Marathon Trainers

Week of 6/8 (Read 332 times)

Well, I made the graph white and logged it as "Walk" so it's pretty clear.  I was going to say that running and walking are the same effort per mile, but decided to do some research before making that claim.  Actually that's not true, but (according to this RW article  http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html ) it gets close at around 12:00/mile.  So I guess I don't feel too bad about logging it under "running".  (Actually I think the "experiment" the author did to come to that conclusion was flawed, but that's neither here nor there, whatever that means).

But I will move it if I figure out a way to account for the shoes in a separate activity.

4.1 miles, 50:55, 12:29/mi, AHR 126 (65% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Cashmason

That is some pretty darn fast walking Lou !
      evanflein

I know you used to be able to log your walking miles on your shoes because I did it. After the "upgrade" though, you can't do it. Sometimes "new and improved" isn't all it's cracked up to be. So now, I log walking separately and just figure I'm adding a few miles to the shoes. I don't think it really matters as it's low impact miles (do shoes care?).

I can see why some of you guys like the morning running, but it's still hard for me to do. I got up and ran my 10 miles this morning while the boys were still in bed, lazy duffs that they are. It wasn't even that early (9 a.m.), but the traffic was almost non-existent, a few other runners and bikers out there on the trail. This is a hilly route and I wanted to take it as slow and easy as needed to not need to stop so much. I've picked up a bad habit of stopping and walking to recover, then starting up again. Need to knock that off! I only did it a few times on this run, making myself slow down rather than stop. Worked pretty well. 8:42 avg pace and that's cool. Then blueberry pancakes for lunch (!) and now we have the whole afternoon to finish planting some flowers and do general "stuff" around the house and yard.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I love morning running, but I hate waking up for it, myself Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dang Lou you walk fast!

Sorry to hear your not running Grandmas but glad your up to going to cheer your friends on Bugs! Hope to hear your healed ASAP hun!

I'm with you Erika! I am sooooooo not an early morning runner. In fact I prefer to run at night HOWEVER I get my runs in when I can. Thankfully the days are getting longer so I'll do alot more running at night during the summer! Nice run! BTW blueberry pancakes sound sooooooooooo good right now.

I'm still amazed at how I can run an ungawdly amount and recover quickly but  reduce my nightly sleep by  1/2 - 3/4's for 4 nights and my body rebells big time. I managed to get out for 8 miles earlier and will be doing 14 miles worth of hills tomorrow first thing in the am (that is if my body doesn't rebel)

Kids last day of school is Wed and the twins don't start day camp until 21st so who knows what my running is going to look like. I'm looking to get back into gear come the 21st. That should leave me plenty of time to train for my Marathon in October. The 100 miler in Aug is still up in the air

MTA: Hope everyone is having an enjoyable weekend!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well as much as my body didn't want to get up, I got up. Met my RP by her house and ran 13 miles in the hills. Sucky run but that's the glue that holds things together I think. Gotta bring water on these longer runs now now that it's hot. Was feeling ill the first part of the run due to cereal I ate for breakfast (won't be eating Life maple and cinnamin cereal before a run again. Too sugary) and the heat.  My body is getting REALLY temperamental when it comes to heat. You would never guess that I spent so much time in the Tropics .

Anyways back to the love/hate relationship I have with these hils!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Nice run, Pam!

(where is everyone else?)

It turns out that the brewing I did yesterday made my back sore.  I decided to rest this morning, so no walk.  I started thinking about getting the bike ready for a ride, but there were some errands to do.  Just as well, I think this rest is helping.

Dave

11 and some change at an 8:13 pace this morning.  Got a little carried away with the pace.

Around mile 7, I had one of those amazing miles where I just seemed to float along effortlessly at slightly sub-8 pace.  Makes me wonder if maybe I don't need a few miles just to get really warmed up and whether I'd be better off losing some time early to make it up late.   

Leaving in about an hour for the airport.  Reminds me how much I hate business travel.

Hope everyone had great weekend runs.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Great runs Pam and Dave...  

Pam- those hills have got to be the reason you're such a strong runner.

Dave- 8:15?  wow!

Lou- rest was probably smart.

Unintended rest day today as DH is out of town.  Sad    oh well, hopefully swimming counts a little.

I will run tomorrow.

evanflein

The plan was for 18, but I was torn with that because it's my last long run before Seattle RnR, and I haven't run 20 since the first weekend in April. But I'm also concerned about ramping up too fast after starting to run again after my 3 week layoff. 

So... I went from home and took the long way around campus, and was at 17.5 miles when I stopped at my parents and called for a ride (DS1 was still in bed!!). I made it another 1.1 miles before he picked me up, and I had him drop me off at the end of our road for the last 1.5 miles. Soooo... 20.1 miles, 8:37 avg pace. Mile splits were much more consistent than I usually run. Goal pace was 8:35 to 8:45, depending on terrain (avoided big hills, but it got hillier toward the end). I think I got it.
                      1 8:48
                      2 8:27
                      3 8:32
                      4 8:43
                      5 8:44
                      6 8:44
                      7 8:34
                      8 8:36
                      9 8:36
                      10 8:33
                      11 8:40 (stopped at McDonalds for water/Gu)
                      12 8:38
                      13 8:33
                      14 8:32
                      15 8:39 (stopped at student commons and begged water)
                      16 8:51
                      17 8:48
                      18 8:28 (stopped at my parents for water; called for ride)
                      19 8:21
                      20 8:29
                      .1 8:24

My foot felt better than it's felt in many weeks, and my hip/butt was just "there," but not bad. Tickled with that pace especially when I was constantly working to slow down (really!). Weather was cool and cloudy when I started, but cleared up and got warm about an hour into the run.
                        Hellova run, Erika!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice 20 Erika.

Did a homemade brick today: mowed, ran 6.5mi, trimmed, ran 6.5mi. I was planning to make it a 5part brick and do stationary bike at the end, but after I took my shoes off from the second run, I decided I wasn't putting on any more shoes -- drink, food, and shower were too attractive Smile

I'm still quite happy about the workout -- and it's a nice feeling to know the lawn doesn't need cutting for a while.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Cashmason

Nice run Erika.      I am jealous that you have to slow down to an 8 :37 pace.

I had planned to run 8,  but the new dog talked me  into taking her to Dog Beach instead.