Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/8 (Read 332 times)

Good morning -- a new week!  (Yes, Pam, I remembered.  Hey, how was your ultra?)

Just a little recovery run:

3.1 miles, 29:20, 9:23/mi, AHR 127 (65% MHR)

Headed to the ortho this morning, armed with my MRI films.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Camper

p2r - I'd go straight to an orthopedist if I were you

Jeremy - breaking 40 minutes is awesome!

Lou: Good luck at the  Doc's.  The Ortho I saw for the shoulder wasn't a spine guy.  I need a referal from the GP to see another Ortho.  Last time the disks were bulging I just had to rest it until the pain went away.  Hope that's all it is this time.  It's getting better but it's slow. 

p2r, congrats on going insane numbers of yards doing heads-up free. One of these days I'll go to the pool to see if I can manage 200yrd, or at least 100yrds of straight heads-up free -- I know I can't do thousands of yards at it, and am not sure I can do hundreds even.

I'm not swimming Tarzan anymore.  Trying to master the three stroke breathing for freestyle.  Looks like the swim streak will end this morning as it is raining with lightning. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Got in an awesome 9 miler this weekend - longest run since Bayshore.

Wanted to wake up and run today so I could lift at work but I needed the sleep. Hmmm, not sure if I should run or lift today.

Dave

I've figured out that the challenge of writing a weekly summary is that you actually have to be plugged in to the very heart beat of the group to do it properly.  I wasn't very plugged in last week. 

I'd like to say that I was too busy cranking out huge miles and getting back on track for a fall marathon but that would be a bold faced lie.  At a minimum, I should've been swamped at work, sick as a dog, or grievously injured.  None of those things were true either.  So don't expect much from this weekly summary even though I've given myself 3 day to get it out.

Fortunately for Blister, there was some running this week and some very good running at that. 

Jeremy proved that solid marathon training translates very well into shorter distance efforts by blasting through his 10K goal and finishing under 40.  Pam became our weekly mileage leader by cranking out a very respectable west coast, short notice, marathon (nice pics on FB by the way).  Jellyfish may or may not have actually run a marathon this weekend.  I'm certain she travelled for one but not entire sure whether she started.  Cryptic facebook messages make it tough to tell. 

Erika is back logging good miles again in decent weather.  Bryan is finding a balance between babies and mileage and getting back at it.  MrI is recovering nicely from his marathon effort and logging what looks like some good maintenance miles.   Kim returned from a well earned vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC and got back to some good training.

Still, the only really huge winner this week was injuries.  P2R and Lou are both out a couple of weeks and nursing injuries.  Bugs had a nasty bout of ITBS (and even nastier post-Graston treatment FB pictures) and has bowed out of Grandma's and our online community at least for a little while.  I'd like to see her back and running healthy again soon.  Speaking of MIA, I'd like to hear from Murphy again too.

I guess we're all a little in the early summer doldrums but if you're planning a September marathon, those 20 week training plans start this week.  Even if you're planning on a November marathon, you're in the 6 week base building phase before starting your marathon training plan proper.

See you on the road.

Dave

Name Distancedown Time
          rockenmamof5 60.9 Mi 9:09:49
          jhallum 59.7 Mi 7:52:00
          dcv2002 52.6 Mi 7:00:10
          WillRunForBeer 51.3 Mi 7:26:31
          DanMoriarity 48.7 Mi 6:44:59
          AmoresPerros 47.6 Mi 6:28:49
          evanflein 43 Mi 6:12:11
          VixiDu 40.3 Mi 6:44:21
          John A 32 Mi 5:35:08
          old-runner 29.6 Mi 4:15:54
          Kimmie 25 Mi 4:00:00
          Mr Inertia 21.5 Mi 3:24:25
          Dutchie42 21.3 Mi 4:02:55
          HuskerB 19.4 Mi 2:57:12
          Joe Nation 18 Mi 3:00:46
          dgb2n 14.8 Mi 2:06:34
          theyapper66 14.2 Mi 2:39:53
          Cashmason 12.1 Mi 1:14:25
          Murphy996 0 Mi 0:00
          pace2race 0 Mi 0:00

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

theyapper

On the road again...

Last week was an odd one for me - 4 runs, but it turned into more of a cutback week than I'd planned.  I think it will take my body some time to adjust to quicker paces now that my 3 month LHR phase is over.

Anyway, it made me sparse on the forums and I went to catch up on what happened, and saw that Bugs is taking a break and getting healthy.  Bugs, you may not read this, but hurry back.  I've always enjoyed reading your posts and I do learn quite a bit from what you share.  Hope you heal quickly.

Ran a very nice relaxed 4.3 this morning.  Looking forward to a great week!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Kimmie

good morning you all!

I actually got to run in the morning instead of at noon and I'm so glad.

Very slow and easy 4 miles with friends.  Felt tight and sore, which may be from the fast 10 miler yesterday or from the stupid treadmill workout on Friday... but so glad to get the run in.

Mr. I-  I'm actually going to lift later today... I think it will work for me since I ran easy this morning.

Sorry to hear you're sick, Dave.

Paul, I will be interested to hear how LHR training works for you.

Nice to run in the morning, huh, Kim?  Get better, Dave (and get on that summary Smile ).  p2r - I'm lucky that my insurance doesn't require a referral -- I forget that some insurances do -- hope your GP acts quickly.

So I just returned from the ortho.  The good news is it's not surgical.  The neutral news is he wants me to get epidural injection(s), and take an anti-inflammatory.  The bad news is he wants me to rest it for 3 weeks, meaning no running.  My choice between elliptical and power walking with weights.  I may opt for the latter because a) it's outside, and, b) I think I could probably get as much of a workout as the elliptical.  Actually when I complained the elliptical we have has a short stride length, he thought the power walking would be better.

Sorry to hear that you have to rest Lou! Rest will do you good (I know easy for me to say)

Sorry to hear your sick Dave!

Some good running going on here!

HI EVERYONE! Can't catch up yet though I will post that I'm having a great time! Yesterdays race was tough but nice. I finished somewhere around 4:08. I would have LOVED to break 4 but with not much sleep the past few days, I'm lucky I had the energy to run 26.2 miles especially after waking up at 3:15 and driving the 2.5 hours to get to the shuttle. Anyway race report will come AFTER I get back home. Besides the beauty of the course I'd have to say the Volunteers were the BEST!

Happy Monday  everyone.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Kimmie

I should be working on my to-do list, but just wanted to pop in and say:

Lou- bummed that you're out of commission for a little bit... hopefully it's really short lived.

Pam- can't WAIT To hear the details.... sounds like an awesome race.

And, that I'm really thankful to you all here...  This group really inspires me to keep going and going...

Smile

Oops, Pam -- somehow I thought you were running an ultra -- I got mixed up with last week, huh?

Hail to The Victors!

Lou:  Hope you can get back on the road quick!   Three weeks of no running also sounds like no fun.  

Pam:  Nice work on the Marathon!  Was wonder how you did all weekend!

Fit in a quick 9 this morning before hopping in a car to drive to Omaha airport (they have free wireless here!)  Couldn't fly here from home because the cloud deck was pretty low in SW Minnesota.   Now we wait..

Running with the kids was a lot of fun yesterday.  The team is much better organized than when I was in school...organized workouts 3 days a week, and other things designed to get kids to run more.  For us we relied on peer pressure to get out.  It's cool to see.   It's funny how so much else hasn't changed, the kids still call the routes the same names, many of the special workouts that we devised when we were kids are still the same (Roger runs and Segment runs).   Life in a small town is pretty cool sometimes...It sure was nice to run on roads and maybe get passed by one or two cars.  I didn't have to stop for traffic once all weekend...so weird.   

Had an "interesting" run earlier. I grew up in a house  on what we called "the loop". I learned to ride my bike on it. I had my first MAJOR bike accident on it. As a kid I thought it was a LONGGGGGGGGG way around it. Well tonight I learned it is .48 around lol. Needless to say I really felt like a "hamster" on the run. BTW I don't like feeling like a hamster. Anyway got 4 miles in and had enough time to shower,and eat before having to head out for a 6:45- 7:00 meet up with a girl that I met from the LLR on this site. 

Today was a GREAT day! Took kids to see Snowqualmie falls. Hiked down to the bottom of it. Got to see a bit of Seattle. Ran and had a nice visit and enjoyed good coffee with a friend. I am ready to go home now!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

Ok, I'm clueless... what did Pam do? I gather she's in Seattle, but don't know more than that.

Lou, three weeks off seems to be the standard advice. I always get suspicious when I hear that. What's so magical about 3 weeks? Seems like it's either that or 10 days. Hmmm. I was told three weeks for my foot. Then three weeks for my sciatica, same as you. A recurring theme. I think they learn that in med school. "Tell the foolish runner to take 3 weeks off. They'll probably only take 10 days off anyway, but if you tell them 10 days they'll only take 2!" I'm sure it's something like that. Good luck with it. Sciatica sucks. Big time.

Some nice running out there. Kimmie, you and I struggle with the same motivation issues at times, it seems. But then when we get out there and run, it's all good! We are an odd lot, that's for sure.

I was in Anchorage all weekend for a soccer tournament. Soccer went ok, we got 2nd again. Oh well. The boys have to really decide they want to win if they're going to break through that barrier of beating this one team they play...

Got some really good runs in. Thursday was lost to the garden and travel. Friday the weather was sorta crappy, and by the time I got all my menfolk to more or less agree on something (the gym with the pool), the weather had turned nice and it was like 900 degrees in that cardio room. Oh well. Got Thursday's 5 miler in on the treadmill, just barely cuz I had to stop for drinks so much. Saturday I had a lot of time early for running, soccer was at 5 pm, so I hit some of the wonderful mulit-use/bike trails in Anchorage. They have an enviable trail system down there. Almost makes up for the mostly crappy weather. But the day turned nice and I ran my Sunday long run on Saturday... 16 miles, 8:36 avg pace and felt pretty strong throughout. Sunday I ran Saturday's 8 miler, and it was very hilly and warm but very nice. So... got another 43 mile week out of it and feel pretty good. Just tired.

So today (Monday) I didn't run but got caught up on laundry and the newspapers.

I think you may be right about the three weeks thing, Erika.  I tried the elliptical this morning, had it set for 75 minutes, but after about 22 I decided I couldn't stand it, and went outside with some dumbells and walked as fast as my little legs would take me, about 13mm, for another 50 minutes.  I'll check but I think my AHR was about 115 or so, pretty low.  It was about 130 on the elliptical, but like I said I couldn't stand it.  I wish I had a pool I could use to try pool running.

Dave

That's some really good running, Erika.

Glad you're enjoying yourself out on the west coast, Pam.  I always loved it out there in Seattle and never got to spend enough time out there.

Given all the injuries and stuff, I won't bore everyone with my excuses for not running.  But I haven't since late last week.  I've really transitioned out of my current job now and am going through the tedious process of "clearing the base".  What that really means is that its taken me out of my regular routine.  

I'll feel better once this move is over and we're settled into the new house.  Still a few weeks away.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com