Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/20 - 1/27 2008 (Read 345 times)

Dave

Guess I'll kick it off this week. I'm sitting thinking about our racing friends today in Carlsbad (Erika and Cash, who else?). Hope you guys had a great race. Today was a bright, crisp, windy, and clear 22F morning here in Northern Virginia. After running in shorts earlier in the week, it was a cruel reminder of the weather so many of you have endured all winter. I went out into a stiff breeze wishing I had worn an extra layer and some heavier gloves. Once I turned around I pushed hard for a fast finish long run with a tailwind for the last 6 of an 11 miler (slightly different return route so 5 miles is the turnaround point of an 11 mile run). I only went past 1 other runner so I'm guessing this makes me one of those crazy people out there when no one else will venture out. Easy miles to all. Dave

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Happy Camper

Finished the second long-run of the weekend this morning in 3:35 for 20-miles. Big slowdown from yesterdays' 3:10 for 20.5-miles. Run was okay until mile 15. At mile 18 I wanted to bail and kept going very slowly to hit 20. Still left me with 1.5-miles walking to get home. First time I have ever been able to string to long-runs back to back. It doesn't help the confidence factor struggeling to do 40-miles over two days when I will be trying to do 50-miles in one day and beat the cut-off times to boot. Good thing is I still have time to work things out. Bugs: Thats the balaclava I have. I didn't know they made gloves also. I will have to check them out. I wear a pair of 40 gram thinsulate that are soft when the temps get iinto the teens. They work okay but get wet from the inside out which makes me suffer towards the end of some longer runs. My biggest problem with the cold is gear. I have one change that works when it gets into single digits and lower. It makes laundry apart of my daily routine when the cold lingers. To answer the question about why I don't breakdown I think my biggest blessing is that I'm a nearly neutral runner. I only slightly over-pronate in my right foot at harder efforts. at 9mm and slower both feet are neutral. I have never struggeled with anything more than tight muscles and soreness. <inserts> How was corn and crab legs? Dave: I hope this cold does not come your way. We usually don't see this stuff until February.</inserts>

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Cashmason

Busg, I know we have a Bubba Gumps about 40 miles from here. Not sure about any closer. Dave, I wasn't racing today. I just went down to Carlsbad and had dinner with the folks that are racing. I think Erika and her husband hit it off with just about everyone they meet. They are a very nice couple. Or maybe it was just the wine that made everyone so friendly. 3 hour swim lesson today, half of that watching the Total Immersion video and getting comments on what proper body postion should look like. Then the rest in the pool, with the last 15 minutes in the hot tub.

Happy Camper

Bugs: Could you please post the garlic crab and corn boil recipe? We have a group coming over and DW likes the idea. Thanks!

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Single digit temps here. I know for some folks here that doesn't matter, but for some reason the cold has been difficult for me to deal with this year. Today's the first day of official training, I'm probably gonna do it on a treadmill this evening. Uck. Edited to add: Bugs - are you the Meat Queen or the Barbecue Queen?

Oh Mighty Wing

he said meat queen... hehehe (clearly my mind is not mature enough to try and decide what kind of queen bugs is!)

Bugs

P2R, Crab Leg Recipe The gloves are really awesome, you should get them. Cash, I'm a queen not a princess. Glad you got to meet Erika. Sounds like a fun race. Inertia, It's a type of cow. Sorry know you veggies wish I was Miss ND Corn Row Queen, but that's not it. I am struggling and upset. I know I have had this pain and that pain the last four months, but mostly I think I've been doing good. Each pain I have has been in a new area, and the graston seemed to take care of it with just one treatment. But I take one step forward, one step back, like getting sick. My calf has been spasming since Saturday, moving into the hard knot stage. This has caught me off guard. I was at the mall, and I got a quick massage on it. He knew very little English accept, "Bad". "One big ball" he said. Was a cutie little chinese man, I tipped him well. I have a graston appointment tomorrow with a new doctor. He should be able to get the muscle back to normal. I will print my logs and bring them with. I'm beginning maybe it is my diet, and am vowing to try harder. I also am going to try to get weekly massages, if only on my legs. 45 min of swimming, some strength training afterwards, and 10 minutes in the yucky sauna.

Bugs

30 minutes on eliptical Sunday. Did half backwards...Forgot how much that hits different muscles... Remembered that tonight while on my 3 mile run. I was feeling it in my calves and my shins the whole time. But did a decent 3 miles. Supposed to get some snow, but temps will be relatively reasonable throughout the week. Waiting anxiously for Ericas report... Bugs, get healthy... I know James was posting on the cool running board MT thread after the transition..but that thread has gone away now, it seems. I posted about this group a couple time in there.

Dave

Mr. I, good luck with the start of your "official training". Cash, given all the cross training lately, I should've been able to figure out you weren't racing. Nice that you could meet Erika though. Bugs, really hope that the message does the trick and you're back on track. I know how frustrating injuries can be when you'd rather be out there running. We had another cold day today and I just couldn't force myself out there again. When your fuel belt bottles freeze up during your run, you know it was a cold one. I'll try and get in 5 or so tomorrow.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Bugs

thanks guys. just gotta work through it I guess. Jumped on the TM for 3 miles. See what tomorrow brings.

Bugs

Cashmason

4 hours of golf counts as cross training right? Dave, I don't expect others to keep track of my workouts lol. But yes concentrating more on triathlons these days than marathons. Although Indy wants me to do a marathon with her late this year. It was a real pleasure to meet Erika, though. She is just as charming and gracious in real life as she is on the this board.
                        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Bugs, you're the Herford queen? That's too frustrating about being injured. I did 6 on the TM last night with 10 x 100ish striders. For a few seconds here I felt fast, got my pace up around 6:30. Send non slacker hardcore athlete vibes my way for tomorrow. I'm slated for 9 miles and it's gonne be in the low teens and windy. I haven't had much luck getting out there when it's been like that.

Bugs

Inertia, wrong kind of cow, impressed you could name one, no prize for you yet. Hint: Good tender steak. Good News. Today I went to a new chiropractor, mostly for insurance reasons. I am so impressed with this guy! He was VERY gentle, and he treated BOTH of my lower legs, ankles, calfs, etc.. The other just did the pain spots, and from what I have read the prior method is the "get done fast, get her money, she'll come back for another session anyway". He said the ENTIRE leg and kenitics needs to be treated. He found lots of adhesions and it was good I went in. He thinks I need to try different shoes. I went to orthotics in October, but did not switch my shoes. It makes sense, because I've had more problems than ever this fall. I said, "I thought maybe I went from rest to adding miles to quickly, but I just don't think so, look at my log, I have a really good base." The orthotics being an issue makes sense. So I need to buy neutral shoes. I am cleared to run. Doc was also very impressed with graphs of mileage that I had printed out. I had complete calendars of pain, graston appointments, etc.. He'll be checking out runningahead.com he said.

Bugs

Oh Mighty Wing

yeah for bugs!! OHOH can you be queen Oreo cow??? (we have cows that have a white stripe only around their middle... remind me of Oreo's) i'm not reporting my running because i have no running to report. my friend who is much faster said she would run slower with me tomorrow if it would help me get out the door. I think it will help us both in that regard. Hopefully once i get out with someone I can keep getting out. DF went away yesterday for a business trip - the only motivation that sparked was one for ice cream and chick flicks while feeling very lonely - my friend at work who has been married over 20 years said i'll get over that after a few years Wink
                              Cashmason

What is running? I haven't done it in a while. Biknig and swimming yes. But only 30 miles running this month. No marathons next month for me.... wink.