Marathon Trainers

Week of 12/6/2010 (Read 280 times)

WOW! I'm actually the one to start the weekly thread. YOU SLACKERS YOU j/k

Hope everyone had a great weekend!  10.5 miles for me today. 4.25 with dh and 6.2 later by myself. Been super windy here, guess winter is here! I would much rather deal with snow than this freezing wind!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey Pam.  Cold and windy here, too.  Ran 3 miles in 11 mph winds that cut right through me.  Brrrr.

This is the last week of taper and I had my first really yucky run.  Slow pace, high HR, no rhythm. I did not enjoy it one bit. Guess I have to throw that one on the pile and lose it in the stack of all the miles and runs I've already built up. I'd like to not feel like that again on another run before Saturday, and especially not during the race Saturday.

Happy Monday, everyone.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Happy Camper

Hey everyone!  Lot's of good races and running going on!  I've been lurking but haven't had much to post about.  Work has been the bear again.  Hate it when it gets stirred up during the off season.  Anyhow, it's Monday so that  meant hillrepeats this morning and weights this evening. I'm entered with DD for Go St. Louis in April.  We did our first long run of training last  Saturday.  18-miles on rail trail and I had to work  to keep  up with her.  Ended up going a slightly faster pace than I averaged at Lewis & Clark.  Tomorrow morning may be more miles than degrees.  It's supposed to be around 10F.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

theyapper

On the road again...

25mph winds in 18F temps = 12F wind chill.  Made for a cold 4 miles this morning.

Paul

Hi, Pam and p2r!  Good to see you both posting.  Sorry about work p2r.

Paul - better to get the bad run over with before the race.  You'll be fine during the race though, I'm confident.

Yes, windy here, too.  25mph and 25° -- not sure what the wind-chill was but my nose and upper lip were numb.

9.1 miles @ 8:14/mi this morning.  I had planned to run 4 miles @ tempo pace but after 1 mile @ 7:34 (slowing near the end), I remembered my 15k on Saturday was making my legs really, really tired.  I figured the Saturday race was enough tempo for the time being and backed off a bit.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

5 easy miles this morning.

Am I a thread-killer? Smile

theyapper

On the road again...

No, you're not a thread-killer.  Funny, I think I am.

Rest day for me and then another tomorrow before 2 easy on Friday to shake the legs before the marathon on Saturday.  I'm freaked.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Ok.  This was not the week for this group to go silent because this is the week I'm not running a lot and I needed stuff to read.  AAHHHHH!!!

Paul

Kimmie

So sorry, Paul.

You know I'm always around... for some reason, this week has been busy and I'm trying to be more productive and less on the computer.  Smile

you're going to do great on this marathon.  It's been fun watching your progress.

Hi Pam!!  Smile    I can't believe it's Thursday already.  How did that happen?

Hi Bryan!  Sorry work has been rough for you lately.    Are you running the American Odyssey Relay again next year?   I am still debating.   My friend signed up a team, so I would just have to jump in.

Still taking it easy and running low miles because of my tendonitis.  I ran on Saturday with Darby for the Girls on the Run 5K.  It's been such a great experience coaching again.  Darby had a very specific goal in mind (beat 37 minutes) and she ran 35 minutes, again with the sprinting at the end.   I feel like she could run faster but she's afraid of going out too fast.... same problem we all have.    I wrote a little bit about it on facebook, hopefully not bragging on her too much, but I just love how she encourages other runners.   She would say "good job" to everyone we passed and was concerned when a girl fell,  another girl lost her shoe, stuff like that.   She made me proud.  Smile

As for me, still working on Body Pump.  I've lost some inches and some body fat, not a lot of pounds, but that's Ok.   I hope that getting stronger will help with the running.  i"m still going to run Disney in 4 weeks.  (yikes!)  It just might not be a pretty sight. 

My knee doesn't hurt anymore.  I'm just trying not to push it.   

Paul, just keep checking in here and giving updates.   Smile     How far away is your marathon from your house?  What's your plan?    I can't remember if you're shooting for a time goal or not.

theyapper

On the road again...

Paul, just keep checking in here and giving updates.   Smile     How far away is your marathon from your house?  What's your plan?    I can't remember if you're shooting for a time goal or not.

Marathon is only about an hour from home, probably leaving here around 5:30 am for the 7:45 am start.  Time goal has been all over the map - started out at 4:30, then 4:20, now 4:15.  I kind of want to shoot for something closer to 4:00, but I'm running it with a friend and he doesn't want to run it that fast.  We've talked about running the first half together and then separating depending on how we both feel at that point, but if I run the first half at 4:20 pace, there's no way I could make up the time in the second half to get to 4:00 at the finish.

So, I feel stuck.  Guess I should just be happy to know that I'm probably gonna take a chuck off my first marathon time of 4:48 regardless of how it shakes out.

So, short answer is 4:15 for a time goal.  Long answer is what I just wrote.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Short run today - felt kinda sore in hips & groin. Maybe just age & cold. Kinda looking forward to packet pickup tomorrow. How about you, Paul?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

theyapper

On the road again...

My packet is getting picked up tonight by the owner of our local running store.  He goes over and gets about 30 for the runners in our area and saves us the trip.  Very cool.  I'll get it from his store in the morning.

Paul

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The local running store in the area of the race where I'm going, puts it on, so we'll be visiting that store Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

If I don't think to mention it closer to the race, good luck to you guys!

9.1 for me this morning, at about 8:24/mi pace.  It seemed harder than it should have seemed.

theyapper

On the road again...

Ran my last pre-marathon run this morning.  28F, short sleeves and shorts, boggin and gloves, easy 2.3 miles.  Surely all these miles will pay off tomorrow...

Paul