it to control myself. I see it as a tool to correlate how I feel with my body's actual response (heart rate). Usually, there are no surprises. My inner dialog is usually something like, "Wow, I'm really sucking in this heat and humidity. Look at that, my HR is 165 for this mile, maybe I better slow down." I've used my 305 so much that the rubber on the buttons is starting to tear from use. I can't believe how much better my legs felt this morning when I got up. My 12 yesterday was a fairly hard 12 with some speedwork and when I got up in the morning, my legs didn't hurt anywhere near as much as they did last week. Not just the knees. My muscles didn't feel so beat up either. Amazing what a well fitted pair of shoes can do. Who would've thought I'd like Nike's? Heading out in a bit for a easy 6.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

Or we could change this to the garmin thread? Inertia, HELP!

Bugs

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

We can certainly talk garmin here. Dave - certainly it's a great tool and I continue to use it daily. I'll race with it, too. The main thing that I want to do right now is to use it to monitor my pace, not dictate it. Like I said, I was looking at it every few seconds on tempo runs. I think if I learn to run more by feel, I'll be better off in the long run. I'm racing a 5k on Saturday. I plan on putting duct tape over the thing to keep myself from looking at it.

Bugs

Inertia. I added your race here. I guess two threads are more fun than one. Smile

Bugs

Cause I CAN

I dont know what I was on before when I was training for the last marathon but whatever it was, I want some of that now....I miss the constant runner's high I'd get which killed a lot of pain
                  Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                  http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

Dave

Here's my theory Peach. Last time, you built your miles in the early spring when the weather was cooler. Those early runs sucked but not as much because it was cold outside. By the time the heat and humidity rolled in, you were in better shape and more likely to experience a runner's high. Stick with it. If you run them, it will come (intentional reference to Field of Dreams).

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cause I CAN

Actually I was already up to 13 miles before spring even hit but I get what your saying Smile
                      evanflein

12.5 miles for me yesterday... wore my new Garmin 305 with the HRM. I stopped a couple of times to fiddle with the display settings. Amazing how many options you can have! I had the old 301 for the longest time, but the display settings were limited, and the HRM never seemed to work right (wild fluctuations from 58 or so up to 220, then down again... just strange stuff) so I just never used it. I know my max HR is pretty high, but I've never had it tested. Yesterday's run was an out-and-back with walking the last 3/4 mile. Avg HR was 160, max was 179. I did walk a couple times on the way back up the hill (last 1.5 miles of the run part) to get my HR below 170. The Garmin I had before this was the 205 and I really liked the more accurate antenna and didn't really miss the HRM cuz I rarely used the old one anyway. So now I have three Garmins. We have four in the house cuz DH has an old 301 also. I'm thinking of listing the older ones on Craigslist to see if anyone is interested for maybe $50 each... (I won the 205 at our Running club awards ceremony last year--door prize-- and I earned the other one in our wellness program points contest just last month, it was on my desk when I got home from MD.) Peach, hang in there, it'll come. Do you have a running partner? Sometimes that can help with motivation. Bugs! You old multiple thread starter, you. What's your goal for TC? Can't remember if you posted that before. I'm saying 3:50....

Bugs

Bugs! You old multiple thread starter, you. What's your goal for TC? Can't remember if you posted that before. I'm saying 3:50....
                          Inertia did it. Prove I suck as a leader as I couldn't get anyone to conform to my thread. Marathon Goal, that's a good question. I suppose I should know that.

Bugs

Bugs

I think Shan is the next Zoom. She's everywhere. Smile

Bugs

Cause I CAN

Nope I dont have a running partner because I am too slow and do things during runs that would annoy another runner lol

Dave

Don't take the thread starting thing personal, Bugs. Everyone knows its MrI's job when he's around. Army 10 miler is Sunday, 5 October. My plan is to go out hard at around 7:40 and see if I can't hold on the whole way. Weather looks like its cooperating. Erika, nice run. Consider Ebay for those Garmins. Would probably get you more money than a local sale on Craigslist. Run some hill repeats and tell us your real max Wink Got a mixed up 6 in today. Too fast and too slow all at the same time. Shoes make my legs feel great and my feet feel awful. Blister on my big toe on my left foot. May take them back. Do I get extra points for a race pic with "Team Blister" on my shirt?

dgb2n@yahoo.com