Marathon Trainers

Week of 1/20 - 1/27 2008 (Read 345 times)

Cashmason

Bugs, Most beans contain lots of protein. (Btw I am not a veggie, but friends are. And I don't mind if a couple of days a week are meatless.) Another thing I do is make a protein shake after a hard workout, running biking or lifting. The powder is cheap. I think a 13 dollar jar at wal mart lasts me a couple of months. Put the powder in a glass of milk, put it in the blender for 30 seconds. Tastes like a vanilla shake. You can get chocolate if you prefer it. If you dont like milk it can go in water or orange juice. Orange juice and powder makes it taste like a 50 50 bar or creamsicle. 23 grams of protein in one glass. If you like you can add a banana to the blender or ice and make it more like a smoothie.
    Cashmason

The protein powder is something like 100 calories. I also munch on raw almonds for the protein. But only a couple handfulls a day, as the nuts have a lot of calories in them.
        Just got back from my 3 mile run. Am I the only nut who goes out for runs at 11pm? Tonight's run was a good one. Very cold, but no wind. Very surprising pace and the miles went by quick and easy. Glad I snuck this one in..just gotta get tomorrows 6 in after the movie. Supposed to be colder.. On another related note. My fingers were going numb a bit today and felt really cold in the tips at times when holding water, etc..Im sure its a reaction from yesterdays cold windy run. Did take the gloves off a bit when I was getting sweaty. Didnt remove them today.. Shan great job pushing through a tough 5 today. Keep getting out there.. Weve got lots of members in this group, would be nice to see some new faces come in here and post... I need to start eatiing oatmeal for breakfast. Lately Ive been drinking a yogurt smoothie for breakfast on the way to work, then an occasional banana in the morning (and a coke zero--my only soda for the day). Lunch is a small sandwhich. Ham Turkey cheese on s medium sized bun, yogurt, a ritz 100 cal snack pack and a salad sometimes. My preference for dinner is baked chicken, and a salad an maybe steemed veggies. 1 or 2 days a week, I'll go out and eat normal not so healthy stuff. So far I have dropped 8 pounds for the year.. I need to unwind and get some sleep..
        Cashmason

Good job Murph. I have run at 2 am before. And on New Years Eve a couple years ago, went out at 11 pm just so I could make 1000 miles for the year. Think I was 2 miles short, and realized it after looking at my calender. Yes got home in time for the midnight kiss.
          Cashmason

Good job getting the run in Shan.
            Cashmason

For our Angus Queen printer friendly | email | bookmark | RSS AMERICAN KOBE BEEF ROLL This twist on a regular sushi roll is made with tender Kobe beef flavored with wasabi mayo and rolled in nori seaweed. PUBLISHED 01/07/2008 LAST UPDATED 01/07/2008 From Chef Paul Muller. Ingredients and equipment marked with an asterisk (*) can be found at most Asian or Ggourmet markets. Read Chef Paul Muller's full profile here. 2 OZ. American Kobe Beef grilled & chilled and sliced into 6 bias cuts (can substitute prime beef, Strip Steak, Ribeye, etc.) 1 TB Shiitake Mushrooms grilled and sliced 2 TB Macro Arugula (can substiture regular arugula, chopped finely) Pinch Wasabi powder 1/2 TB Wasabi Mayo* 1 TB Sliced Chives 1 Cup Japanese Short Grain Rice* 4-6 TB Seasoned Sushi Rice Vinegar* 1 Sheet Nori Sheet (seaweed wrap)* Garnish 1/8 Tsp Siracha Chili Sauce for garnish* 1 TB Pickled Ginger 1 Tsp Wasabi Special equipment needed Bamboo mat for rolling maki/sushi rolls* Sushi rice 1. Rinse rice in cold running water 3 times. 2. Cook 1 cup of Japanese short grain rice in 1 cup of water according to package directions. 3. Place cooked rice in bowl. Evenly distribute 4-6 TBS of seasoned sushi rice vinegar over the cooked rice, using a spatula to fold together. When thoroughly mixed, rice will be sticky. Cover and set aside until ready to use. Vinegar Water for making Maki Roll Mix 5 parts water with 1 part seasoned sushi rice vinegar. Set aside until ready to make Maki Roll. Beef Maki Roll 1. Place half of the Nori Sheet on the bamboo mat. 2. Dip hands in the vinegar water and scoop up a heaping handful of cooked and seasoned rice. (You will have rice left over.) Carefully spread the rice evenly over the Nori sheet to cover, leaving about 1/8 inch of both long ends of the Nori sheet uncovered. Press lightly and then lift the Nori sheet and turn it over and place the rice side on top of the bamboo mat and press lightly again. Note: You want to line the long edge of the Nori sheet up with the edge of the bamboo mat. 3. Evenly spread cut beef from left to right on the Nori sheet. 4. Spread wasabi, wasabi mayo, sliced shiitake mushrooms, and arugula evenly from left to right. 5. Roll edge of the Nori sheet to meet the other side of the Nori sheet. Be sure to tuck front end in so back side touches front seal. Press long edges of Nori sheet together to seal. 6. Squeeze bamboo mat so that the roll forms a tight, square roll. 7. Remove the Maki Roll from the bamboo mat and, with a sharp knife dipped in vinegar water, slice the roll into 8 to 10 pieces. 8. Places the sliced Maki Roll on a plate and garnish with Siracha Chili Sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi. 1 serving (or serves 2, as an appetizer) Nutrition info (for 1 full serving) 450 calories 13 g fat (26.8% of calories) 62 g carbs ( 57.2 % of calories) 17 g protein (16% of calories)

Oh Mighty Wing

Murphy - I don't even know what 11pm looks like anymore!! (is it sad that at 24 i'm saying that??) Glad to hear it went so well for you. Cash - that recipe sounds good! Hey where is Erica??? Didn't she say Tuesday for a report???? I do oatmeal with flax seed (ground finely more like a wheat) for breakfast. I like it and it fills me up for much longer than cereal.
                  Weve got lots of members in this group, would be nice to see some new faces come in here and post...
                  Sorry, chronic lurker here. I'll try to post more often. 7 miles for me last night. I messed around with a few different paces just to figure out how they all feel. I was trying to figure out how I would have done that without my Garmin. But, I'd prefer not to think about life without the 305, it's just too sad. Is it spring yet? -Brian
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

ShanGen - if you're an oatmeal fan, have you tried steel cut oats (aka Scottish oats, aka groats)? They're really good - have a nutty favor to them. They take 30 minutes to make, but reheat well. If you have a crockpot try this: The night before you wish to eat your oatmeal, drag out your crockpot. Turn crockpot to low, and add: 4 cups water 2 cups milk 1 tsp salt 1 Tbsp cinnamon 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp ground cloves 1 tsp vanilla 1/4- 1/2 cup dried cherries Get a frying pan and lightly toast two cups of oat groats (also known as Scottish or steel-cut oats, available from Bob's Red Mill or any good food coop). You'll probably need to toast one cup at a time. Stop toasting when the oats smell nutty; the point is to add some bonus flavor, not actually cook the oats. Add the hot oats to the crockpot. Cover and go to bed. In the morning, eat. You can add honey or sugar, or if you're dieting, this is one application in which Stevia does not taste like ass. There will be tons of leftovers. Cover the crockpot and put it in the fridge. Each day, take a heaping spoonful off the rubbery, gelatinous block of oatmeal and add some milk or yogurt. If you want it hot, microwave it. If you like it cold, just kinda stir it until it stops being a solid. You may have to experiment with the amount of liquid you use. First time I made them, they burned and were ruined. An extra cup and a half of milk did the trick. I do this on Sunday night and it makes enough for the week. Rest day today. Pfitz does a really nice job building rest into the schedule for best effectiveness without slacking off. Tomorrow's just a 4 miler - haven't run that short in a while. I feel like doing more, but since training hasn't been as consistent as I would like, I'm sticking with the plan I've laid out.
                      Welcome Brian.. Are you training for a specific marathon at this point? If so, which one? Mr I. I think Im gonna try that groat recipe. If I can find graots, that is. Sounds like a perfect breakfast to fill up on. Still have some numbness in my left pinky and ring finger. But that seems to be improving. Going to be 16 degrees with7 degree windchill tonight for my 6 miler..This one could be a little tough. Hopefully the Spirit of The Marathon movie inspires me.
                        I'm training for the Lincoln (NE) marathon on May 4th. It'll be my first, so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Dave

Welcome, Brian. Lincoln sounds flat. I'm sure you're going to do great. I've only done one myself but there are some really experienced folks who can help you know what to expect. Lots of Garmin addicts in this group. I really don't like running without mine. Pathetic. Thanks for the recipe, MrI. Sent it to DW and I think I get to have it for breakfast tomorrow. We had some of those groats we weren't sure what to do with. We're kind of in the same boat on not doing shorter distance runs much anymore (6 has been my "standard" run lately). Reminds me that I need some kind of a plan to stick to. Right now I'm just winging it and it's probably why I took 2 out of the last 3 days off. 7F windchill sounds cold, Murph. I just got back from about 6.5 in 35F temps. Very comfortable and since I ran my long run in about the temps you're talking about, I can honestly say I feel your pain.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Welcome Brian. Good luck on getting ready for your first marathon - it's quite an experience. What kind of peak mileage are you going to try to hit? 42

Oh Mighty Wing

welcome brian i bet it will go great! I - I will have to give that a try it sounds yummy!! So today i went to a viewing for one of my students father who passed away rather suddenly. It was very very sad and at 24 struck some pretty sensitive nerves (called pops as soon as i found out to tell him i love him) and i don't really handle viewing/funeral's well so i've been sort of a mess all day. So i'm trying to relax and get myself together. Tomorrow i've told my RP1 to make sure i don't wuss out after we are done and to force me into running the rest of my 10. (we are doing 5) I think once i'm out there i'll be fine. Oh PS new temp lowness for my running also tomorrow. And RP2 said she will run with me whenever because i just got her unlost in camden.
                                I've got a customized sort of plan that a guy I work with helped me tweak. He's come within a few minutes of breaking 3 hours, so I trust him a bit. I think my highest week is 44 or 45 miles.